GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Any Linux users who can recommend one over the other? First time user here. Ubuntu seems more popular but Mint sounds better imo. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• Love
Reactions: Al Cappella and Smart No More
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
They are not really that different. Ubuntu was deliberately made simple for the first-time user, and Mint is essentially a version of Ubuntu that was simplified even further and has an interface that was made specifically intuitive for people crossing over from using Windows (at least by default). Mint requires as little effort to readjust to Linux if you're a former Windows user as possible, and Ubuntu existed for a longer time and has better optimisation and software compatibility. Whichever is more important to you is up to you to decide.

• Informative
Reactions: Al Cappella, WrongPlaceWrongTime, AnestheticVoid and 2 others
Al_stargate

Al_stargate

I was once a pretty angel
Mar 4, 2022
I've been running Mint on my 2nd laptop for years, never had an issue. Never tried Ubuntu. Mint interface resembles Windows a bit more so if you're used to that Mint might be an easier transition. Although, it's pretty easy to get a hang of any Linux distro. There are a ton of Linux distros suited for different needs. Mint and Ubuntu are the most popular and with wide appeal. I think any linux software works on both and is basically just a choice of interface between the two. Gaming is one area where linux lacks, so if you're into that, you should know.
I found this video, that might be helpful.

• Informative
Reactions: Al Cappella, WrongPlaceWrongTime, Manaaja and 1 other person
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
For first time Linux users, I'd start with Ubuntu since it's most widely recognized and is geared towards overall Linux Users. There's dozens of different flavors of Linux out there but are defined by how their packaged and what software is already on the OS to begin with.

Kali Linux - for Infosec and hacking
RedHat - Enterprise/Server
Mint - Like Ubuntu but has similar Windows like UI
CentOS - commercial distribution for businesses

To name a few....

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, hungry_ghost, Manaaja and 2 others
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Thank you for all the input everyone, much appreciated. Yes I saw a Linux periodic table and the sheer volume of different distros is staggering, but I can see most of them are quite specific for certain things, so as a Linux noob I managed to narrow it down to Mint vs Ubuntu. For instance, I definitely won't be needing anything like Kali tho it sounds cool.

@Al_stargate if you think it's pretty easy to get the hang of any distro thats good news, so I'm leaning more towards Ubuntu now, but I'll check out that vid when I turn off the VPN

@A Hole you're not the first to recommend Ubuntu, it was the first choice I had before I heard of Mint possibly being more noob friendly.

Thanks heaps everyone,

Reactions: Al Cappella and Al_stargate
bluedream

bluedream

Sep 15, 2019
Mint was my first distro, its more refined than ubuntu, but basically the same. The cinnamon desktop is really nice, which was made by the mint developers but it's also available on Ubuntu.

Reactions: GentleJerk
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
I'm curious: what is the benefit (or purpose) of using Linux over Windows?

(I know absolutely nothing about alternative OS)

Al_stargate

Al_stargate

Mar 4, 2022
I'm curious: what is the benefit (or purpose) of using Linux over Windows?

(I know absolutely nothing about alternative OS)
Linux is a family of free and open-sourced operating systems. It does have some advantages over windows or macOS/iOS. First, it's free with a repository of free programs that cover just about anything. Linux systems are also considered safer and far less susceptible to viruses, there is just way fewer linux viruses and the linux system does not give away administrator access without password, like windows does. I haven't been looking into linux and operating system for a couple years now, so my knowledge might be a bit outdated.

OP, you know how to install a Linux system on your computer? Basically, you just download it from the official site, burn it onto the USB as an iso file, with software like Etcher. Insert the USB into your computer, restart, and on startup press whatever shortcut is needed to get into the boot menu. There you select your USB and follow instructions.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: hungry_ghost, Al Cappella, GentleJerk and 1 other person
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Linux is a family of free and open-sourced operating systems. It does have some advantages over windows or macOS/iOS. First, it's free with a repository of free programs that cover just about anything. Linux systems are also considered safer and far less susceptible to viruses, there is just way fewer linux viruses and the linux system does not give away administrator access without password, like windows does. I haven't been looking into linux and operating system for a couple years now, so my knowledge might be a bit outdated.
Good explanation. @pascha_ yes from what I gather Linux OS's are inherently safer and more stable, less bloated and vulnerable, the user has much more control over updates and how all sorts of things work, and best of all its free and open source. Plus with the ability to also have a windows-like user experience and use Linux without explicitly understanding how to operate a terminal, makes it very worth my while at looking into right now.

OP, you know how to install a Linux system on your computer? Basically, you just download it from the official site, burn it onto the USB as an iso file, with software like Etcher. Insert the USB into your computer, restart, and on startup press whatever shortcut is needed to get into the boot menu. There you select your USB and follow instructions.

I'm still wrapping my head around it atm, It's my goal to set up a partition for the Linux OS and keep my Windows as is so I can run both. My ex has a bunch of stuff including the pile of old USBs so I need to get a new USB first unless I can burn the .iso to a disc with something like Imgburn. Have plenty of blank discs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Cappella
Al_stargate

Al_stargate

Mar 4, 2022
I'm still wrapping my head around it atm, It's my goal to set up a partition for the Linux OS and keep my Windows as is so I can run both. I need to get some USBs first unless I can burn the .iso to a disc with something like Imgburn. Have plenty of blank discs.
Having dual setup, you might have to change some settings in the BIOS. Some laptops or computers with windows have some inherent setup which makes them unable to have a dual setup or boot to Linux. I know because I had this issue. Wanted both, and it took me days of googling to figure out what was the problem. It was years ago and I forgot all about it, but just saying you might have this issue, or might not.

Reactions: Al Cappella
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Having dual setup, you might have to change some settings in the BIOS. Some laptops or computers with windows have some inherent setup which makes them unable to have a dual setup or boot to Linux. I know because I had this issue. Wanted both, and it took me days of googling to figure out what was the problem. It was years ago and I forgot all about it, but just saying you might have this issue, or might not.
I'm dreading something like this cause knowing my luck it will probably happen! I'm hoping that when I choose to make the partition cut that there will be no issues with my original windows os if I make sure to keep some swap space for preventing a crash, or at worst my Linux just won't boot because of some stubborn windows boot order and I can just delete it.

I'm pretty freakin sick of Windows at this point so if I have to I'll save all my important stuff and wipe the entire thing, start fresh with Linux. But maybe I should at least fiddle with it a bit first, maybe in a VM or something to get used to it before I commit.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog
Al_stargate

Al_stargate

Mar 4, 2022
Yeah, virtual machine is a good way to try. Be sure that the software you're currently using is compatible with linux. I had to go back to windows because davinci resolve, a video editing software for my work was not compatible with linux, and linux based free video editors just didn't cut it anymore.
I think it is the issue with windows boot order I was dealing with back then. If you need help with anything feel free to message me. There is lot of tutorials on youtube as well. If you use a USB boot, then you'll have to reformat USB stick to make it work normally again.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, GentleJerk and GrumpyFrog
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Thank you, you're too kind. I'm still not sure about Ubuntu vs Mint, I could ask so many questions but it's probably one of those things where I will learn as I go, and the best way forward is to try it. I'll probably leave the discs for today and get a USB like you said, as I need some anyway and might even want to fiddle around with TAILS at some point. At the moment I'm just excited about using something that's not Windows for once.

• Love
Reactions: Al Cappella, Al_stargate and GrumpyFrog
Al Cappella

Al Cappella

Are we there yet?
Feb 2, 2022
With Linux, it all comes down to the desktop environment. Mint has a few variants, with Cinnamon and Xfce being the most common. Ubuntu ships with Gnome. I started with Ubuntu, then switched to Mint Cinnamon. Mint has been, by far, my most stable experience.

Just to muddy the waters, there's another really popular option—Pop_OS. That's what I'm running now. For the moment it's Gnome-based, but they're developing their own DE. I dual boot Win10 for my flightsim.

A lot of where you end up is decided by why you want to try Linux and what you intend to do with it.

• Love
bluedream

bluedream

Sep 15, 2019
for first time users id also recommend fedora, its rolling release, which is a different release model than Ubuntu and mint and IMO its preferable because you never have to upgrade to a new version, you just need to do regular updates to have the newest packages.

GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
for first time users id also recommend fedora, its rolling release, which is a different release model than Ubuntu and mint and IMO its preferable because you never have to upgrade to a new version, you just need to do regular updates to have the newest packages.
I've heard fedora is also good. And while doing some reading I found this nifty little piece
Ubuntumintfedora

A lot of where you end up is decided by why you want to try Linux and what you intend to do with it.
At the moment I'm kind of just a Windows refugee, and hoping I can easily do all the same things on a Linux OS that I do now. Nothing fancy really. Use the web, play games and chat, have my documents pictures videos music and other personal knick knacks somewhere a little more safe and private.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog