Rational man

Rational man

Enlightened
Oct 19, 2021
The current riots and protests here in the UK have driven me into a much darker place this Week. I've found it deeply disturbing that humankind can behave like this. The hate, anger , violence and brutality is tangible to the point where im have to switch off news channels. If humans cannot sort out their differences in a peaceful manor then it further supports my belief that humankind is a failed experiment of nature. I know my days are numbered due to chronic illness but i cannot easily disengage from what is happening ro my fellow species, but I was hoping to see peace at the end of my life.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: helpmerest, etherealspring, LittleBlackCat and 17 others
C

cryptoinvestor

Jul 12, 2024
It is very depressing. The world is going to shit, I stopped watching news in 2019

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, not-2-b-the-answer and Rational man
Rational man

Rational man

Enlightened
Oct 19, 2021
It is very depressing. The world is going to shit, I stopped watching news in 2019
I think I need to do the same. Besides, I sometimes think that some news channels have their own agenda/ government driven influences.

• Love
Reactions: LittleBlackCat, ForgottenAgain, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
Ash

Ash

What dreams may come?
Oct 4, 2021
Someone in my town has been arrested for his involvement in everything that's going on and that's brought it much too close to home. I'm white but I'm obviously and easily distinguishable as "Other", and it was fucking scary going out in town earlier, not knowing if I could or should trust the people around me. I defaulted to "absolutely not" - and of course nothing happened - but I was sweating by the time I got home.

• Hugs
Reactions: rozeske, not-2-b-the-answer, timetodie24 and 3 others
Minsu

Minsu

Suicidal korean girl 🇰🇷🏳️‍🌈
Jan 17, 2023
I've seen some pics from the riots and the protesters look like combination of trump supporters and homeless people. Sorry for the word, but it reminds me of "white trash"

But I've got a question. How big is the group of people in the UK who're against the riots and racism?

Reactions: locked*n*loaded, Eternal Eyes, Rational man and 1 other person
C

cryptoinvestor

Jul 12, 2024
I think I need to do the same. Besides, I sometimes think that some news channels have their own agenda/ government driven influences.
All of them are controlled by the powers that be, those news anchors/journalists are just puppets and robots

Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, Lost Magic and Rational man
Ash

Ash

What dreams may come?
Oct 4, 2021
I've seen some pics from the riots and the protesters look like combination of trump supporters and homeless people. Sorry for the word, but it reminds me of "white trash"

But I've got a question. How big is the group of people in the UK who're against the riots and racism?
Calling people "trash" isn't a helpful way to calm things down IMHO.

The majority of the population oppose the riots and the racism and bigotry behind them. They'll cost a fortune in terms of damage, clean up, repairs, compensation, policing, courts, legal fees and prison and most of that will come from the tax payer. There are multiple reasons why the riots will be condemned by people from across societal and political boundaries.

Reactions: cantthinkrn, rozeske, not-2-b-the-answer and 4 others
Minsu

Minsu

Suicidal korean girl 🇰🇷🏳️‍🌈
Jan 17, 2023
Calling people "trash" isn't a helpful way to calm things down IMHO.

The majority of the population oppose the riots and the racism and bigotry behind them. They'll cost a fortune in terms of damage, clean up, repairs, compensation, policing, courts, legal fees and prison and most of that will come from the tax payer. There are multiple reasons why the riots will be condemned by people from across societal and political boundaries.
"White trash" is a term from the Trump era in the US. It's not meant to offend people, it just describes a certain society of people

More here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_trash

Ok thanks. Good that there's a majority of people who're against it 🙏

Last edited:
Reactions: Rational man
Rational man

Rational man

Enlightened
Oct 19, 2021

Thanks for your concern. It would be oversimplifying the true numbers, but Its a small number of thugs, bent on stirring up trouble. Race, in their heads, is a convenient target when infact the underlying issues are deep and go back decades of failed successive governments. Poverty and loss of hope, for younger people, especially, is evident but no-one is really addressing the causes that many people are confronted with.

Reactions: LittleBlackCat, not-2-b-the-answer and Minsu
BecomingTired

BecomingTired

Lov3rBoy<3
Feb 23, 2024
The current riots and protests here in the UK have driven me into a much darker place this Week. I've found it deeply disturbing that humankind can behave like this. The hate, anger , violence and brutality is tangible to the point where im have to switch off news channels. If humans cannot sort out their differences in a peaceful manor then it further supports my belief that humankind is a failed experiment of nature. I know my days are numbered due to chronic illness but i cannot easily disengage from what is happening ro my fellow species, but I was hoping to see peace at the end of my life.
Yeah, not even staying indoors is safe anymore, and I'm just too fucking tired of the political scene in England, it's always been such a mess

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, lunar echo and Rational man
Rational man

Rational man

Enlightened
Oct 19, 2021
Yeah, not even staying indoors is safe anymore, and I'm just too fucking tired of the political scene in England, it's always been such a mess
I know how you feel. Sorry.

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
persimmon

persimmon

Student
Jan 21, 2024
As last night's rallies showed, these thugs are a small minority.

'A moral stand': Antiracism protesters rally in UK after far-right riots

In towns and cities across England, thousands march against racism after far-right riots that led to some 400 arrests.

A woman holding a sign reading 'Peace & Love not War & Hate' at an anti-racism march in Liverpool

Protesters across England rallied against racism and in support of refugees [Peter Powell/EPA]
By Virginia Pietromarchi
Published On 8 Aug 20248 Aug 2024

Liverpool, United Kingdom – The mood was tense in Liverpool as reports spread that far-right protesters planned to target an asylum charity.
The location was supposed to be one of more than 30 sites across the United Kingdom that racist and anti-migrant protesters had singled out on Wednesday. There were similar expectations in dozens of other towns and cities, enough for the government to decide to deploy 6,000 police officers nationwide.

Keep reading

list of 4 itemslist 1 of 4

Photos: Thousands rally against racism, anti-immigration riots in UK

list 2 of 4

'Swift response': UK court delivers first sentences over far-right riots

list 3 of 4

Mapping far-right riots in the UK

list 4 of 4

UK braces for day of unrest amid fears of nationwide far-right riots

end of list
But as the day unfolded, the mood lifted as the far-right protests failed to materialise. Instead, tens of thousands of antiracist protesters filled the streets of cities including London, Bristol and Newcastle.
In Liverpool, people chanted, "Refugees are welcomed here", as they walked through the streets. One girl held a banner reading, "Will trade racists for refugees".
Others ringed the asylum seeker support centre, fearing it could be a target for the far-right.
"We can't allow people to come to attack and destroy one of the most vulnerable buildings of all the people who are the most vulnerable in the community and destroy one little bit of refuge that they have," said a local journalist, who asked only to be named as Patrick. "It's all nationalities here. So it's about solidarity, to stand up against ignorance, against bigotry, against hatred."
Police kept watch.
"I am very happy with the turnout," Hashem, a protester in Liverpool who asked to withhold his surname told Al Jazeera. "Good people within our community took a moral stand. The far-right hate is not welcomed in Liverpool."
A woman holds a banner reading 'Refugees Welcome' at a rally against the far-right in Oxford
Antiracism rallies also took place in towns and cities including Oxford [Justin Tallis/AFP]
The 30-year-old attended the event although senior members of the Muslim community had urged young people to stay indoors following last week's violence when Liverpool, in the northwest of England, was the centre of violent riots.
The episode was one in several cities and towns across England and Northern Ireland in what authorities described as the country's worst outbreak of violent disorder in the last decade.

Reactions: Rational man, not-2-b-the-answer, lunar echo and 2 others
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
I've been out of the UK for a couple of weeks, but returned now and it saddens me to see this pathetic violence. I am supportive of people having their own beliefs and opinions, but when they become harmfully destructive it's a step too far. I do take solace in the fact the anti-riot gathering last night outshone the idiots - so there is still good out there.

Reactions: Rational man and not-2-b-the-answer
Eternal Eyes

Eternal Eyes

Dec 3, 2023
It's ridiculous and a joke on so many levels. I feel if I started ranting about it, I'd be here all night typing and to be honest I just want to not think about it. It is immense how intolerant society can sometimes be. My father was employed by Muslims for years, I've had Muslim friends.

They are. There is a lot of overlap for certain. Very close minded attitudes, small insular towns, disliking of any minorities. People will disagree, but I'm from one of the towns rioting was happening in, and was best friends with someone from a small deep south American town, and the cultural overlap is huge.

At least it seems a large amount of counter protestors came out.

Reactions: Rational man, not-2-b-the-answer and Minsu
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
Name me one point in history where there hasn't been some form of man vs man mentality. There has never been peace in this world. There never will be absolute peace in this world. As long as people have their own thoughts and ideas, and others stoke that discord for their own greedy reasons, there will never be true peace.

Reactions: Rational man, not-2-b-the-answer and landslide2
willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
Living in the US, this sort of stuff happens far too often and is the reason I stopped watching the news years ago. My mental health has been on the rocks since I was out of diapers, adding the news to it is just too much.

• Hugs
It'sMyLife

It'sMyLife

Little bundles of futile hope we are
Apr 18, 2020
It is disturbing to see and I"m glad I don't live anywhere in Europe . I doubt humans are going to sort out their differences because we haven't really evolved much over at least the last 2-3000 years from what I can tell. Many of the same issues that existed during the crusades are on display here. Your best bet is to avoid it as much as possible until it passes over but this time seems different and more long lasting. What's infuriating to me is that what set this all off is being forgotten including in this discussion. There has been no mention of what started all of this (this time) as if it's irrelevant. When I start hearing someone is far this or far that , that's the media telling people what to believe and many do unfortunately. If you look up all of the attacks in the UK over the last ten years this one is the tip of the iceberg but many people have short memories . The people who forget are the ones who's children weren't murdered or attempted to be killed . 3 kids died and 8 more were stabbed plus 2 adults I believe. There have been truck attacks as well. So if you start writing this mess off as extremism or far right or any other dismissive term you're not looking at the big picture.
One other thing I'll say is this : I don't care where you're from if you are looking for a way to escape poverty or oppressive governments but no country can take in millions of people who are then put on welfare (on the dole as they say in England) and expect something good to come out of it. The citizens of Britain or any other country in Europe nor here in the US were not asked if they were ok with their taxes being used for this. Somethings gotta give and it's overdue. Most of all of our problems be it inflation , shortages , decreasing standards of living and increasing crime always come back to feet of politicians. 99% of them will sell you out in a NY second for self enrichment. If you're in the UK keep your head down until the worst of this passes over soon hopefully and ask for help if you need if from family and friends. I wish you luck through all of this
Ya think ?! :pfff:

Last edited:
Reactions: Rational man and cantthinkrn
landslide2

landslide2

Student
May 6, 2024
On basic humanistic level it's the morally correct thing to help people fleeing their countries. An when a country has exploited other countries to build its wealth, and created systems of debt (IMF, World Bank) that keep them on the hook for longterm, then you have to take some responsibility for people fleeing their countries. Even most of the foreign aid is almost always tied to trade agreements. Ukraine is fighting a war for its survival but it is now in debt to foreign collectors.

When we start blaming immigration, that's wealthy people sitting back and smiling at all the have-nots fighting amongst themselves. There is enough money and food in the world to feed and house everyone, but greed and self-interest create zero-sum systems with now absurd levels of inequality.

A study was done which showed the US would save $5.1 Trillion over ten years if there was govt funded medicare FOR ALL but the ludicrously expensive and immoral for-profit healthcare system will never allow it. It's a system built to feed off the people and govt and make $$$ for all the big players and middlemen. The amount of money spent by wealthy people and corporations lobbying the govt ensures their interests.

When 62 people have as much wealth as 3.5billion people, immigrants aren't the problem. Tax cheats cost the US 1$trillion dollars annually and globally several trillion. The UK most certainly suffers from this basic evasion of responsibility. That's "evasion" which is completely separate from another huge problem which is the wealthy just do not pay enough tax. Governments and regulatory bodies have been captured by big money. They're even good at conning regular people to jump on board their lower taxes for everyone sloganeering as if they were looking out for everyone. NHS is struggling, education/schools, social support programs are suffering and you wonder why.

The same small sliver of wealthy people, corporations buy political influence to protect their wealth and even fund and drive these wedges amongst the people, push this hate and division. So many grifters take advantage of this state of affairs to make a name, and more importantly $$$ for themselves. Straight up tried and true divide and conquer strategy.

Socioworries

They've got everyone fighting for scraps and this small sliver relative to the vast majority has more wealth than they could ever need or spend in several lifetimes.

People aren't paid living wages and are forced to rely more and more on govts for support. Those low wages are labor exploitation, key to fattening profits for the few by using the blood sweat and toil of the many. So they privatize the profits AND socialize the losses.

Greed has destroyed so much and brought us here.

Last edited:
  • Love
Imagined_Euphoria

Imagined_Euphoria

Student
Aug 5, 2024
Thats just the beginning. I am absolutely certain that at least half of humanity will die in the next 50 years. We will kill each other for the last resources in this overcrowded planet we robbed, while waging religious wars. And people call ME insane for not wanting to witness this.

O

outrider567

Visionary
Apr 5, 2022
Long time coming, seek the cause rather the result, one third of all Brits want third world immigration stopped, but Starmer will just make it easier for them and plans to spread them all out across the country, the brutal mass stabbing of those 9 little white girls at dance class by a black second generation immigrant was the last straw, 3 of those little girls are dancing in heaven now

• Hmph!
Reactions: Rational man, It'sMyLife and rozeske
Ash

Ash

What dreams may come?
Oct 4, 2021
Long time coming, seek the cause rather the result, one third of all Brits want third world immigration stopped, but Starmer will just make it easier for them and plans to spread them all out across the country, the brutal mass stabbing of those 9 little white girls at dance class by a black second generation immigrant was the last straw, 3 of those little girls are dancing in heaven now
And suddenly this website feels like a less friendly and safe place to be............

• Aww..
Reactions: Rational man and rozeske
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
And suddenly this website feels like a less friendly and safe place to be............
I hope that is the minority attitude but I have a feeling maybe not...

ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
I think people label each other too fast by calling someone racist or bigot. The news don't help as they only depict one side, the one that is more popular. This comment showcases a problem in the UK, of something that was unlawful and brutal for those girls.

I don't think generalising and blaming a group of people is the way to go, but making sure law applies equality to all that commit crimes should be. I'm an immigrant and I can see how certain immigrants are treated with privilege just because of the colour of their skin. If you're an immigrant but white, your culture doesn't matter. If you're an immigrant but visibly different from white, then everyone walks on egg shelks and bends over backwards for you.

I wish news were more impartial as almost never there is a case of one party being wrong and the other right. Usually both parties have some things right and somethings wrong.

I hope things get resolved...

Reactions: Rational man