AllThePsychMeds

AllThePsychMeds

Yes, all of them.
May 8, 2019
For those AFAB who use an IUD (or can convince someone they use one).

Most guides recommend complaining of migraines. I seem to have stumbled across an off-label usage. Location: USA; northeast; OB/GYN dept of major hospital

I have an IUD. The doctor suspected it had become displaced because I'd been bleeding for 40 days non-stop. An ultrasound was inconclusive. The doctor decided to replace the IUD anyways. I have had several IUDs in the past. I have no previous record of post-insertion side effects or of severe menstrual cramping. I do not have PCOS or any other chronic gyn condition. I am nulliparous.

Nevertheless, I had serious cramping and nausea after the replacement. I called the clinic nurse. She asked whether I had a preference for metoclopramide or prochlorperazine, both appropriate antimetetics per Stan's guide. I didn't even talk to my doctor. The nurse's attitude made this sound like a routine occasion. A prescription for 24 pills of meto was called in to my local pharmacy. I needed only 4 pills before the abdominal pain resolved. Generous protocol from an unexpected source.

Similar complaints of a 'potentially dislodged' IUD might have the same response if you ask for something to help deal 'with the pain, cramping, and nausea' while you wait for an ultrasound appointment? My guess is you'll either be told to go to the ER or given a prescription as I was.

Reactions: oziinnz, GoodPersonEffed, psychoticxerror and 6 others
Abgrundanziehung

Abgrundanziehung

or Abi for short
Jun 24, 2020
This reminds me of the time I went to the ER for feeling seriously ill and not being able to eat without throwing up for days. If I remember correctly, they didn't run any kind of tests, just said I probably had norovirus based on my symptoms. They prescribed me 14 prochlorperazine and sent me on my way. So there's another idea that may work for someone too. Im in the US too.