A

anisofennel

Oct 5, 2023
Like quite a few people on here, I'm trans, and it's just totally torpedoed my mental health even when I sort of got what I wanted.

I didn't exactly "know" when I was younger, but I grew up extremely religious and was always gynephilic. Trans people were always jokes or outcasts to me. I had always wanted to be a girl instead, but a cis girl, because I learned that trying to swap just wouldn't work. You'd lose everything and look like the same people that your parents laugh at in public.

That changed slowly over a few years. University environment at 18, I became LGBT positive shortly after, and at 22 I finally learned about gender identity. I finally "got" it. And came out at 23 last year.

There were so many negotiations. I didn't fully commit to it. I was afraid of everything I'd learned to fear my whole life. And weirdly, it just... didn't happen. My family doesn't get it and thinks I'm sick, but they call me my name. All of them. My then-girlfriend stuck with me. Became my fiance. I managed to get a good job with a supportive company. Boss is cis gay, gets it. And my worst fear, that I'd never really look female at the end of it... also didn't happen. I generally pass with the right clothes. Even joined in an all-female spa, and I just never took my underwear off for the hot baths.

Kicker is I still feel like things are coming for me. I feel just as depressed as I was for most of my whole life but for different reasons now. I live in a country that still isn't accepting. No gender changes. Not even name changes, so I'm stuck with my deadname, and can be imprisoned for not using it. I've been surprised a few times with how kind strangers can be, especially early on. But I can't relax, always bracing myself for hatred that doesn't quite come.

I see it all the time though, whenever news shows any of us. Thousands and thousands of angry threats, with national surveys saying people don't want us to have rights. I always feel stressed, like the good things I do have can be lost and taken from me.

I think of ending it while it's still good, but I can't bear to leave my fiancee. I know it'd hurt her. And a part of me feels like I'll regret it, even though I logically know I won't be around to regret anything after I've ctb'd.

Seeing this worldwide campaign against us doesn't make things any better. Maybe it's grief, but I miss my old life. I cringe at the thought of living as male again, but I miss not worrying for my safety and not anticipating rejection and harrassment around every corner.

I'd like to live if I could be free of this constant pain. Not sure really where all of this ends. But has anyone got past this?

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: sadmailman, cgrtt.brns, consider and 8 others
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
It sickens me how much people discriminate against others. You have the absolute right to be an individual in any way you please.
People seriously need to stop telling others how to look, feel and think.
This despicable behaviour from narrow minded morons causes way too much suffering.
Fuck them all.

• Love
Reactions: consider and NearlyIrrelevantCake
Starry2He

Starry2He

Talking Corpse
Oct 8, 2023
I feel exactly the way you do, wow. I relate to your words so much, my heart is aching. I haven't found the answer, unfortunately. I've just accepted that society will always fuck us over and be against us, basically giving up. Now, thats probably not the right thing to do, but… i'm just so tired.

*ahem*
Anyway, i'm with you and sending you love and support. Please reach out if you ever need anything ❤️

• Hugs
Reactions: consider
STTP

STTP

Straight To The Point
Oct 10, 2023
Feeling you here as well - trans with things otherwise fine for me (except my transition didn't go well). The vitriol and lack of systemic support is awful, but my trans friends and I live almost in spite. They want me dead, they'll have to fucking fight for it.

Maeve

Maeve

The screaming never stops
Jul 17, 2023
This is really relatable i feel almost the exact same.
I just don't get why we can't just live in peace and why some religious loonatiks have decided to want to erase us.
Stay safe<3

puella

puella

she/they
Oct 5, 2023
But has anyone got past this?
I've gotten past this. So I'm going to plead with you to keep trying. One day you can move to a place with fair laws and respectful, safe communities.

I live in the United States. I was born in small conservative town, in a state where I had no legal protections. I actually changed my legal name and gender only a couple weeks before a law passed to make this illegal. I was so afraid I would have nothing. I was so, so afraid people would hurt me. I got horrible looks from people, shouted at, and threatened. I had almost no access to gender affirming healthcare.

But I moved to a state with laws that protect trans people, in a big urban city that is full of diversity and LGBT+ acceptance. I'm working to get medical transition care that could be amazing. I feel safe here.

I no longer follow news or use any social media. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I couldn't handle the mental burden of hearing about all the pain and hatred everywhere in the world. I focus on talking to and helping individual people now; I'm a lot healthier feeling, and my perspective is more human.

I'm so proud of you. 💚 You've done so much. I avoid telling people they should keep trying, because they know better if they should give up than I do. But I do selfishly want for you to keep trying. It's also selfish because I'm envious of you. Your progress sounds beautiful, and you have so much love.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Starry2He, consider and carac