sunsetintehwoods

sunsetintehwoods

Same rules apply
Feb 22, 2021
Oh, my first thread, wow.

Time to time I ask myself - if not suicide than what? What can be more deep and important than desire to get off the carousel? And after that I can spend couple hours/days for fantasize about something that can be good. At first buddhism looks pretty ok - сertain ideas are so close for me, some of them I trying to keep with me for years. But, lol:
1) I'm tottaly atheistic person
2) Isn't going to obedience is the same suicide, but with fancy wrapping?

So, may be you have your SI-inspired ideas? Why don't give it a chance?

• Hugs
Reactions: GenesAndEnvironment, Sensei, LifeQuitter2018 and 2 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
For those reasons, I can't be a buddhist nor any type of religious person.
I really wish I could believe in something such as a lovely God taking care of me and receiving some kind of compensation for all the suffering once I die but that's probably just some fairy tale.

Anyway, buddhism sounds quite interesting! Wish you the best with whatever you do.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Fehler and sunsetintehwoods
Deathbydemo

Deathbydemo

Mage
Feb 15, 2020
I'd like to think you made your username while under the influence. It's really amusing to me haha

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: Fehler, GenesAndEnvironment and sunsetintehwoods
W

watchingthewheels

Enlightened
Jan 23, 2021

Time to time I ask myself - if not suicide than what? What can be more deep and important than desire to get off the carousel? And after that I can spend couple hours/days for fantasize about something that can be good. At first buddhism looks pretty ok - сertain ideas are so close for me, some of them I trying to keep with me for years. But, lol:

I'm an atheist as well, but have found some good in Zen Buddhism, particulary on this topic...

I had another Alan Watts video on a thread about this that I shared, but that video was removed. But here was the discussion page, and the particular quote:

"Whenever I get somebody who comes to me and says 'I really can't go online , I have to commit suicide', I say well that's it.,, there's really no reason why you should go on and if you want to commit suicide do it you can check out.' Because this reduces anxiety when they feel free to commit suicide they don't really have to commit suicide so so much ." - Alan Watts

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/alan-watts-on-the-paradox-of-suicide.60398/#post-1119851

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Sensei and sunsetintehwoods
sunsetintehwoods

sunsetintehwoods

Same rules apply
Feb 22, 2021
I'd like to think you made your username while under the influence. It's really amusing to me haha
Oh, may be or not. :ahhha: Sunset and woods was first on my mind what I imagine when "Hm,hm I need something associated to my own suicidality right now". Probably it was necessary to add the coast/shores/bonfire/other-shiny-nature-stuff, but i didn't have enough username symbols.

I'm an atheist as well, but have found some good in Zen Buddhism, particulary on this topic...
Yeah, tottaly can relate Alan Watts words. When I assume that suicide is possible for me - anxiety about it just gone. But still at the end of attached video, he theorizes about afterlife damnation and childrens, both of which I willn't have most likely.

Reactions: Deathbydemo
W

watchingthewheels

Enlightened
Jan 23, 2021
Yeah, tottaly can relate Alan Watts words. When I assume that suicide is possible for me - anxiety about it just gone. But still at the end of attached video, he theorizes about afterlife damnation and childrens, both of which I willn't have most likely.
I think you may have missed the context of what he was saying, there; he wasn't theorizing about damnation and hell; he was talking about those people who get hung on on those concepts....

That particular section would be written as this: "...unless you say, "well, I don't because... after all, there might be eternal damnation in the back of the thing, if I did that or then I identify with my children or something, and I think of them going on and without me..." Watts is quoting the mindset of someone using those concepts to hold them back...(Watts doesn't hold to such beliefs as eternal damnation, himself...)
I think you may have missed the context of what he was saying, there; he wasn't theorizing about damnation and hell; he was talking about those people who get hung on on those concepts....

That particular section would be written as this: "...unless you say, "well, I don't because... after all, there might be eternal damnation in the back of the thing, if I did that or then I identify with my children or something, and I think of them going on and without me..." Watts is quoting the mindset of someone using those concepts to hold them back...(Watts doesn't hold to such beliefs as eternal damnation, himself...)

(Here's Watts explaining his thoughts on the Christian conception of heaven and hell, and his conception of the afterlife...It's too long to quote in its entirety, but here are some pertinent passages:)

'The Tao of Philosophy 2: Images of God' by Alan Watts
Alan Watts talks on the impact of various models of the ultimate reality, and the contrasts between male and female symbolism.
www.organism.earth

"But to reject the paternalistic image of God as an idol is not necessarily to be an atheist, although I have advocated something called 'atheism in the name of God.' That is to say, an experience, a contact, a relationship with God—that is to say, with the Ground of Your Being—that does not have to be embodied or expressed in any specific image."

"Now, theologians on the whole don't like that idea because—I find in my discourse with them—that they want to be a little bit hard-nosed about the nature of God. They want to say that God has, indeed, a very specific nature. Ethical monotheism means that the governing power of this universe has some extremely definite opinions and rules to which our minds and acts must be conformed. And if you don't watch out you'll go against the fundamental grain of the universe and be punished—in some way. Old-fashionedly, you will burn in the fires of hell forever. More modern-fashionedly, you will fail to be an authentic person. It's another way of talking about it. But there is this feeling, you see, that there is authority behind the world, and it's not you! It's something else. Like we say, 'That's something else! That's far out!'"

"Well, of course. We've made death howl with all kinds of ghouls. We've invented dreadful afterlives. I mean, the Christian version of heaven is as abominable as the Christian version of hell. I mean, nobody wants to be in church forever. Children are absolutely horrified when they hear these hymns, which say, 'Prostrate before thy throne to lie, and gaze and gaze on thee'—they can't imagine what this imagery means. I mean, in a very subtle theological way I could wangle that statement around to make it extremely profound. I mean, to be prostrate at once, and to gaze on the other hand, see, is a coincidentia oppositorum: a coincidence of opposites, which is very deep. But to a child it is a crick in the neck. And that's the sort of imagery we're brought up with."

"Then there are other people who say, 'Well, when you're dead you're dead.' Just, y'know—nothing going to happen at all. So what do you have to worry about? Well, we don't quite like that idea, because it spooks us. You know? What's it like to die, to go to sleep and never, never, never wake up? Well, [there are] a lot of things it's not going to be like. It's not going to be like being buried alive. It's not going to be like being in the darkness forever. I'll tell you what: it's going to be like as if you never had existed at all. Not only you, but everything else as well. There just never was anything and there's no one to regret it. And there's no problem. Well, think about that for a while. It's kind of a weird feeling you get, when you really think about that; you really imagine it. Just to stop altogether. And you can't even call it "stop," because you can't have "stop" without 'start,' and there wasn't any start. There's just… no thing."

"So there is that profound, central mystery. And the attitude of faith is to stop chasing it. Stop grabbing it. Because if that happens, the most amazing things follow. But all these ideas of the 'spiritual,' the "godly," as this attitude of UNGH! Must! And we have been laid down the laws which we are bound to follow—all this jazz is not the only way of being religious and of relating to the ineffable mystery that underlies ourselves and the world."

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: hahabye, JigsawFeelin, sunsetintehwoods and 1 other person
sunsetintehwoods

sunsetintehwoods

Same rules apply
Feb 22, 2021
@watchingthewheels Oh, sorry, i could vaguely expressing myself. I mean, I understand certain Watts point and it's ok for me. But just from that three minutes about univerese as uninteligent force(what i enjoy) it's looks like "So if you think that that's the way things are you may as well commit suicide right now, unless you...".

It's little bitter pill for me, because in my limited views of buddhism at start of thread I searched something in the middle of thats kinda opposite points, i guess.

Thanks for added quotes!

Reactions: watchingthewheels
W

watchingthewheels

Enlightened
Jan 23, 2021
@watchingthewheels Oh, sorry, i could vaguely expressing myself. I mean, I understand certain Watts point and it's ok for me. But just from that three minutes about univerese as uninteligent force(what i enjoy) it's looks like "So if you think that that's the way things are you may as well commit suicide right now, unless you...".

It's little bitter pill for me, because in my limited views of buddhism at start of thread I searched something in the middle of thats kinda opposite points, i guess.

Thanks for added quotes!
No worries. I still don't think even that was his point, though; it's hard to get his full context from a partial quotation in that video. That was just meant to be a quick intro, so the full context may have been unclear. I've personally listened to several of his lectures in full, but I should probably have prefaced it with that...)

At any rate, it's not meant to be a bitter pill, once you get the full context. But then, with those tricksy Zen masters, they're not going to just lay it out there in the open, either...they will make you swallow a few bitter pills, if that's what it takes to get you to enlightenment...but Watts, in a nutshell, is basically saying "Relax, you'll live longer...don't take it too seriously...it's all a game, it's alright if you don't want to play, but if you do, don't take it too seriously..." (whether or not that works for you is another matter...)

(But even then, he'll warn you that if you TRY not to take it too seriously, you'll wind up taking it too seriously...you do by >not< doing...by not FORCING it, but by BEING it...if that's a little too "woo" for some people, there's another quote, from Francis Bacon, that captures the same idea: "Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed.")

Last edited:
Reactions: sunsetintehwoods
sunsetintehwoods

sunsetintehwoods

Same rules apply
Feb 22, 2021
Sadly yeah, I stuck every time at too seriously forcing myself to not taking it too seriously. Because it's pretty easy to hear the words, but feeling it - oh boy.

Reactions: watchingthewheels
W

watchingthewheels

Enlightened
Jan 23, 2021
Sadly yeah, I stuck every time at too seriously forcing myself to not taking it too seriously. Because it's pretty easy to hear the words, but feeling it - oh boy.
"Letting go" is a skill in itself. The "Serenity Prayer" comes to mind..."God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference."