A

Arak

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2018
Presumably not. It's nuts, and expensive.

Not exactly a 5 minute research job for myself. Anyone ?

Reactions: littlelady774 and Circles
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
For at least the last century or so, I believe that has been the case. The only difference is that back in the days of mental institutions (before Reagan took away funding from them), people were even locked up for being homosexual (which is appalling and disgusting by today's standards) as well as other things that society (from the time) didn't accept.

Reactions: littlelady774, Circles and AnnihilatedAnna
I

Iceangel

Loveless
Mar 9, 2019
While I doubt it was always like this, its been this way long enough to where its commonly accepted. We Americans (at least in my experience) have a hard time trying to understand the differing viewpoints of those that are different and will demonize anything that doesn't correlate as "normal".

• Yay!
Reactions: littlelady774 and Circles
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
I don't have any sources but I remember reading that in China families with mentally ill/ physically deformed family members would hide them out of shame from society especially if you're poor since it's supposedly already bad having an 'undesirable'. My point being is that society didn't always had to lock them up or need to cause it's presumed that they'd be hidden away anyway or even be killed instead of burdening their families. Fucked up stuff either way.
Edit: forgot you mentioned US specifically but I would presume that it'd be the same to some extent as suicide always seemed like a hush-hush topic and hidden away or left on their own to deal with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, littlelady774, Jc40 and 1 other person

1964dodge

Student
Sep 19, 2018
from the way it was explained to me by my therapist if I had suicide ideation it was ok but if I had a plan and timeline I could be locked up in a hospital. no wonder people ctb instead of getting help

Reactions: littlelady774, Redrock, Jc40 and 1 other person
GeorgeJL

GeorgeJL

Enlightened
Mar 7, 2019
Presumably not. It's nuts, and expensive.

Not exactly a 5 minute research job for myself. Anyone ?
From what I understand the only thing that can get you locked up is if you express actual plans on ending your life. Like you are going to do it soon.

Reactions: 1964dodge
A

Arak

Enlightened
Sep 21, 2018
I've read quite often about people who got locked up if someone was even suspected of being suicidal !

• Wow
Reactions: littlelady774

1964dodge

Student
Sep 19, 2018
that is very rare. in most cases you have to have a plan or be in immediate danger to yourself or others