Jun 14, 2023
what does that mean really?
it's kinda vague imo (or im just dumb)

like do you have to do a thing that you hate that might help you recover (like opening up to other people that you don't really like) before having the choice to ctb??

sorry if something i said here is confusing im kinda tired

• Hugs
Reactions: Harrow, jar-baby, Praestat_Mori and 3 others
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
You're right but, don't get me wrong, before ctb it is still good to try to recover with as many methods as you can possibly access. Of course, you can decide which ones to do for example if you don't think one way of recovery would be fitting for you or help you in any way. Anyways, please do try to use some methods of recovery if possible and if that doesn't work then the next thing to do is yours to decide. I hope you recover quickly if you ever decide to take my advice and I send you my best regards. I will respect you in every decision that you make.

• Love
Reactions: Harrow, Epsilon Lyrae, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It just sounds like anti-choice/pro-life preaching. I cannot stand people who believe in prolonging suffering and are against the right to die.
To me that's just insensitive nonsense as nobody is obligated to continue existing here, people have the right to leave this world exactly when they wish to and it's not something for other people to have a say in, pro-life people should just mind their own business and not force their views onto other people as after all not everyone even wants to exist in this harmful world filled with endless suffering.
For me personally the only thing that appeals to me is permanently not existing, I don't see existence as being desirable at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: UndeadSpectre, Rogue Proxy, sadandlonely99 and 3 others
WoundedComrade

WoundedComrade

Aug 28, 2023
It's an unnecessary thing to say. Anybody seriously considering suicide has probably already exhausted all of their options and have tried everything to better themselves . Sometimes "recovery" isn't possible, some people are just incompatible with this world

• Love
Reactions: ApathyToLife, LonelyKitten, Cepi and 5 others
Death is my goal

Death is my goal

pathetic failure
Aug 25, 2022
who's willing to ctb don't have any other option

• Love
Reactions: LonelyKitten, Praestat_Mori, アホペンギン and 1 other person
dialogos

dialogos

Experienced
Jul 5, 2023
A
It's an unnecessary thing to say. Anybody seriously considering suicide has probably already exhausted all of their options and have tried everything to better themselves . Sometimes "recovery" isn't possible, some people are just incompatible with this world
Actually there are lots of people here who have not looked at any other options at all. Like that sexually and physically abused woman who wanted to die because "Im not a good person, I deserve to die"? She was driven nuts by her abuser, lost all self worth because her abuser kept saying it to her every hour every day. There are teenagers posting here with good environments who want to die because of unrequited love. Im choosing ctb myself but it doesn't mean what works for me is the same for everyone. Its an extreme decision for dire circumstances. But for some, they only need help to get thru their trials which are temporary. I want to help those crying for help, and for some of them, ctb isn't the answer... yet

Last edited:
Reactions: Epsilon Lyrae
WoundedComrade

WoundedComrade

Aug 28, 2023
Actually there are lots of people here who have not looked at any other options at all. Like that sexually and physically abused woman who wanted to die because "Im not a good person, I deserve to die"? She was driven nuts by her abuser, lost all self worth because her abuser kept saying it to her every hour every day. There are teenagers posting here with good environments who want to die because of unrequited love. Im choosing ctb myself but it doesn't mean what works for me is the same for everyone. Its an extreme decision for dire circumstances. But for some, they only need help to get thru their trials which are temporary. I want to help those who crying for help, and for some of them, ctb isn't the answer... yet
I know that, that's why i said "probably". I never said every single person considering suicide is completely hopeless which is what your reply is making it seem like I said. Yes there are some people who haven't looked at other options at all but I doubt that's case for most here.

dialogos

dialogos

Experienced
Jul 5, 2023
I know that, that's why i said "probably". I never said every single person considering suicide is completely hopeless which is what your reply is making it seem like I said. Yes there are some people who haven't looked at other options at all but I doubt that's case for most here.
Im sorry that's not what I meant. Just scroll up to the 10th page of the forum. Check the recommended links below the the topics pages, these others seem to be half of those who post here. There are days I browse here morning to late night just reading, plenty of high schoolers and young people losing hope, abused or neglected partners who are seriously into ctb. some of them succeeded. Its sad coz unlike those who really need to ctb, their problems were harsh but not hopeless.

Reactions: WoundedComrade
WoundedComrade

WoundedComrade

Aug 28, 2023
Im sorry that's not what I meant. Just scroll up to the 10th page of the forum. Check the recommended links below the the topics pages, these others seem to be half of those who post here. There are days I browse here morning to late night just reading, plenty of high schoolers and young people losing hope, abused or neglected partners who are seriously into ctb. some of them succeeded. Its sad coz unlike those who really need to ctb, their problems were harsh but not hopeless.
it's alright, maybe it's just a misunderstanding on my part, i'll check it out 👍

• Hugs
Reactions: dialogos
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
What I've found is that we are all different, when people have complex problems there is often no single solution that works for everyone. Unfortunately all we can do is try different treatments or therapies until we find something that works, if indeed anything can work. You might get a good doctor or therapist that spots what you need or you might just get lucky and find it yourself. Pretty much though it can be a lottery

• Hugs
Reactions: LonelyKitten, nicotine_goblin, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
day

day

Global Mod
Jun 24, 2023
I see recovery as something almost impossible when you've hit such a low. It's like a switch turned off when I attempted CTB for the first time. At this point I genuinely feel recovery is horrible as I can't stand this world anymore and a lot of the people in it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Rogue Proxy, LonelyKitten, Praestat_Mori and 3 others

Jun 14, 2023
im really scared that i might make the wrong decision (even though it's entirely my choice) because everyone will hate/laugh at me

that doesn't really matter when im dead but still...

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and dialogos
Arihman

Arihman

Efilist, atheist, pro-right to die.
Jun 8, 2023
I won't discourage people from doing what they can to recover if that is their wish, and I won't tell anyone to ctb if they want live, but I have a problem with that line if thinking. Which is: what if you don't have the motivation and the will to recover, and you just don't want to do expend effort in doing all that it would take because to you life is just vomit worthy by its nature?

In order to recover (assuming it's a possibility, which it isn't guaranteed at all to be), effort is required, and thus you need to want it, and, to quote Schopenhauer, you can do what you want, but you can't want what you want. Yes, there is discipline, but discipline is a tool to get what you want, at the end of the day.

So, if someone doesn't want it, even if recovery is not objectively too unrealistic in terms of odds, then what's the plan? Forcing people to want it, or perhaps dragging them kicking and screaming to a therapist?

Reactions: ApathyToLife, LonelyKitten, jar-baby and 1 other person
H

Hotsackage

Enlightened
Mar 11, 2019
i dont know, we are so medically inferior. there is no magic pill, or therapy. but that doesnt mean you cant find something that works for you. if thats what you want. God bless

• Yay!
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and dialogos
A

AerialBoundaries

The Songs of Distant Earth.
Sep 18, 2022
Recovery is the brass ring that's been hung in front of me my whole life. All I wanted was to live a normal, decent quality of life. I didn't ask to be born and I certainly didn't ask to turn out this way.

I may be a failure by societal standards, but I've also been failed. Severely.

I go through short lived phases were I get the unfounded belief that I will improve, that I can do something with my life and no longer be stuck in the perpetual Groundhog Day, that is my miserable life. I start working out, eating right, attempt to go out more and have a more positive outlook in general. My family notice it. I look better, I will go visit for Sunday dinner and return their phone calls etc., when I'm usually distant. Eventually the realisation sets in, that it's all for nothing and there is no recovery for the likes of me. It's too late. I could wake up tomorrow with no mental health issues, but there's no way forward for me. I've wasted the prime of my life. I'll never get that back, or get the opportunity to have a decent career, start a family and so forth. My mood reverts back to its usual state, I shut myself off from everybody and everything, relapse with alcohol and each time it gets worse, with escalating self destructive behaviour.

I just want the false hope to stop.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
dialogos

dialogos

Experienced
Jul 5, 2023
Recovery is the brass ring that's been hung in front of me my whole life. All I wanted was to live a normal, decent quality of life. I didn't ask to be born and I certainly didn't ask to turn out this way.

I may be a failure by societal standards, but I've also been failed. Severely.

I go through short lived phases were I get the unfounded belief that I will improve, that I can do something with my life and no longer be stuck in the perpetual Groundhog Day, that is my miserable life. I start working out, eating right, attempt to go out more and have a more positive outlook in general. My family notice it. I look better, I will go visit for Sunday dinner and return their phone calls etc., when I'm usually distant. Eventually the realisation sets in, that it's all for nothing and there is no recovery for the likes of me. It's too late. I could wake up tomorrow with no mental health issues, but there's no way forward for me. I've wasted the prime of my life. I'll never get that back, or get the opportunity to have a decent career, start a family and so forth. My mood reverts back to its usual state, I shut myself off from everybody and everything, relapse with alcohol and each time it gets worse, with escalating self destructive behaviour.

I just want the false hope to stop.
Exactly, you've done everything so now you know.
The problem is some people won't do even one thing at all.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It's going to depend on the individual. Some people will always see suicide as an unacceptable choice- no matter what. To them- I imagine living will always be prefarable to dieing and to them- it's down to that individual to try every possible thing to keep themselves in the pink.

Weirdly though- I think in some cases- they will react to someone with physical illness differently to one with mental illness- or in situational difficulties. They may not actually expect the physically ill person to endure experimental treatment or- to simply wait until a treatment is available. Weirdly- to me anyway- I get the impression there is much more 'license' to experiment on the mentally ill. (It has to be experimental if they don't properly understand how the brain works.) There are people here in a worse condition because of the treatments they received! I find it really weird that people seem to think that that's ok. That people still shouldn't be given the choice. They ought to risk everything- just to keep breathing.

As a personal decision though- I think you need to have a really good think about things. If you say- you're afraid of making the wrong decision- then- you have doubts. So- I guess- explore that. What's the alternative? How do you go about making your life better? Are you prepared to do that? Are there things you still want to try?

Reactions: Epsilon Lyrae
J

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
My circumstances may not be hopeless but if I did put in the effort to recover, I'm not sure what it'd be for. What I have to look forward to. Or at least, what's worth the effort of attempting recovery. I don't see the appeal of most lives— I think a lot of us are just biased in favour of existing largely because of our biology.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Unless you know what's causing your (mental) health problems it's simply trial and error. Basically it depends what you consider helpful for a possible recovery.

If you come to the conclusion at some point that you tried everything and your life / (mental) health) doesn't improve then you tried everything. But only you can decide that for yourself.

Reactions: carac
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
一度気になって、あなたの名前を翻訳してもらったことがあります。バカペンギン?
Yes, my name means stupid penguin. I used to study some japanese so I made my name that, to avoid anyone figuring out that I'm on this website.

Reactions: Rogue Proxy, Kera and Praestat_Mori
Kera

Kera

Experienced
Jul 16, 2023
Yes, my name means stupid penguin. I used to study some japanese so I made my name that, to avoid anyone figuring out that I'm on this website.
Really clever!! I think the name is cute though. I love penguins. They're as lovable as they are clumsy, as droll as they are grave. The upright stiff gait, their movements are often funny and touching at the same time. Simply fascinating. But if you want to survive, you have to be tough.

Japanese is a very beautiful language. With its completely different writing system, the Japanese script looks very exotic.

• Love
Reactions: アホペンギン
C

cowie

Student
Oct 25, 2022
I would say just try the reasonable options before CTB:

- some kind of therapy
- medication
- leaving toxic living situation or relationship or job if possible

If you can still imagine a reasonably possible scenario where you are happy enough to keep going, I think that's enough to keep trying to achieve those things. If you can't imagine any scenario, then that's when my logic says CTB time.

Reactions: spiritedawaytotoro and Harrow