cath55555

cath55555

Addict with a Pen
Feb 5, 2022
-15th September: have an appointment with a GP, get told a mental health referral will be put in straight away
-19th September: call the crisis line, they tell me no referral was made and therefore they can do nothing after I've waited 2.5hrs for a call back
-28th September: go back to a different GP and he puts a referral in (fucking finally)
-5th October: get a call asking if I can make a telephone appointment on October 30th to do an assessment

so basically- I'm waiting a month and a half just to be assessed, when: shock fucking horror, I am indeed mentally ill! I'm literally having another psychotic episode, I'm stressed as fuck about so many things, I've cried in front of my friends 3 times in the last month because I can't fucking handle things... and yet they need to assess if I'm actually ill enough to deserve help.

possibly worth noting that last time I saw a MH team, it was one guy who I told literally EVERYTHING to, including that the psychosis symptoms were encroaching, and I got discharged a month later when they said I'd hear within a week to ten days. the discharge letter didn't even give a fucking reason for the discharge, and the most recent GP I saw even said "there's no reason here, I see why this wasn't helpful"- fucking hello?

• Hugs
Reactions: cosmic-joke, Sannti, backtoearth and 1 other person
Unattainable666

Unattainable666

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2023
They're bad in the US too. Some states are better than others. The state I live in is atrocious!!! Discrimination against people with mental health issue is rampant. Even EEOC won't help if there is proof. It's a damn shame.

• Hugs
Reactions: cath55555
figurehead

figurehead

Student
Sep 27, 2023
-15th September: have an appointment with a GP, get told a mental health referral will be put in straight away
-19th September: call the crisis line, they tell me no referral was made and therefore they can do nothing after I've waited 2.5hrs for a call back
-28th September: go back to a different GP and he puts a referral in (fucking finally)
-5th October: get a call asking if I can make a telephone appointment on October 30th to do an assessment

so basically- I'm waiting a month and a half just to be assessed, when: shock fucking horror, I am indeed mentally ill! I'm literally having another psychotic episode, I'm stressed as fuck about so many things, I've cried in front of my friends 3 times in the last month because I can't fucking handle things... and yet they need to assess if I'm actually ill enough to deserve help.

possibly worth noting that last time I saw a MH team, it was one guy who I told literally EVERYTHING to, including that the psychosis symptoms were encroaching, and I got discharged a month later when they said I'd hear within a week to ten days. the discharge letter didn't even give a fucking reason for the discharge, and the most recent GP I saw even said "there's no reason here, I see why this wasn't helpful"- fucking hello?
Hi I'm not British nor am I living in England at the mo, but I lived there for a decade, during which I was hospitalised twice and both times were horrendous. Once I was manic (I'm bipolar) and my GP simply couldn't see anything wrong. I got referred to a psych, but he was as dumb as the GP, unable to see when I was suicidal for instance. My stay at the psych ward were appalling , the conditions were terrible, the staff treated you like shit. Once , after an OD, they put all meds back at once and not surprisingly my lithium levels hit the roof, but the nurse refused to see it. Just like a bad film.

• Hugs
cath55555

cath55555

Addict with a Pen
Feb 5, 2022
Hi I'm not British nor am I living in England at the mo, but I lived there for a decade, during which I was hospitalised twice and both times were horrendous. Once I was manic (I'm bipolar) and my GP simply couldn't see anything wrong. I got referred to a psych, but he was as dumb as the GP, unable to see when I was suicidal for instance. My stay at the psych ward were appalling , the conditions were terrible, the staff treated you like shit. Once , after an OD, they put all meds back at once and not surprisingly my lithium levels hit the roof, but the nurse refused to see it. Just like a bad film.
that's absolutely shocking treatment. I think what many medical "professionals" here don't seem to realise is that when someone is in crisis, they're still a person. honestly, they give the same advice to everyone, and they try to shove people in a one size fits all type box from what I've seen. it's appalling- but hey our government has more important things to do right? like target minorities... honestly it's abhorrent and utterly stupid. I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that experience.

Reactions: figurehead
cosmic-joke

cosmic-joke

Pharmacology master
Oct 6, 2023

I've attempted suicrd 6 times this year and been in resus or acute impatient unit with kidney failure and brain damage, no mental health suport offered. Everyone else gets sectioned I feel sub human they don't care that I've destroyed my body and brain in my 20s and they know I'll be dead soon it's shit mate

• Hugs
Q

QuietEnd

Doing the work
Jul 8, 2022
I'm sorry you are experiencing this... sadly it's getting more and more common and no-one seems to care except those of us struggling alongside you too. You aren't alone and it all f*ing sucks.

I personally think they want certain cases/people to ctb just so they don't have to deal with them. Especially if they think you aren't going to get a job/stay in a job and pay taxes.

I tried to refer myself back to the MH crisis team having been under their care before a few years ago (they were moderately helpful but I didn't realise missed all the underlying causes of my MH illnesses). Gp and mh crisis team refused to refer me. Self-referred to the talking mental health team... they couldn't believe how bad I was and said I was too severe for them, finally got referred back to mh crisis team, they identify I'm autistic and ADHD but can't do an official diagnosis and it's a 5 year waiting list to be diagnosed in my area. With that done because of the severe social anxiety (hello I'm autistic) they've discharged me without any treatment... they literally just filled out the forms.