ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
There's an interesting theory by a prominent suicidologist that those who go on to successfully commit suicide have made previous attempts. In other words, they were essentially toughening themselves up to overcome the survival instinct before they eventually commit suicide. I do know a work colleague who hanged himself after surviving an overdose. He also had a history of self-harming with a knife. However, I'm reluctant to accept the theory that successful suicides toughen themselves up with trial runs prior to their suicide. It might be the case that easy suicide methods are no longer available anymore which accounts for violent suicides.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 22624 and Meditation guide
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
There's an interesting theory by a prominent suicidologist that those who go on to successfully commit suicide have made previous attempts. In other words, they were essentially toughening themselves up to overcome the survival instinct before they eventually commit suicide. I do know a work colleague who hanged himself after surviving an overdose. He also had a history of self-harming with a knife. However, I'm reluctant to accept the theory that successful suicides toughen themselves up with trial runs prior to their suicide. It might be the case that easy suicide methods are no longer available anymore which accounts for violent suicides.
I don't think you can say all people who are successful at suicide made trial runs. Some did, most probably didn't.

L951788

L951788

Student
Dec 28, 2020
Welp, count me in that category. I've been trying on and off since I was 15. I'm 25 now and plan to be dead within a few weeks.

ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
I don't think you can say all people who are successful at suicide made trial runs. Some did, most probably didn't.
I never personally said all people who are successful at suicide made trial runs. It's the suicidologist who proposed that theory which I don't necessarily agree with.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I never personally said all people who are successful at suicide made trial runs. It's the suicidologist who proposed that theory which I don't necessarily agree with.
I realize that but I didn't actually mean you, I meant him but should have said that.