MushroomTaffy

MushroomTaffy

Roach
Sep 26, 2023
I know a lot of people on here don't want to hear this, and that's okay. A lot of people don't trust suicide prevention tactics, family, friends, nobody. CTB is a very final option, usually caused by running out of options. But suicide is also a very final tactic. I've even been fucked over by the suicide hotline and my therapist. But, if you're reconsidering I hold nothing against you, everyone deserves a shot at being happy, and to find their own methods of enjoying life, and if you're just looking for a way to cope i suggest turning to help. There are multiple hotlines, both for text and calling, plenty of therapists and social workers, and maybe someone who will sit and listen inside of your friends, family, or even just a nice stranger. I'm sure you don't want to burden others with your issues, but not everyone sees it that way, including me. I've wanted to work in therapy for as long as I can remember, and I even personally take the time to hear others out.

I wish all of you peace and prosperity, and if you're reconsidering there is no need to fear help if you know who or where to look.

• Hugs
  • Hmph!
Reactions: cherrypiegonnadie, Alyra, blackwidow and 4 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I noticed your account is new so you probably aren't aware of this but there is a seperate recovery section for those on here who want to be "helped", if people want advice on that they go on there. People come to the suicide discussion to escape from the empty pro-life words that are everywhere else in this anti-suicide society, it's a place for people to vent about wanting to die without all that. I think that threads like this are more suited for the recovery section of the site.

Reactions: Bilal, WeirdTheaterKid02, heavyeyes and 1 other person
lita-lassi

lita-lassi

let me spell it out for you: go to hell
Sep 25, 2023
youre very sweet but theres a lot of adamant refusal and backlash youre about to face

The Burning Fool

The Burning Fool

Falling through the abyss of insanity
Sep 12, 2023
Would you please post this type of content under the recovery forum from now on?

• Informative
Reactions: MushroomTaffy
MushroomTaffy

MushroomTaffy

Roach
Sep 26, 2023
youre very sweet but theres a lot of adamant refusal and backlash youre about to face
That's fine, I expect that
Would you please post this type of content under the recovery forum from now on?
It could be done
I noticed your account is new so you probably aren't aware of this but there is a seperate recovery section for those on here who want to be "helped", if people want advice on that they go on there. People come to the suicide discussion to escape from the empty pro-life words that are everywhere else in this anti-suicide society, it's a place for people to vent about wanting to die without all that. I think that threads like this are more suited for the recovery section of the site.
And that's fine, I can post there from now on but, not everyone realizes they hid the recovery forms earlier into their account Creation as I've noticed it's an option. It's simply a post to let others know it's okay not to be sure, I'm not trying to force anything down anyone's throat hence the name of my thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: blackwidow
Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023

It could be done

And that's fine, I can post there from now on but, not everyone realizes they hid the recovery forms earlier into their account Creation as I've noticed it's an option. It's simply a post to let others know it's okay not to be sure, I'm not trying to force anything down anyone's throat hence the name of my thread.

Can you clarify what exactly you mean by this? Who hid the recovery "forms" ?

Captive_Mind515

Captive_Mind515

King or street sweeper, dance with grim reaper!
Jul 18, 2023
The recovery forums can be hidden in account settings

Right, but it's not hidden by default automatically.

If someone decides to hide the recovery or suicide sections, then it's because they don't want to read those sort of topics. So you are posting in the suicide discussion, trying to force those topics on people who have deliberately decided that they don't want them. You said you're not trying to "force anything down people's throat" but it seems like you really were.

Reactions: woh6, olearius, Deleted member 31858 and 1 other person
P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018

It could be done

like @Captive_Mind515 pointed out, the recovery sub-forum is not hidden by default. a person will take action themselves by going into their account settings and choosing to hide the recovery section for their own reasons.

as a result, posting such content in the suicide discussion part of the forum is blindsiding those people who have opted not to view recovery-related posts, especially if you were to have posted it to ensure more people saw it.

i get you've been screwed over in your personal experiences when it came to getting help. however, that's your experience.

before you continue, i encourage you to try and learn more about the reasons why some people have the recovery-section hidden to begin with. it will expand on what you know and better understand how others feel when it comes to seeking help.

best of luck.

Reactions: Captive_Mind515, Deleted member 31858, Tesha and 1 other person
MushroomTaffy

MushroomTaffy

Roach
Sep 26, 2023
Right, but it's not hidden by default automatically.

If someone decides to hide the recovery or suicide sections, then it's because they don't want to read those sort of topics. So you are posting in the suicide discussion, trying to force those topics on people who have deliberately decided that they don't want them. You said you're not trying to "force anything down people's throat" but it seems like you really were.
DLDR? It's really that simple it's a directed message which is why I titled it "to those reconsidering." It's literally a targeted post towards people reconsidering. I'm not gonna change the minds of those people and egg them on to do it, that's cruel. Why you feel the need to get upset at the mere sight of something positive targeted at people who as the name literally states are re-evaluating their choices are beyond me. Yes I should have posted it in recovery but getting yourself upset over a post not meant for you is really not worth your energy.
like @Captive_Mind515 pointed out, the recovery sub-forum is not hidden by default. a person will take action themselves by going into their account settings and choosing to hide the recovery section for their own reasons.

as a result, posting such content in the suicide discussion part of the forum is blindsiding those people who have opted not to view recovery-related posts, especially if you were to have posted it to ensure more people saw it.

i get you've been screwed over in your personal experiences when it came to getting help. however, that's your experience.

before you continue, i encourage you to try and learn more about the reasons why some people have the recovery-section hidden to begin with. it will expand on what you know and better understand how others feel when it comes to seeking help.

best of luck.
It's a targeted post, again yes I should have posted it in recovery but it's as simple as skipping over my forum, you quite literally have to open it. You are intentionally reading over it and getting upset, I get we all hate read and that's fine, but the title literally states that it's for a specific group.

Last edited:
L

lifeisnotforme

Sep 25, 2023
no suicide is the only answer for me there is no other way out.

• Hugs
Reactions: woh6
Tesha

Tesha

Life too shall pass
May 31, 2020
Ooooh, you're going to make one of those therapists that people on this forum probably write shit things about. You might want to reconsider your approach or potential job choice.

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
DLDR? It's really that simple it's a directed message which is why I titled it "to those reconsidering." It's literally a targeted post towards people reconsidering. I'm not gonna change the minds of those people and egg them on to do it, that's cruel. Why you feel the need to get upset at the mere sight of something positive targeted at people who as the name literally states are re-evaluating their choices are beyond me. Yes I should have posted it in recovery but getting yourself upset over a post not meant for you is really not worth your energy.

It's a targeted post, again yes I should have posted it in recovery but it's as simple as skipping over my forum, you quite literally have to open it. You are intentionally reading over it and getting upset, I get we all hate read and that's fine, but the title literally states that it's for a specific group.
I'm not intentionally reading over your title. I understand you wanted to reach a certain group of members on the forum, who are stuck in limbo.

no one is criticizing you for not wanting to fall in line and egg people on to CTB? encouragement of any kind is against forum rules. again, what are you even talking about? just how personal you're taking criticism and twisting it into something it isn't is our point.

you need to be made aware that regardless of who you intended to target, you will be met with criticism because of where it was posted and the forum that you're on. no, it isn't because people are upset at the sight of positivity. reducing it to that is again, our point. you are struggling to acknowledge the constructive criticism and accept it as something you can take into consideration and use to improve future posts like this.

thus far, people have been critical of your post. this is what other people want you to do. think about WHY. it begs the question, well why would you be met with criticism? why would people reply to your post if they aren't apart of the group you intended to target?

that's the overarching point. you being dismissive, taking it personally, and reducing it to someone being "upset" is the problem. you need to develop a better understanding of the underlying reasons for why members on this forum are turned off by any form of help, even those stuck in limbo WHO YOU ARE TRYING TO TARGET.

and if you're just looking for a way to cope i suggest turning to help. There are multiple hotlines, both for text and calling, plenty of therapists and social workers, and maybe someone who will sit and listen inside of your friends, family, or even just a nice stranger. I'm sure you don't want to burden others with your issues, but not everyone sees it that way, including me. I've wanted to work in therapy for as long as I can remember, and I even personally take the time to hear others out.

it extends beyond your individual experiences. to really empathize and make other members feel your point, especially when it comes to a topic that is divisive, you must make an effort to dig deeper and better understand where they're coming from.

for many of us, HELP has exacerbated our pain and suffering. if HELP includes someone being there to sit and listen, we could quite honestly care less because the approach treats our problems as black and white.

when you say you understand that there's bad help, but then suggest people to still try, it feels like a slap across the face, especially for people who have been victimized by different avenues of help.

sometimes, we don't want someone to fix our problems, we want a person to sit and listen, like you said. but, with listening, we want someone to try and understand where we're coming from, not shut us down because it doesn't fit how they feel? what you've done so far in the replies is the opposite of what you said you wished to do.

to reiterate, i am apart of the target audience that your post was attempting to reach. now, as someone within that group, i'm trying to help you understand why you'll be met with criticism, why you shouldn't take it personally, and how you can incorporate and build off it to improve future posts regarding the matter.

now, the way you choose to handle the constructive criticism that your post has been met with from this point forward will be telling. it will shed light on just how willing you are to want to be an ear for vulnerable members on the forum.

nevertheless, i appreciate your attempts at trying to contribute to the recovery section of the forum, and i look forward to reading your future threads.

• Love
Reactions: Captive_Mind515, woh6, olearius and 2 others
S

spinningship

Student
Dec 20, 2022
I get that a lot of people have been burnt by therapists and medication hasn't worked for them and no cognitive techniques have helped. But equally, I think some of these people fall into the trap of assuming everyone posting here is in that exact same position. I hadn't actually tried therapy or medication when I joined this forum originally. I would cringe at the thought of ever posting in the recovery forum. My attitude was basically what's the point in recovering it's all just bullshit anyway.

It's very easy in that mindset to just see medication as tricking yourself and therapy as just a caricature of fake normie positivity bs which i'm sure it sometimes is. In hindsight I can recognize that as the depression talking, but my alexithymia kinda had me thinking no I'm not depressed it's just life is suffering and existence is inherently pointless. Which now I can see as just intellectualizing emotions not any real philosophy. But with the percentage of autistic ppl on here, and 50% of autistic ppl being alexthymic I can't imagine this is too rare of a story.

I mean I know suicide discussion isn't a complete echo chamber and people do often suggest reasonable stuff. But there is a portion of users who just seem obsessed with arguing that suicide is the only logical thing to do and anyone who even tries to suggest someone go to therapy gets shut down as being a 'pro-lifer'.

Last edited:
Reactions: lita-lassi
P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
I get that a lot of people have been burnt by therapists and medication hasn't worked for them and no cognitive techniques have helped. But equally, I think some of these people fall into the trap of assuming everyone posting here is in that exact same position. I hadn't actually tried therapy or medication when I joined this forum originally. I would cringe at the thought of ever posting in the recovery forum. My attitude was basically what's the point in recovering it's all just bullshit anyway.

It's very easy in that mindset to just see medication as tricking yourself and therapy as just a caricature of fake normie positivity bs which i'm sure it sometimes is. In hindsight I can recognize that as the depression talking, but my alexithymia kinda had me thinking no I'm not depressed it's just life is suffering and existence is inherently pointless. Which now I can see as just intellectualizing emotions not any real philosophy. But with the percentage of autistic ppl on here, and 50% of autistic ppl being alexthymic I can't imagine this is too rare of a story.

I mean I know suicide discussion isn't a complete echo chamber and people do often suggest reasonable stuff. But there is a portion of users who just seem obsessed with arguing that suicide is the only logical thing to do and anyone who even tries to suggest someone go to therapy gets shut down as being a 'pro-lifer'.
I agree that reducing help or suggestions made to being "pro-life" doesn't help the problem. however, it's important to consider where that resistance stems from.

at the same time, I would argue that those on the outside looking in are actually the ones that often treat the experiences of vulnerable people as equally the same. hence, why therapy-pushing is as big as it is today, being treated as a one-size-fits-all solution, which is where that desire to want to fight such treatment comes from. it extends beyond being burnt by therapists.

Instead, it's important to give power to those struggling, who have been victimized and treated horribly by different avenues of help, which has exacerbated their pain and suffering. time after time, we have people in society speaking about treatment and medication on the behalf of others. as a result, many members here want the microphone instead. they've had enough and rightfully so.

when you've gone through terrible experiences with certain treatment, only for people to continue to shove it down your throat, its invalidating and you don't feel heard or understood, so you grow to resist help. I believe many members here are valid in how they feel.

none of this is to say treatment and medication is horrible. it can be a helpful avenue for many people, especially if you haven't tried it. I would encourage people to be open to testing the waters before coming to a conclusion. you're an example of this and I'm glad it has worked out for you.

what we're aiming for is to have an open discussion about treatment and medication. often times, when we go against the grain in our lives, whether it's not wanting to undergo treatment or take medication, especially because of prior experiences, we are shamed and made to feel weak or broken, like we're the problem. and then, it stops there, nothing more. you've chosen to not help yourself, that's on you.

instead, we should work with people and explore other avenues of help that may better address their underlying problems. that begins with a willingness to understand that each experience is complex, unique and different. through this, you can begin to dive deeper into the intricacies of such issues.

this involves financial barriers to seeking professional help, the stigma of therapy within marginalized communities, and the ingrained fear of mistreatment due to cultural differences (cultural competence in healthcare). on the other hand, it's just as crucial to understand and recognize times when common avenues of help that are beneficial to you and I would not be appropriate to recommend to someone. thus, how pushing it in such instances will come off as invalidating and condescending.

many members on this forum view CTB as their only way out because they are suffering from material conditions (unemployment, housing insecurity, lack of access to basic means, social exclusion). as a result, how they feel is a rational human response to suffering. a focus on and push towards diagnosing, medicating, and treatment will not address the underlying social problems that exacerbate their pain and suffering.

it runs deeper than simply having one or two bad therapists and medication not working out for a person. what turns people off on this forum and makes them want to resist is when certain discussions about mental health and treatment are treated as black and white, including this thread.

it's crucial that we acknowledge the range of factors that can influence mental health and the different responses to treatment. likewise, understanding that certain avenues of help are not one-size-fits-all solutions, and that each of us are different and unique. we should continue to strive for open discussions on the topic of seeking help in a critical manner.

• Love
Reactions: Captive_Mind515, Tesha and olearius
O

olearius

wannabe polymath
Jun 25, 2023
I'm sure you mean well OP. It seems like you genuinely hope to change people's minds. So I hope you really take in what I'm about to say:

If a user chose to hide the recovery section, it is likely because it is triggering. Being suicidal for any amount of time is very traumatic for the person. While our societies don't really recognize suicide-related trauma for the suicidal person (only family/friends of people who ctb), I assure you, suicidal people are traumatized - inherent to being suicidal, irregardless of the things that played a role in their decision making.

Posting this outside of recovery is effectively choosing to re-traumatize individuals without their consent or knowledge. This is why trigger warnings, for example, exist so someone with PTSD can consent or not by choosing to avoid the trigger.

As someone with very complex severe PTSD, stemming from infancy, and a very *long* history of wanting to ctb, I am gently urging you to listen to your fellow sufferers here as they address how problematic your actions have been. It's okay to mean well and be wrong and hurt people - everyone does it. It's okay to say "yeah I guess I didn't consider that point, I'm sorry for the hurt I've caused, I won't do this again".

Just a perspective you may not have considered.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captive_Mind515, Melly, woh6 and 1 other person