annasplight

annasplight

endless grief
Aug 6, 2024
after getting diagnosed with BPD, I have realized that I overshare so much in my daily life with people who DON'T know me at all!! I have to reflect on how I act when I'm manic and I am just genuinely embarrassed,,,, How do I shut myself up and not overshare and spill my guts to literal strangers?????

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, murun_b, CatLvr and 3 others
Kassiee

Kassiee

I'll never be what I once was.
Apr 10, 2023
I do this a lot as well sometimes, Its just something to do with personality ig. For me ever since I've began being a lot more depressed lately I've stopped caring about oversharing information about myself. Maybe you do it because you want to see what others think of you? I honestly have no idea, thats why I used to personally.

• Informative
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, murun_b and sugarb
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Well, I personally just don't talk about my personal life, thoughts, or feelings around anyone except family or close friends. Even then I rarely even talk about that stuff with those people. It's just easier. I'm also pretty solitary and untrusting by nature which makes it easier.

also hi anna! ^^ hope you're well

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
nembutal

nembutal

everything will be okay in the end
Jul 14, 2022
i have the same symptom and i honestly view it as a charming trait more so than something that hinders me. i just make sure to over share with the right people, that's when ive had the most life changing discussions on purpose, the human condition, mental illness, etc. i think its better than being completely shut off

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and murun_b
Tommen Baratheon

Tommen Baratheon

1+1=3
Dec 26, 2023
after getting diagnosed with BPD, I have realized that I overshare so much in my daily life with people who DON'T know me at all!! I have to reflect on how I act when I'm manic and I am just genuinely embarrassed,,,, How do I shut myself up and not overshare and spill my guts to literal strangers?????
There's actually a name for this: the passing strangers effect, also called the ancient mariner effect.

A tendency for people to be more willing to disclose intimate details of their lives to strangers than to acquaintances. Also called the passing stranger effect. [Named after Samuel Taylor Coleridge's poem The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1798), in which the aged sailor tells his horrific story over and over again to strangers]

Reactions: Praestat_Mori