Soupster

Soupster

Chasing dreams, catching nightmares
Aug 14, 2024
I am approaching a place of having exhausted nearly every treatment and medication for my bipolar I and cPTSD (and other crippling anxiety disorders) that are available in the US. While some have helped short to medium term, I always decomponsate and end up back in the hole.

I know there's a perception that the American Healthcare system, while being deeply flawed with its ability to gouge patients to financial ruin, is exceptional and the best available medicine in the world if you can pay. That said, I know there are many medications in other countries that are not available in the US. My question then becomes, is anyone aware of any promising treatments in other countries that are not available in the US that I might be able to pursue?

Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
I don't know much about bipolar, but for cptsd there's a UK clinic called the Khiron Cinic. If you've tried the traditional medical routes without much benefit, their treatment model may suit you go better. It's endorsed by the world's leading trauma experts.

However it's $$$$$$ a month - although as a sweetener, they'll pay your transport to / from the clinic from anywhere in the world…

• Informative
Reactions: Soupster
Soupster

Soupster

Chasing dreams, catching nightmares
Aug 14, 2024
I don't know much about bipolar, but for cptsd there's a UK clinic called the Khiron Cinic. If you've tried the traditional medical routes without much benefit, their treatment model may suit you go better. It's endorsed by the world's leading trauma experts.

However it's $$$$$$ a month - although as a sweetener, they'll pay your transport to / from the clinic from anywhere in the world…
Thanks for the response!

They claim to treat bipolar as well, which is interesting. But reading the literature, the average length of stay is two to six months. The cost per week in September is over $11,000/week. Being outside the US I'd have no financial assistance so that brings my cost to let's call it $45,000/month. So, $90,000-$270,000 for an average stay. Yikes! The free airfare is a nice touch at those rates.

And you know. If I were rich, I'd try it. I want that much to take control of my mental health. But never in the world could I come up with that kind of money and afford to stop working for 2-6 months.

Reactions: Tesha
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
I said it was $$$! It's madness isn't it - the help that may make a real difference is out of reach.

However, if you look at their treatment models, you may find local practitioners that could help you with the same techniques.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
@Tesha Only out of interest, do you happen to know whether there are private health insurances in the UK that'd be willing to pay for such a treatment? I doubt that a lot of people would be able to pay that out of pocket without a 30 years loan ... Do they have a refund policy if their treatment fails? I doubt they can guarantee success.

Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
@Praestat_Mori I don't think there are - I've got private UK health insurance, but it wouldn't cover the length of stay required and my insurance is high coverage. There's also no guarantees on treatment outcomes, so no refunds, as far as I'm aware.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori