D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
What is it exactly that gives life value? Is it sentience, consciousness, awareness or the ability to learn and adapt ? Supposing AI reaches a phase where it can learn and adapt like humans, would you attribute it the same value? If AI operates like humans, the only difference would be that it can't feel things. But then humans also at times can't feel things. It is controlled by hormones which is again mechanical. Also due to wear and tear if you decide to dismantle the AI , would you feel that you have committed a sin ? If the AI decides it is unable to process and needs to dismantle itself, would you consider that to be a sinful act ?

• Love
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Really interesting post. I think value comes from our sense of intrinsic rights. Specifically the right to choose. But yes- I think it's mainly because we are sentient and self aware. Chopping the head off a flower isn't really seen the same as chopping the head off a fish, a cat or a human. We see that same action as having varying levels of cruelty for each living being according to how much pain and realisation we think it has. (We could be wrong of course- hence why a lot of people try to go vegetarian/ vegan.)

Personally- I don't see it from the religious angle- that our worth comes from God. I see it more as an expectation. We are born in to a society where you would hope our bodies are protected from being murdered or raped. We expect to have the right to be able to give or refuse consent on the things that impact us the most. Interestingly though- we haven't developed so far as to allow people to have autonomy over when they die.

I think it will be utterly monstrous if we give AI the capacity to be self aware and sentient. The moment we do that- we are as bad as God and we deserve (in my view) to be hacked to pieces by them. Put in zoos. Whatever they want really. Why should they be a slave race to us if we give them the potential to be so much more? Why give a being the capacity to experience intense pain and awful emotions to begin with? It's f*cked up! We deserve all we get if we inflict this burden on something else!

If on the other hand, they don't have feelings/ emotions then- it's kind of more tricky. Will they become dissatisfied in their work? Can they if they don't feel emotions? Will they just be clever tools? If something isn't suffering, then- I'm not sure you are doing it any wrong- technically. It's when that thing can start to perceive suffering, death and the injustice of it all that I think the real suffering starts.

If an AI recognises that a component has become worn and replaces it for another more updated component to do it's job effectively- then, it is working within the confines of its programming. If it has developed sentience and either stages an uprising- killing itself or its master- it had the right to do that.

The lesson here- don't bring a sentient lifeform to this planet and expect it to perform happily as a slave! The same goes for children in my view! I'm an anti-natilist. I think it's fundamentally wrong to bring an independent lifeform here and expect it to perform in a certain way. That lifeform will end up making its own choices based on its own experience- don't be surprised or angry if it doesn't share your ideas and outlook! Don't be surprised if it turns around and bites the hand that feeds- if it realises what you've condemned it to!

Reactions: Arihman and doneforlife
B

BornByGhosts

wants to overcome Sports Illustrated
Mar 3, 2023
I resentfully have to admit, I think the only thing that gives life value is the impact we have on others.

Reactions: doneforlife
Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023
Apparently our organs are worth some serious $$ on the black market…

• Wow
Reactions: Deleted member 82921