• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

eryu

eryu

Sep 25, 2021
From wikipedia:
  • Height: 45.4 metres or 143.8 feet (12½ storeys)
If anyone is familiar with the area, can you tell me if there are people about keeping an eye out for potential jumpers?
I couldn't find anything about this.

I'm also wondering where I should try to land. The options seem to be:
- the river
- the ground just next to that
- the expressway (attempting to avoid traffic)

River -
I'm not sure if it would be frozen over and how thick the ice would be. If there is ice and it doesn't break then isn't that about as good as concrete? Some have said the surface of water is like hitting concrete but usually they're talking about higher drops. I'm not sure it is true for only 45 meters up.
If it's not frozen over or if I go through the ice then I'd hopefully just freeze or drown if the fall wasn't enough. Awful, I know. But at least it would be over.
This seems like the best option since I would likely drown if I wasn't killed by the impact.

Ground -
The photo I posted below is from when it was first built. I think there is brush around this area now but I should be able to spot areas that aren't obstructed. If the snow wasn't too deep to cushion the fall, would this be a good option?

Expressway -
It's elevated a bit (there are a couple and I'd be looking at the lower one) but concrete is supposed to be a better bet.
here someone says they witnessed a jumper basically burst upon impact:
https://web.archive.org/web/2022012...com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=328247&start=0
I was thinking if I chose this then I could aim for the edge and that if I did it late at night there wouldn't be much traffic so no one would be distracted (potentially causing danger) by the sight of me falling. I know people would see my body later but I figure that's less alarming than someone falling and worrying about where they might land.
Even if I ended up in a lane, there'd be low chance of it causing any serious mishaps if traffic wasn't heavy.
Is this realistic?

I already know there is a risk of surviving jumps and that the height isn't the best.
SN isn't an option for me and I have a lot of trouble thinking through other methods.

Photo clearly showing the bridge (though many decades ago without all the brush):

Attachments

• leaside.jpg
    leaside.jpg
    927.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: whywere
J

justtiredofit

Feb 14, 2022
Don't know for sure if it's monitored, but seeing how it's the new choice since the bloor one was blocked, they probably have something around there. I knew a nurse who worked in emergency who dealt with someone who jumped from there. He went over the paved traffic side, and although he did eventually die, it wasn't till he was rushed to hospital. I can only imagine the pain he was in.

• Aww..
Reactions: TheDoomedDoomer and eryu
eryu

eryu

Sep 25, 2021
Don't know for sure if it's monitored, but seeing how it's the new choice since the bloor one was blocked, they probably have something around there. I knew a nurse who worked in emergency who dealt with someone who jumped from there. He went over the paved traffic side, and although he did eventually die, it wasn't till he was rushed to hospital. I can only imagine the pain he was in.
That's horrific. It's hard to imagine.
I guess I would just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

• Aww..
Reactions: justtiredofit
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
From wikipedia:
If anyone is familiar with the area, can you tell me if there are people about keeping an eye out for potential jumpers?

- the river

River -
I'm not sure if it would be frozen over and how thick the ice would be. If there is ice and it doesn't break then isn't that about as good as concrete? Some have said the surface of water is like hitting concrete but usually they're talking about higher drops. I'm not sure it is true for only 45 meters up.
If it's not frozen over or if I go through the ice then I'd hopefully just freeze or drown if the fall wasn't enough. Awful, I know. But at least it would be over.
This seems like the best option since I would likely drown if I wasn't killed by the impact.

Ground -
The photo I posted below is from when it was first built. I think there is brush around this area now but I should be able to spot areas that aren't obstructed. If the snow wasn't too deep to cushion the fall, would this be a good option?

Expressway -
It's elevated a bit (there are a couple and I'd be looking at the lower one) but concrete is supposed to be a better bet.
https://web.archive.org/web/2022012...com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=328247&start=0
I was thinking if I chose this then I could aim for the edge and that if I did it late at night there wouldn't be much traffic so no one would be distracted (potentially causing danger) by the sight of me falling. I know people would see my body later but I figure that's less alarming than someone falling and worrying about where they might land.
Even if I ended up in a lane, there'd be low chance of it causing any serious mishaps if traffic wasn't heavy.
Is this realistic?

I already know there is a risk of surviving jumps and that the height isn't the best.
SN isn't an option for me and I have a lot of trouble thinking through other methods.

Photo clearly showing the bridge (though many decades ago without all the brush):
I know that bridge, I've walked over it, considering, way back in the nineties when I was in my twenties and made my last attempts. In that period I once met a girl my age in the Scott Mission, a beautiful girl I could have fallen in love with, who was in a wheelchair, having broken her back and become paraplegic when she jumped from the Bloor Viaduct, which at that time still had not been equipped with barriers to prevent jumping. I heard later that she had gone back and finished the job successfully. Anyway, I dont recommend jumping. These Toronto bridges, anyway, are not high enough to be sure. Your life is hell, but even hell can get worse.

Reactions: Justsogone
J

justtiredofit

Feb 14, 2022
I know that bridge, I've walked over it, considering, way back in the nineties when I was in my twenties and made my last attempts. In that period I once met a girl my age in the Scott Mission, a beautiful girl I could have fallen in love with, who was in a wheelchair, having broken her back and become paraplegic when she jumped from the Bloor Viaduct, which at that time still had not been equipped with barriers to prevent jumping. I heard later that she had gone back and finished the job successfully. Anyway, I dont recommend jumping. These Toronto bridges, anyway, are not high enough to be sure. Your life is hell, but even hell can get worse.
I suspect there's a lot more people who jump, survive, and left debilitated, then we'll ever know. Once in a blue moon we'll hear about someone dying, but a quick search shows in the grand scheme of things, there haven't been that many in Toronto.

Reactions: Ashu
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
Personally, just my 2 cents worth, but a huge NO on jumping. I agree with others here. Please rethink it. I love and care about everyone here so very much and just the thought of not having you here is heart breaking.

I am not pro or anti anything, I just care and love my friends here.

Walter

• Love
Reactions: Silent.Tears, Hotsackage, rationaltake and 1 other person
B

Belljar

Nov 13, 2021
This one seems likely that you will live but with horrible disabling injuries.

toseeyousmile

toseeyousmile

Nov 23, 2020
There's a couple of bridges in downtown Toronto that's available I believe there's one near Pape station that's some bus stops away that doesn't have the things that prevent jumping like the other bridge does in castlefrank or whatever in downtown.

J

justtiredofit

Feb 14, 2022
I think most of our open air bridges are low like the one in the pic. Really, it's a terrible risk to take as you'll probably survive and be horribly damaged.

eryu

eryu

Sep 25, 2021
I'd still like advice on the best option for a landing, assuming someone did decide to do it.
Thanks for the concern. I know it's not a great method.
I suspect there's a lot more people who jump, survive, and left debilitated, then we'll ever know. Once in a blue moon we'll hear about someone dying, but a quick search shows in the grand scheme of things, there haven't been that many in Toronto.
I'm sure there are but I wonder what the actual percentage is. I don't suppose there's any way to find out though. I'm sure a lot of people would consider even like 30% to be too big a risk but others who are desperate might decide that is acceptable. But then if it were like 80% or something, that's more of a deterrent.
Wouldn't you think that suicide prevention orgs would get the data somehow and publicize it? They always make such a big deal out of the very few Golden Gate survivors having physical injury and regrets...
There's a couple of bridges in downtown Toronto that's available I believe there's one near Pape station that's some bus stops away that doesn't have the things that prevent jumping like the other bridge does in castlefrank or whatever in downtown.
I thought that was the one I was talking about (Leaside). When I was looking up which stop I'd need to get off at, I'm pretty sure it was Pape.

S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
From wikipedia:

- the river

River -

Ground -

Expressway -
Is this realistic?

I don't think it's monitored because there are only ten deaths per year from all bridges in Toronto, from what I just read. However, I read abiout someone who was stopped from jumping there- this usually happens when a person goes to the edge and stands there and thinks about whether they should jump or not. The Golden Gate Bridge is 220 fee0 with a 99% success rate for those who jump, but it is so heavily patrolled that it si very tough to jump there. Some who jump there drown. So is it better to land on water or land? It is debatable, but maybe no one knows.

U

uniqueuser

Jan 16, 2021
dont share your locations here, someone might save u

eryu

eryu

Sep 25, 2021
dont share your locations here, someone might save u
Thanks for the concern but it's a fairly well known spot for suicide already and anyway no one knows what day or time I'll do it it and if I even will use that method.