Punished snake

Punished snake

Student
Sep 9, 2018
I decided to go for a partial suspension from a tree branch, and it's a matter of days now. I bought a rope of around 8mm to 10mm width.
Now all I have to do, like a real scientist of death, is testing. I'll go and test whether the knot I'll make will hold the rope to the branch (the best thing would be to drill a hole right inside the branch) and whether the rope will hold my partial-to-full weight (I'll basically "sit in the air").

Reactions: lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Ben and 1 other person
Punished snake

Punished snake

Student
Sep 9, 2018
God has a big fat sense of humor, however. Yesterday I kept hearing stories about hangings from people in the streets, and a TV show at dinner time spoke about that.

Reactions: lv-gras, MissLisa, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
InkBlot

InkBlot

What Do You See?
Sep 17, 2018
Best of luck to your test. Hanging is no joke, I couldn't do it.

Reactions: lv-gras
Punished snake

Punished snake

Student
Sep 9, 2018
Best of luck to your test. Hanging is no joke, I couldn't do it.
It actually sounds ridiculously easy to die by accident, provided the conditions are met

Reactions: lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Miss clefable
B

Ben

Warlock
Sep 12, 2018
I decided to go for a partial suspension from a tree branch, and it's a matter of days now. I bought a rope of around 8mm to 10mm width.
Now all I have to do, like a real scientist of death, is testing. I'll go and test whether the knot I'll make will hold the rope to the branch (the best thing would be to drill a hole right inside the branch) and whether the rope will hold my partial-to-full weight (I'll basically "sit in the air").

You sure drilling a hole through the branch won't affect its structural integrity? I've never heard of or seen that. Good thing you're testing everything first!

Good luck

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras, Punished snake and 2 others
D

Deleted_9cKnXB34QG

Mage
Jun 26, 2018
(the best thing would be to drill a hole right inside the branch)
I don't think that's a good idea...
Why not simply tie a snuggle/boom hitch around the branch?

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Punished snake

Punished snake

Student
Sep 9, 2018
It's actually the most doable thing to just knot the rope around the branch, I was just fantasizing.

Last edited:
Punished snake

Punished snake

Student
Sep 9, 2018
I did the tests, and I want to share the results with you.

While I have to admit that the methodology was a bit rushed/approximative, I saw what I wanted to see.
The setup (a robust tree branch located at approximately 2m from ground) works and will hold the weight, the rope will too.
To test these, I tied a slipknot and pushed down with as much strength as I could for approximately 30 seconds.
The branch didn't break, but the knot slipped once due to bad knotting.

This should work very well, even if I'll do more tests. The major problem with this setup is that THE PLACE IS TOO DAMN EXPOSED.
It's a little hill just a couple of blocks from my home. Originally it was part of a castle structure with walls and such, but now it's pretty much abandoned. There are multiple entrancies from below, and the tree is just in front (more or less 4m) of one of said entrancies. It's not at a regular pace, but people often come to this hill. Therefore we have an high risk of being spotted and stopped while unconscious.

The testing was done quickly due to paranoia/fear of being discovered, so it may have hampered the results. But to my defense I'll have to say that, just as I was leaving at test concluded, a woman approached. She was jogging or walking. Luckily all my gear was hidden in my bag. I need to find a more hidden place.

Reactions: lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, NoHope and 1 other person
MissLisa

MissLisa

Student
Sep 13, 2018
God has a big fat sense of humor, however. Yesterday I kept hearing stories about hangings from people in the streets, and a TV show at dinner time spoke about that.
I've had that. Planning to hang and then seeing and hearing about hanging everywhere. I took it as a sign that's what I'm meant to do

Reactions: Ixtab, lv-gras, Punished snake and 1 other person
I

Ixtab

Sep 17, 2018
I've had that. Planning to hang and then seeing and hearing about hanging everywhere. I took it as a sign that's what I'm meant to do
Same happens to me. Thanks Lisa!

Reactions: MissLisa, lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals