Zetsubou

Zetsubou

Friend of Despair
Mar 16, 2023
Last time I've posted on here, I've mentioned how I've gotten a psych appointment. This is an update to that appointment, and what's been going on with me personally since then.

The fantastic news is that I've had a good first impression of the doctor the moment I stepped into the waiting room. My appointment was early in the morning, but I got there a lot earlier due to my own neurotic fear of being late for anything. The receptionist told me that I could see the doctor immediately, which was great news for me because I always feel anxious whenever I have to wait for the doctor for even a few minutes.

I stepped into Doc's office, and I was a bit nervous because I've always heard horror stories of people getting shit psychiatrists who demean them or who give them meds that end up fucking them up even more. Well, my nervousness quickly went away once Doc started talking to me. They actually listened and seemed to take me seriously, and they even cracked a few jokes, which made me feel more relaxed. After a long discussion, they've come to the conclusion that I very likely have GAD. They then explained the various types of antidepressants that I could use, and they decided to start me off with 25 mg of Zoloft. The plan is for me to stay on this medication for a few weeks, then come back for another appointment and see if anything significant has changed. They also offered psychotherapy and CBT, but I told them I'll think about it.

Now for the medication itself. I've only been on Zoloft since Wednesday, but I think I can feel some changes already (or maybe it's just the placebo effect). I'm still anxious, but not as much as I used to be. Some really nerve-wrecking shit has happened to me this week, yet I feel a little calmer about the situation than I normally would (again, not sure if this is just a placebo effect, but hey, I'll consider it as a positive thing). I'm also feeling a little more refreshed when I wake up in the morning. The side effects are bothersome, though. I took my first pill in the afternoon and quickly felt drowsy, so now I'll only take it a few hours before bed. I feel nauseous shortly after swallowing a pill, though I could alleviate the nausea by taking long walks outside and eating some snacks. I'll also get this tingling sensation on my skin, though that usually goes away within in an hour or so. I know it'll take my body about a week to get used to the meds, so I'm willing to put up with the discomfort if it means getting better.

I might do more updates later on. I'll see how the meds will affect me for the next couple of weeks and what Doc has to say during our next appointment, but I feel hopeful.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: UsagiDrop and Slark
S

Slark

Apr 30, 2023
I'm glad everything seems to be going well for you! Keep us informed

• Love
Reactions: Zetsubou
mosai1que

mosai1que

I know whats best for me
May 7, 2023
Im so happy you had a good experience! even if what you're describing is placebo it doesn't mean its less of a relief. I read a really cute quote some time ago: "maybe the patient's reward is only the attention paid to them and their opportunity to respond to questions about how they think and feel, but maybe the mothers kisses that soothes her childs scrapes are 'just' placebo as well".
very corny and kind of cringy ahah, but the point is valid and i like it

• Love
Reactions: Zetsubou and bruised