DeathIsTheWayOut99

DeathIsTheWayOut99

Warlock
Jun 6, 2020
So my psych professor showed us a vid about a woman walking in NYC and being repeatedly stalked and sexually harassed by men. I mean I get the importance of it but as someone who have experiences multuple forms of sexual abuse, the triggers are big and I cannot bear to watch it. Fucked up my mood and brought back desires to CTB
Update: I let me teacher know how I felt. I wonder if I did the right thing. Maybe I am too sensitive. He was understanding.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 19654, suicidal-raven, Aimless and 2 others
StringPuppet

StringPuppet

Lost
Oct 5, 2020
I think i've seen the video you're talking about. It is a hard video to watch, sorry it brought back bad memories for you. I don't think you were being too sensitive at all.

flower

flower

on the moon
Feb 23, 2020
I don't think you're too sensitive at all, and as a psych professor he should really know to be more careful with that sort of thing.

Reactions: DeathIsTheWayOut99
DeathIsTheWayOut99

DeathIsTheWayOut99

Warlock
Jun 6, 2020
I think i've seen the video you're talking about. It is a hard video to watch, sorry it brought back bad memories for you. I don't think you were being too sensitive at all.
I just noticed the pic in your thread! Its a Japanese movie! I forget the name of the movie but I watched half of it. Really interested

Also thanks for being understanding. Yeah sexual abuse is real :(

suicidal-raven

suicidal-raven

There are many of us in one mind.
Nov 2, 2020
I wish that classes wouldn't show potentially triggering videos, like I get it's for "education" but I feel like it can cause more issues than anything. Even with writing. In my college comp class, my professor was reading a poem to us that had legit rape in it. I had to get up and go into the bathroom because I was about to panic. It pissed me off. I get it's a "classic" but fuck man, it triggered me so badly.

DeathIsTheWayOut99

DeathIsTheWayOut99

Warlock
Jun 6, 2020
I wish that classes wouldn't show potentially triggering videos, like I get it's for "education" but I feel like it can cause more issues than anything. Even with writing. In my college comp class, my professor was reading a poem to us that had legit rape in it. I had to get up and go into the bathroom because I was about to panic. It pissed me off. I get it's a "classic" but fuck man, it triggered me so badly.
I had a similar experience. I was taking a gender studies class last year. Our professor without warning put on a video of a Ted Talks that discussed racism towards black women. As a black woman myself I found it intriguing. Until it depicted various women being abused verbally physically and sexually by police. It made me suck to my stomach.

She also told us that "I have had at least one person in every class I taught be a rape victim" and "that if you see someone being harassed step up and help them. Even if you get hurt you'll just go to the hospital and be fine"

I left that class shaking and crying. I transferred out immediately.

• Aww..
Reactions: suicidal-raven
suicidal-raven

suicidal-raven

There are many of us in one mind.
Nov 2, 2020
I had a similar experience. I was taking a gender studies class last year. Our professor without warning put on a video of a Ted Talks that discussed racism towards black women. As a black woman myself I found it intriguing. Until it depicted various women being abused verbally physically and sexually by police. It made me suck to my stomach.

She also told us that "I have had at least one person in every class I taught be a rape victim" and "that if you see someone being harassed step up and help them. Even if you get hurt you'll just go to the hospital and be fine"

I left that class shaking and crying. I transferred out immediately.

I'm so sorry that happened. These videos need to be taken down a notch when explaining things like that! I'm glad you transferred though. Fuck that!

Reactions: DeathIsTheWayOut99
Acerakis

Acerakis

Carer
Jun 5, 2020
So I think the problem is that to make a video that is hard hitting enough that it makes the people who have never experienced anything like that have some empathy for the situation, it ends up having to be rough enough that it will trigger people that have suffered through it.

So many people are blind to how bad it is, just see the thread about a teacher raping a student and see people saying they wished it happened to them. It's ridiculous to see that as a positive situation.

I think the lecturer probably should have mentioned the themes it would cover and offer that anyone who had experienced such situations the option to leave.

You did the right thing telling them how you feel.

Reactions: Deleted member 19654, opiatedreamz and DeathIsTheWayOut99
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
You definitely weren't being too sensitive. Videos like that can be triggering and I'm not very comfortable watching stuff like that either due to my own experiences of sexual assault. And I agree that you did the right thing by letting your professor know so that he is more aware for the next time that he chooses to show the video to his students.