Victoria

Victoria

Jun 15, 2021
I've been reading the rules today and came to this part

"Do not troll or proselytize, meaning do not impose your views - no matter what they are - on others or make threads to get people riled up."

And I just wondered how would I respond to a thread where I have a different viewpoint without doing this? Probably I'm just being dim but I'm just interested as to be honest I've never even heard that word before. (Proselytise) That's the uk education system for you!

Reactions: AQUA
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
There are ways to express your views without demeaning or ridiculing the views of others, just express them as opinions, and don't try to force others into accepting them.

The thing is... this can be hard on the internet, everyone has a different definition of what constitutes as proselytize, and if we are being completely honest, I don't think that this rule is being enforced. Especially with some opinions.

Reactions: poisonedminds, Victoria and AQUA
AQUA

AQUA

Headstone
Dec 2, 2020
If i had to guess
My best guess is that its the difference between agreeing to disagree if debating doesn't do anything and calling someone stupid etc if they don't believe/think the same way you do

PS: proselytize, no idea either Aha

Reactions: Victoria
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
proselytize, what is this word?

OO google tells me it means trying to convert one to anthers view point, well in that case can one tell all the antinatalismn people to do one? They try and do exactly that,
Everyone else though with all their view points, do have a pretty decent debate, so to me, no issues there :)

• Wow
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
If anyone is curious, here's the definition of proselytize.

C

Basically, don't become one of those pesky preachers that tell you how wrong and evil you are for not worshiping their god (opinion in this case)
But like I said before, some people do post like this and nothing happens to them.