N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Maybe this title sounds a little arrogant as if I had all the wisdom. I think I am not that smart. I have my own mistakes, I am far far away of being perfect. There are people who are way wiser or smarter than me.
But I try to think critically. Here are some tips and tricks which helped me to to make progress. These are just my thoughts they can contain faults as I said.

Be careful with advices which come from the internet. There is so much bullshit and fake news. At the same time I have to emphasize also the media can't be fully trusted. Most media outlets are just companies which want to maximize their profit. On the internet it is important to have media savvy. Some sources should not be trusted. Try to take advices always with a grain of salt when you are not sure about the other person's intentions.
It is better to have a little bit too much mistrust than being too naive. On the other hand you should not become too paranoid. (This happens to me often.)

It is helpful to read about biases which humans often have. Like the Dunning-Kruger-effect or the confirmation bias. It is useful to know much about the human brain or mind to have a better understanding of yourself. If you have a mental illness it is often useful to read about literature about it in order to recognize different shifts in your thinking pattern. This was really helpful for me. However I was a little bit too much obsessed with my pathological behaviors.

Talk with people who have other opinions than you. For example in politics this is important. Many people in politics simply support one group for example liberal or conservative. But thinking critically is not about winning an argument or that your worldview always has to be confirmed. Try to learn from other people. Allow the thought that your own worldview can have flaws. (This is really difficult for me. I have more or less a big overconfidance bias which shows that I am probably not that smart which makes this whole thread kind of pointless. I mean who should listen to my advices?)

Yeah politics has become a big war which can tear even families apart. Ideologies should always be questioned. Especially dogmas which pretend they were the only and full truth. An healthy amount of scepticism is always good. Not always is the majority right. Sometimes the unpopular opinion is true. Sometimes it is unpopular to tell the truth because it is uncomfortable for powerful people and questions the whole system.

What do you think about these advices? Where have I made mistakes. And of course always also take my advices with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: AfterLife and PreussenBlueJay
Silenos

Silenos

Ṿ̸̄Ọ̶͂Ỉ̶͉D̴̞͝ ̴̲̐A̷̾͜W̷̪͒Ā̵̯I̵͍̅T̵̛͔S̷̗͛
Jul 25, 2020
"Try to be an independent thinker."
You can't tell me what to do!

• Yay!
Reactions: helloWorld123 and noname223