Votes: 13 86.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
Hi, everyone! I used to love reading before I went to university. Now I loathe reading because I can't focus anymore. I'm not motivated to read a book in parts, or to finish reading one. I usually feel like my brain is either put on fast-forward - skimming through the material, or on rewind - reading the same paragraph again and again. Did anyone go through something similar? From your experience, what could I do to be able to focus on reading books, without quickly losing interest and focus? Any tips are appreciated :hug: :heart:

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: demuic, Matthias_k, Fragile and 3 others
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
If you have urgent problems that threaten your safety, etc. it is hardly possible to drift into a book.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: sufferingalways, Fragile, antigone_iris and 3 others
All washed up

All washed up

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
Hi, everyone! I used to love reading before I went to university. Now I loathe reading because I can't focus anymore. I'm not motivated to read a book in parts, or to finish reading one. I usually feel like my brain is either put on fast-forward - skimming through the material, or on rewind - reading the same paragraph again and again. Did anyone go through something similar? From your experience, what could I do to be able to focus on reading books, without quickly losing interest and focus? Any tips are appreciated :hug: :heart:
Hiya I've no tips but I'm having the same experience. I used to love reading books magazines and newspapers but I can't focus on anything more than a short news article now let alone a book.
It's horrible

• Hugs
Reactions: demuic, antigone_iris, Lilacmoon and 1 other person
Lilacmoon

Lilacmoon

Beautiful moon, take me away.
Sep 23, 2020
I used to be able to read a lot. Makes me sad that I'm not able to anymore.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: sufferingalways, demuic, Matthias_k and 4 others
MichaelNomad123

MichaelNomad123

Jesus
Oct 15, 2020
I'm okay with books, but I don't think I've sat through a whole film in years.

Reactions: antigone_iris
flower

flower

on the moon
Feb 23, 2020
I used to love reading, but I no longer have the attention span so I feel you :(( have you tried audiobooks? my brain can't focus on those either but it helps some people

• Hugs
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, Matthias_k, All washed up and 1 other person
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
I used to love reading, but I no longer have the attention span so I feel you :(( have you tried audiobooks? my brain can't focus on those either but it helps some people
I've tried, but they just become a blah blah in the background for me, as I'm tempted to multitask. Thanks for the suggestion :hug:

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
I'm like that too now. I used to read a lot, now I find I just can't be bothered concentrating on it. I want to be physically doing something rather than reading. I feel like I have to keep moving.

• Love
Reactions: demuic, woxihuanni and antigone_iris
flower

flower

on the moon
Feb 23, 2020
I've tried, but they just become a blah blah in the background for me, as I'm tempted to multitask. Thanks for the suggestion :hug:
same! I either get distracted doing something else, or lie down to focus and fall asleep.

I think any book I've managed to read in the last few years has been a mystery novel of some sort, because I gotta keep reading to find out what happens. you could start with something like that if you're into it.

• Love
Reactions: antigone_iris and All washed up
M

Matthias_k

Apr 18, 2020
Same here. But I found a solution, stick with the sure thing. I found out that I can still focus and enjoy books I've already read and loved. Same for shows or movies.

• Love
antigone_iris

antigone_iris

Wizard
Oct 25, 2020
I'm like that too now. I used to read a lot, now I find I just can't be bothered concentrating on it. I want to be physically doing something rather than reading. I feel like I have to keep moving.
I also feel like I have to keep moving, and it usually helps me feel better than just sitting still.
I think any book I've managed to read in the last few years has been a mystery novel of some sort, because I gotta keep reading to find out what happens. you could start with something like that if you're into it.
Thank you! That's a fantastic tip! :heart: :hug:
Same here. But I found a solution, stick with the sure thing. I found out that I can still focus and enjoy books I've already read and loved. Same for shows or movies.
Thank you! :heart::hug: Anything you like in particular and would recommend?

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
The stuff I used to read was quite complex, I enjoyed being confused because it challenged me. Now I can't be bothered; I'll read some of the philosophy threads on here if i want challenging LOL. Now if I do read it has to be well written and easy going.

Reactions: sufferingalways, demuic and antigone_iris
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
That's my whole life with AD/HD, spinning my wheels reading the same paragraph nine times over until I finally lurch forward in the material, not able to concentrate as I need to, or retain what I've read, etcetera...

My original disability designation boils down to this above all else, although I've accumulated a multitude of other qualifiers.

• Hugs
Reactions: antigone_iris and Mm80
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
That's my whole life with AD/HD, spinning my wheels reading the same paragraph nine times over until I finally lurch forward in the material, not able to concentrate as I need to, or retain what I've read, etcetera...

My original disability designation boils down to this above all else, although I've accumulated a multitude of other qualifiers.
Was going to mention adhd.
Not being able to focus and read books is a major adhd symptom.
People swear by stimulants for this kind of thing.
Docs just give out antidepressants and dont normally consider adhd unfortunately

Reactions: SamsaSoup and demuic
Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I need to re read a lot of stuff to even get what I just read. I hate reading books because my eyes just can't focus on them and it feels as if it all melts together. Also I'm pretty sure I have undiagnosed dyslexia. Everytime I have to read shit for school I get a headache and have to spend hours on it

• Hugs
Reactions: Gnip and antigone_iris
Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
2017 was my first year in university. Also, the first year of my life after learning how to read I finished a total of 0 book. In 2018 and 2019 I picked the habit again. This year, I spent eight months without touching a book. In the last week I just read more than 800 pages. But it was painful, even after creating the habit again, reading books was a painful process of having trouble focusing, some sort of dyslexia (not literally, but I don't know what other word to use, feel free to correct me if it's innapropriate) that makes me read words that aren't there, and I just can't differentiate between he/she in portuguese (ele/ela) if I'm not reading slowly. Albeit the high ratio of books read per year, it is always a hard process, all of them.

• Hugs
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
Was going to mention adhd.
Not being able to focus and read books is a major adhd symptom.
People swear by stimulants for this kind of thing.
Docs just give out antidepressants and dont normally consider adhd unfortunately

When I later made a volitional choice to have myself medicated on Ritalin, I monitored my response to it through my ability to read. My optimal reading ability peaked at 150 mg Ritalin before the efficacy of the medication permanently tapered off.

The most important consideration was how medication worked for ME when I CHOOSE to take it.

Drugs should not be given to children for the sake of school, teachers, parents, grades, or any other stupid and meaningless thing.

School and grades are the only reason I ever became depressed. Like Karl Hess famously said when asked in a Playboy interview about dropping out of school at age 15:

"I loved education, which is why I spent as little time as possible in school...the only thing you have to do to get kids educated is abolish the school system."

(Karl's mother encouraged curiosity and direct learning. She often insisted that Karl figure things out for himself, or increase his knowledge through reading. Karl, believing [as his mother did] that public "education" was a waste of time, rarely attended school; to evade truancy officers, he registered at every elementary school in town and gradually withdrew from each one, making it impossible for the authorities to know exactly where he was supposed to be, He has developed great reverence for libraries; this became very basic to his personal philosophy, and in his autobiography he wrote: "Literacy is the basic tool in the workshop of the entire world.")

Ultimately, we can learn how to produce and purify our own nitrogen and sodium nitrite. The authorities can't eradicate that information.

Years ago, instead of buying kids alcohol, I gave them books on how to brew their own, and they actually gifted me with some of their home brew (some of which was pretty good stuff).

Reactions: sufferingalways and Mm80
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
I need to re read a lot of stuff to even get what I just read. I hate reading books because my eyes just can't focus on them and it feels as if it all melts together. Also I'm pretty sure I have undiagnosed dyslexia. Everytime I have to read shit for school I get a headache and have to spend hours on it

Frequently I would get searing headaches as I read through demanding literature.

Reactions: Nymph
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
When I later made a volitional choice to have myself medicated on Ritalin, I monitored my response to it through my ability to read. My optimal reading ability peaked at 150 mg Ritalin before the efficacy of the medication permanently tapered off.

The most important consideration was how medication worked for ME when I CHOOSE to take it.

Drugs should not be given to children for the sake of school, teachers, parents, grades, or any other stupid and meaningless thing.

School and grades are the only reason I ever became depressed. Like Karl Hess famously said when asked in a Playboy interview about dropping out of school at age 15:

"I loved education, which is why I spent as little time as possible in school...the only thing you have to do to get kids educated is abolish the school system."

(Karl's mother encouraged curiosity and direct learning. She often insisted that Karl figure things out for himself, or increase his knowledge through reading. Karl, believing [as his mother did] that public "education" was a waste of time, rarely attended school; to evade truancy officers, he registered at every elementary school in town and gradually withdrew from each one, making it impossible for the authorities to know exactly where he was supposed to be, He has developed great reverence for libraries; this became very basic to his personal philosophy, and in his autobiography he wrote: "Literacy is the basic tool in the workshop of the entire world.")

Ultimately, we can learn how to produce and purify our own nitrogen and sodium nitrite. The authorities can't eradicate that information.

Years ago, instead of buying kids alcohol, I gave them books on how to brew their own, and they actually gifted me with some of th
eir home brew (some of which was pretty good stuff).
Thanks for this.
You sound a little like jesus in that last bit.
Give a kid a beer, he will be drunk for the night...
Teach him how to make his own, he will be drunk every night for life ...

Reactions: Gnip