DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Anything metal will absorb radio signals, so coax cables are shielded from external radio signals. The shield is grounded. One pathway is faster than the other, so if the copper conductor was not shield, you would get "ghosting" - a ghost image on your TV set. The higher definition the TV, the more susceptible it is to poor connections. (This is for anyone who still has cable or satellite).
Why they still use coax is for another post!

Coax cable:
IMG 9910

In a high rise building (say a hotel), stack for TV's - cables go vertically. (You have a plumbing stack, electrical stack - your risers)

TV's go to electronic recycle.
For garbage they charge by weight and it goes directly into the landfill. For recycling, a company can own the compactor, a trucking company picks up the recycle for free and then the recycling plant pays them for it. And then charges a higher markup on bales of cardboard and paper to paper companies to make more paper instead of using trees.

Steel is so cheap today that we have to pay to have our scrap taken away. Since cheap steels comes from China, US steel hasn't been what it was like the 1800's or 1920's. Look up "Virgin Steel" sometime. They had to use steel from sunken WWII battleships to build rooms for some sophisticated computer work because the old steel wasn't coated with Cold War era global nuclear background fallout from all the testing. (Maybe more on this in a different post to also clarify my oversimplification haha). Early cars were all virgin steel from the steel plant, now new cars are all recycled completely (and made of fiber class, plastic, ect), (so that's part of why the new ones rust so quickly, better electrolysis now for painting).

For scrappers now, it's the electronica and expensive metals like copper, brass, bronze. To be fair, I last checked the price a year ago but the price of steel scrap at the time was about $0.20 a pound. And that's good clean recycling materials that are actually worth something – messy ones have to be landfilled. At $0.20/lb, a scrapper will gladly pick up steel (even at $0.05/lb they'll pick up easy scrap). Copper is valuable for scrappers. The scrappers I know love copper (pipes, wires, electric motor cores), and don't like circuit boards. Electrics are valuable (a lot of minerals and rare earths) in recycling scrap but they have to send the circuit boards overseas to Indonesia and stuff to have kids scrape all the components off because that first part of separation is expensive. Stainless steel can be valuable. Not so much brass and zinc even though it's used a lot. But the problem is separating it out is the expensive part. Brass and especially bronze are valuable if you have large quantities of the same alloy, but small quantities of mixed alloys are harder to deal with.
Portland cement uses a lot of recycled crap and stuff compared to "virgin" concrete, different brands of concrete, a lot of building material is being recycled now and I wonder what that does to the strength. Cement is just cement, concrete is cement with aggregate (more traction and looks), concrete is cured permanently so it doesn't melt again like asphalt (ground up pebbles oil and tar), so its easier to recycle just oil and tar and add new oil and stuff so those big road machines strip up 2-3 inches of pavement on the toad and then a big truck comes behind and scoops it up to recycle.
Our friend Mr. German will correct me and I'm exaggerating but Germans have like 15 recycle bins and are very anal about building materials - get bad crap in them when they get recycled (like concrete when they knock down a building, they try to separate it as good as possible).
In the US I've seen a stream lined recycling plant that the conveyor would go through a water bath, so things float, then air sprayed, so light things get blown off, then magnets, ect.

2/3rds of the cost of a TV is the screen. "At the turn of the century, a flat screen TV would cost around 17% of the median income of the time ($42,148). In the early aughts though, prices began to fall quickly. Today, a new TV will cost less than 1% of the U.S. median income ($54,132)."
It used to be cost effective to fix vacuum tube TV's (vs flat screens now).

Big hotels use hospitality specific TV's, so you can change the menu through a factory reset but it's in the network card which is active even when the TV is off, so it's networked differently.

• Informative
Reactions: AbusedInnocent and 3/4Dead