RosebyAnyName

RosebyAnyName

Staring at the ceiling for 6 hours
Nov 9, 2023
Cannabis helps me, but I don't want to become addicted either. Is there a happy medium?

When I started to use cannabis (about once per two weeks), it made me feel emotions in ways I didn't even know was possible. And, these effects persisted for days, sometimes weeks after being sober. Is this how people without mental health problems feel? Cannabis makes me feel like an actual person with the full spectrum of emotion, as opposed to a brain-dead amoeba piloting an adult human body like how I normally feel. I'm almost wondering if I have alexithymia, anhedonia or some other form of emotional repression and cannabis helps overcome that. Cannabis feels like it rewires my brain so that I can actually feel awake and happy when sober, because normally I cannot. Normally my "emotions" just feel like anxiety and brainfog.

However, I'd hate to become addicted to a substance just to feel normal. I'd rather not rely on it, even if I use it infrequently.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or, did you stop cannabis in favour of a superior alternative (and what was that alternative)? Is it possible to use cannabis for healing / overcoming emotional repression without it being an addiction?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Painfu.Ll.suffering, Dangerdonkey333, Lostandlooking and 1 other person
UsagiDrop

UsagiDrop

“What a beautiful day to haunt the earth.”
Apr 27, 2023
I might have an unpopular opinion but I think weed is just like any drug. You use it, it helps for a bit, and then eventually it just becomes a bandaid to a much bigger problem. You'll get used to the feeling and begin to use more frequently, or consume it in a different way, just to feel the high again.

I don't think it's possible to use weed to heal on your own. I believe it can help with certain mental health struggles, especially anxiety, but that depends on the person and how they react to it. But it definitely won't heal you, at best it can just be a tool to help you cope with things better and help you feel alive.

I've been smoking frequently for years and it hasn't really helped me tackle anything. In my personal experience, weed has the potential to stagnate me. I think it's best not to rely on it, although using it to get through life and cope is fine.

The ulterior thing I'm using is just trying to get through some days sober and learn how to be used to whatever my baseline feelings are. I also struggle with my alcohol use too but I have some days where I put both down. Those are my roughest days but the emotions that I feel or don't feel when I'm not inebriated are valid and they're the ones I really need to listen to if I want to heal or recover even slightly, if that makes sense. When I abuse substances I'm just pushing those feelings to the back of my head, which works wonderfully in the moment but has been bad in the long run. I'm currently trying to ween myself off of all the drugs I do but I've been in this pit for so many years that it's really difficult. I hope that you won't reach this point and rely too heavily on weed.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Cherry Crumpet, todeswunsch and Dangerdonkey333
Dangerdonkey333

Dangerdonkey333

Crann Bethadh
Nov 19, 2023
I feel like it does help too. But I try to use it sparingly. As Usagi said, you can build up a tolerance to it, or become dependant. It's a lot like alcohol. Moderation is key.

• Love
Reactions: UsagiDrop
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Once every couple weeks is not that much so it should be fine. If I'm not mistaken it takes around 3-5 weeks for the cannabinoid receptors to return back to normal, although I guess that depends on the person and how much they've used. It sounds like you've experienced great benefits already, but more is not necessarily better. If you find yourself building a tolerance or craving more then it might be a good time for a break. Otherwise it is kind of like postponing current problems until later. You might also want to give CBD a shot. It can work well in conjunction with THC or as a standalone, but as always, depends on the person.

Reactions: Cloud Busting
todeswunsch

todeswunsch

On overtime in life
Oct 19, 2023
Cannabis helps me, but I don't want to become addicted either. Is there a happy medium?

When I started to use cannabis (about once per two weeks), it made me feel emotions in ways I didn't even know was possible. And, these effects persisted for days, sometimes weeks after being sober. Is this how people without mental health problems feel? Cannabis makes me feel like an actual person with the full spectrum of emotion, as opposed to a brain-dead amoeba piloting an adult human body like how I normally feel. I'm almost wondering if I have alexithymia, anhedonia or some other form of emotional repression and cannabis helps overcome that. Cannabis feels like it rewires my brain so that I can actually feel awake and happy when sober, because normally I cannot. Normally my "emotions" just feel like anxiety and brainfog.

However, I'd hate to become addicted to a substance just to feel normal. I'd rather not rely on it, even if I use it infrequently.

Does anyone else feel this way? Or, did you stop cannabis in favour of a superior alternative (and what was that alternative)? Is it possible to use cannabis for healing / overcoming emotional repression without it being an addiction?
I used to smoke about 3 joints a day, everyday. I understood that I was addicted to it, but I felt it was being more beneficial then harmful. I never had bad trips or anything like that. I still find myself being better overall under the influence.
I completely stopped smoking 6 months ago cuz I moved to my parents house. It wasn't that hard as I believed it would be.
I take a lot of meds now, and none of them are as effective as weed. Even pregabalyn that should ease the anxiety is not as good as weed for that. I don't know why but weed just work well with me.
I will get back to smoke it when I move to live by myself again. I don't care about being addicted - I already have to take daily meds. I just work better with it. Social Anxiety is my greatest problem currently, and weed helps a looot with it.
In order to harm reduction I use these weed vapers, so there`s no combusted smoke. Having a bubbler or sth to make the vapor colder is also nice. Edibles are interesting but not my thing.
A really nice cannabis product is the RSO Oil. Easy to make, easy to consume, and healthier than smoking. I god nice experience with it. Worth taking a look

N

never mind me

Student
Nov 7, 2022
I smoke weed regularly (at least 3-4 times a week) since 2009 and daily since 2016 with some breaks of a few weeks maximum in between. I feel it helps me to have a more balanced mood (i.e. less ups and downs and feeling happier and mellower) overall and also it helps to go to sleep at a reasonable time when I need to for work. If I am on holidays somewhere where I can't smoke it's not a big deal for me, I might need a little bit more time in order to go to sleep than when I smoke weed, but that's about all. So for me it's really worth it and I don't feel it has any negative impact on my life. However, I smoke mostly only in the evening before going to sleep and only tiny amounts, only on week-ends I might smoke more and earlier in the day.

Cherry Crumpet

Cherry Crumpet

Hiraeth
May 7, 2018
It helped me tremendously, but I also used it as a crutch to avoid facing reality and my real life problems. But, when you feel like absolute shit sometimes whatever will help.. eh?

But, I developed a HUGE tolerance for it. I used to take one 10mg gummy in the afternoon to offset the 'my life is shit and I'm a failure' general mood I'd sink into. But I ended up needing more and more until I could take 40mg and still only be slightly buzzed.

I took a tolerance break of over a month. Tried half of the gummy again, felt absolutely nothing. Important thing of note: don't get hooked on one strain or one product, it will fuck up your tolerance even worse than usual. I switched to using a disposable vape and while it's not the 'calm happy' effect as strongly as the gummy, it does help. Hope that makes sense?

Reactions: Cloud Busting
Spiritual survivor

Spiritual survivor

A born again but occasionally suicidal
Feb 13, 2022
What makes cannabis dangerous is that it seems like it doesn't affect u negatively but u will realize when u try to quit after daily use that u might think more clearly off it. Your ability to problem solve will likely improve. U might have less anxiety if u quit weed even though initially it relieved it, can turn into the opposite after u use for awhile. Being myself addicted to cannabis, I can't really say what is right for u. There appears to be people who are better off on it than off it depending on your circumstances, but there is also people who are better off to quit using. There are people who function well despite being heavy users and some people who function poorly even if they don't use large quantities. I think it depends on the individual, but I won't sit here and say it isn't harmful because it can be. There's tons of good videos on YouTube about how marajuana affects people and u should watch those to get more in depth info. Addiction mindset is a good YouTube channel that can help u decide. The guy does discourage weed use but it still provides information or u can find other channels thru that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: NumbItAll
T

ThisUnrest

Seeking personal sovereignty
Aug 15, 2023
I like the Addiction Mindset guy too. He seems to be one of the only ones acknowledging how long the physical effects of quitting can actually last! He isnt preachy about it either, whereas many videos or articles are. Many places say its only a couple days or weeks to be over it.. it took me wayyy longer. And its not just in your head, it can be very physical.
I adored weed. I loved how it helped me feel calm and happy and in a generally better mood about everything. I smoked high% thc weed almost every day for a few years, until it stopped working. I didnt realize that without it that i totally couldnt sleep. And then it started causing intense anxiety afterwards, that was the worst. After i quit, it probably took me a good five months to get past the worst effects. Very bad anxiety, high blood pressure, sleeplessness and lots of panic attacks. In retrospect i should have tapered off, but i was too scared of feeling bad and stopped abruptly. Almost nine months later now, I can sleep better and remember lots of dreams. Probably saving lots of money on not buying it.
I still really miss weed and I think it can be really helpful for some people. It just depends on the person, what kind and what strength you prefer, and how much of it you have. Just like alcohol or anything else. I definitely do not agree with it being illegal, that's a stupidly outdated policy.

Last edited:
Cloud Busting

Cloud Busting

Formerly pinkribbonscars
Sep 9, 2023
If marijuana helps, I don't see the harm. With such responsible, moderated use, I imagine the risk of addiction is negligible here.

One pro of weed is that- unlike anti-depressants- there is no risk of overdose or withdrawal. Marijuana addiction is exclusively psychological.

It isn't without risks of course. For me, I find if I'm using it as a crutch or an escape, or toking all day everyday, that it's time to re-evaluate my priorities. To me, weed just makes life more enjoyable overall (unless I'm depressed; then even weed does nothing for me. I guess we're different in this regard.)

Just monitor your use, and if you experience adverse effects, have increased your tolerance, or are concerned about your use, act accordingly. It sounds like weed is benefiting you from what you've said. If it helps, who cares?

I myself am very interested in psychedelics to treat my depression, and I don't care what anyone thinks. I imagine I'll always need some chemical help, and anti-depressants don't work for me at all.

time2fly47

time2fly47

Cowboy
Nov 25, 2023
Yea and no. Too much will dull the mind and too little with just tickle the brain with dopamine while keeping you in depression. Find the balance.