cultpup

cultpup

Nov 1, 2023
ive kinda come to like true crime videos as emotional catharsis without traumatizing myself with actual images of death and whatnot. i noticed as time goes on i see it in a different light, and kind of project myself into a different position each time, wondering what i'd be like in that situation. as the interrogator, as the victim, as the killer, as the witnesses or bystanders, i honestly now rarely watch these videos and see myself as a viewer or "true crime enjoyer." i can't help but be in the scenario with them now. these days i swap between the perspectives of the victim and the killer, wondering what those people must have felt like when it happened, or in the aftermath. i can't help but be curious how good or bad of a liar i'd be, or what they'd say about me if i were the victim or criminal.

either way, i honestly get disappointed when they don't include the confession and its details! or when the confession is half-hearted and still caked with lies to save their own ass.

does anyone else experience true crime this way? how do you feel when you watch interrogations or hear the stories? do you like the kind that are emotionally told by a narrator or the kind that are the straight hard facts of what happened, so you can see the situation unfold for yourself?

• Hugs
Reactions: Forever Sleep
D

Duality

Harmony in Duality
May 27, 2023
I used to watch interrogations but they are very long with a lot of 'dead air', plus so many of them had poor audio (I feel like some of the cameras are from the 90s) that I couldn't understand what anyone was saying, so I moved onto videos that are told via a narrator. These ones tend to include subtitles during the interrogation bits.

I avoid the videos that try to decode/go into the "science" of the perp's body language. Those are not good, and take way too many liberties with ridiculous assumptions (e.g. the suspect crossing his legs must mean that he's super nervous, because they were open before and suddenly closed when the interrogator mentioned this particular part).

cultpup

cultpup

Nov 1, 2023
I used to watch interrogations but they are very long with a lot of 'dead air', plus so many of them had poor audio (I feel like some of the cameras are from the 90s) that I couldn't understand what anyone was saying, so I moved onto videos that are told via a narrator. These ones tend to include subtitles during the interrogation bits.

I avoid the videos that try to decode/go into the "science" of the perp's body language. Those are not good, and take way too many liberties with ridiculous assumptions (e.g. the suspect crossing his legs must mean that he's super nervous, because they were open before and suddenly closed when the interrogator mentioned this particular part).
i go with the narrated ones because they're edited to be consumable (captions and cuts,) but yeah the "body language experts" and the over-diagnosing with personality disorders are absolutely annoying to say the least. it's a tradeoff tbh.

Reactions: Duality
D

Duality

Harmony in Duality
May 27, 2023
i go with the narrated ones because they're edited to be consumable (captions and cuts,) but yeah the "body language experts" and the over-diagnosing with personality disorders are absolutely annoying to say the least. it's a tradeoff tbh.

I also forgot to mention, the narrated videos also gives the backstory on the situation and people involved. It helps me to get to a better picture of the situation, versus only looking at interrogation videos. Plus it would probably take me more time to do the research than just watching the video anyway.

Too many channels are doing that body language crap though, and yes the overdiagnosing as well as you mentioned. I can't stand it.