T

TheUncommon

Student
May 19, 2021
I work at [business]. Said business handles electronics refurbishing.

While this store is part of a nationwide chain, with partnerships with global conglomerates, we also spread out handle nonstop customer interaction, either in-person or via phone / email, in addition to maintaining our physical store, between only three people. Overmore, only two people are ever working in a single day. This is an extreme stress on the work environment, as the bulk of the job is meticulous work and needs to be performed with precision and accuracy, under a strict time limit. If this is interrupted, the quality of the work will directly decrease. Furthermore, this provides no wiggle room in case a worker does not show up, on time or otherwise, forcing one person to run a store by themselves.

I'm the newest employee. I got the job to avoid customer interaction, and mentioned this specifically and clearly in the interview. I applied and interviewed as a technician, yet was hired as a customer service representative [as well as a technician] without any agreement to do so.

To no one's surprise, the company has not been able to hire a singular person in eight months to help keep the store afloat.

The coworker who referred me to the job is known to the entire team [once consisting of four people] to be egotistical and paranoid. He also refrains from customers interaction, despite it being his job to do so. However, he has been working at this location for two years, whereas I have only been employed less than one. He uses this seniority as leverage to explicitly not do his job with customers, and to soften mistakes that he makes. He has, on numerous occasions, invented rumors and spread gossip based on his paranoia, leading the team to lose trust in me - despite performing the same amount of successful repairs with less time, and doing more work.

His grandiose image of his work and seniority has recently been used as leverage in a discussion that later turned into an argument, specifically as a "who will they believe" situation. Funnily enough, I have evidence of his numerous critical wrongdoings that will immediately get him fired once shared.

This is where the issue starts.
He doesn't need to continue working at this job. However, we have no other workers. If we lose one, then the work flow is going to drop to two people, working full-time shifts seven days a week. This is going to put an equal strain on myself, as much as letting the coworker stay.
Doing this all for what will be minimum wage in about a year.

I could always quit and none of this would be my problem, but said coworker might see it as a sign of weakness, despite him actually needing the job while I'm working solely for boredom and resume-building. And on this front, I can be as tenacious as possible and remain employed. However, if I quit, that will put the unrelated coworker out of a job, which will desperately hurt them.

In this situation, I don't know what the best path is, but I'm steering towards removing the problem from the situation and letting higher-ups deal with the aftermath.

This coworker often complains about loneliness and asks himself "where all of his friends went", despite not having the capacity of self-reflection. This leads me to lose any sympathy for a person who is actively combative on the job, while also breaking numerous laws while on the job. The issue of whether the coworker is problematic is not the debate, it's whether I should move forward with removing him that is.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and whywere
HermitLonerGuy

HermitLonerGuy

Warlock
Sep 28, 2022
this is why i prefer work from home jobs.

i hate co-workers.

• Love
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and onlyanimalsaregood
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I will say this, after over almost 50 years in the work environment, one aspect after reading your post comes loud and clear to me.

I have had situations similar to what you described, and one central idea comes to my mind, TAKE CARE OF YOUSELF and the heck with a co-worker. Now I try to be very kind and helpful, but after all the decades in a work environment, sometimes one has to look out for oneself.

2 things, 1) Will you be able to help said person? that is for you to decide 2) Going by my past experiences, I would look out for myself and move on.

I will share one of my experiences with you. Back in the early 1990's I was at a computer business and one of the other persons was, well a jerk. I tried to help him with working with co-workers, he asked for my help, and the like. The end result was, I got fired after the person complained up the food chain about me. Like say what??I was so, so hurt that I got back stabbed, he got a promotion, and I was out the door. Boy, I learned a valuable lesson.

One last thing, be careful!

Sending lots of hugs, love and well wishes to you, my friend.

Walter

• Hugs
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer and onlyanimalsaregood
T

TheUncommon

Student
May 19, 2021
I will say this, after over almost 50 years in the work environment, one aspect after reading your post comes loud and clear to me.

I have had situations similar to what you described, and one central idea comes to my mind, TAKE CARE OF YOUSELF and the heck with a co-worker. Now I try to be very kind and helpful, but after all the decades in a work environment, sometimes one has to look out for oneself.

2 things, 1) Will you be able to help said person? that is for you to decide 2) Going by my past experiences, I would look out for myself and move on.

I will share one of my experiences with you. Back in the early 1990's I was at a computer business and one of the other persons was, well a jerk. I tried to help him with working with co-workers, he asked for my help, and the like. The end result was, I got fired after the person complained up the food chain about me. Like say what??I was so, so hurt that I got back stabbed, he got a promotion, and I was out the door. Boy, I learned a valuable lesson.

One last thing, be careful!

Sending lots of hugs, love and well wishes to you, my friend.

Walter
Walter, I appreciate your words. For multiple reasons, I recognise I am beyond saving in terms of self-care. However, that doesn't bother me.

This job is primarily a break from being at home. Before I became employed, I did tell myself that if this job doesn't work out, I'll stick around for a few more months after New Years before calling it quits.
I don't need the job and it isn't something that is causing significant turmoil to where it's the primary reason I'm on this site.

I'm actually just asking for the most strategic approach for handling this issue while causing the least amount of suffering for those not directly involved with the conflict.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: whywere
hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
I work in a place where backstabbing is the norm. Everybody is waiting for other people to do small mistakes to take advantage of it. OUr boss is abusive, shouts at people and creates situations that are hard to handle. I am abused all the times by him for even small mistakes. This is the most toxic work environment i have ever found.

• Aww..
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood