TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
This is something that has crossed my mind recently and it's something that I've thought about for a bit. All these years, when I've vented, I've felt better temporarily, but when I looked at the larger picture, the grand scheme of things, the problem that led me to feel bad and want to vent isn't resolved, which means I'll go back to feeling like 'shit' or angry again. In other words, venting is more or less like a temporary release valve to let the steam out, but afterwards, I still would need to resolve or solve the things that causing me the stress or burden, otherwise, I'll always be venting and not get anywhere.

Mind you, this isn't to say that venting is unhealthy or bad, it certainly is healthy and helpful too (especially at appropriate times and/or whenever one isn't looking for an 'answer' or 'solution', but rather just to let off some steam and unload their burdens), so I'm not discouraging people from venting. It certainly has it's uses and purposes, but of course, at the end of the day, the root cause that led up to wanting to vent has to be addressed to be effective. These are just my two cents.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Stick, XYZ and 5 others
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
I can absolutely relate to this.

This is why I am immensely grateful to everyone who ever responded to my venting with advice, even if it goes against everything modern psychology says is right. Even if I ended up not following the advice, people were actually offering me a solution to the problem and it's incredibly thoughtful of them.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Stick, XYZ and 4 others
StateOfMind

StateOfMind

Liberty or Death
Apr 30, 2020
I can relate.
I have a toolbox of distractions that temporarily take my mind off misery.
But soon after I realize that it wasn't the solution and is neither sustainable nor healthy in the long run.
Drink is one of those tools.
Also, I like meta posts lol

• Love
Reactions: Deleted member 4993, Stick, GrumpyFrog and 2 others

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I like meta posts too. I don't know why, but I feel more at ease with talking. It's like lucid dreaming, where I feel like I don't have to stick to the script.

Sometimes I find it useful to articulate my worries in a notepad. And later reflecting on what I've said when I'm less emotionally agitated. And if someone does that publicly, then others may provide their perspective. Сan be useful, but now always.
Occasionally, if something deeply concerns me, I consult with my close ones, and sometimes it helps.

And sometimes the solutions to the problem are not apparent or not effective, and venting is like a temporary buff that reduces the burden. Think of Feather from Morrowind.

Reactions: TAW122, Deleted member 4993, GrumpyFrog and 1 other person
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
Venting fulfills our physchological need to share our problems with other people. We are wired to communicate with each other.

I agree with the op that venting alone does not solve any problems. Only actions do.

Venting can, however, help as a first stept in exploring and working through whatever issues need fixing.

Reactions: TAW122, Deleted member 4993, Stick and 2 others
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I like meta posts too. I don't know why, but I feel more at ease with talking. It's like lucid dreaming, where I feel like I don't have to stick to the script.

Sometimes I find it useful to articulate my worries in a notepad. And later reflecting on what I've said when I'm less emotionally agitated. And if someone does that publicly, then others may provide their perspective. Сan be useful, but now always.
Occasionally, if something deeply concerns me, I consult with my close ones, and sometimes it helps.

And sometimes the solutions to the problem are not apparent or not effective, and venting is like a temporary buff that reduces the burden. Think of Feather from Morrowind.
I can certainly relate to "later reflecting on what I've said when I'm less emotionally agitated" as there are seldom times where I look back and think that: hmm, perhaps I could have said it better, or put it in a nicer way, etc. Indeed, venting is a temporary buff that reduces the burden even though long term, a solution would be needed if one is hoping to resolve whatever problem, conflict that they are facing.

Venting fulfills our physchological need to share our problems with other people. We are wired to communicate with each other.

I agree with the op that venting alone does not solve any problems. Only actions do.

Venting can, however, help as a first stept in exploring and working through whatever issues need fixing.
That is very true and sometimes great solutions start from a vent, someone who takes issue to whatever is going on, raising the issue, garnering the support of those who share said person's views and values, and finally, start to push towards a solution.

Reactions: sufferingalways, 262653 and XYZ