hfdepression30

hfdepression30

Experienced
Mar 30, 2021
"Research on seasonal effects on suicide rates suggests that the prevalence of suicide is greatest during the late spring and early summer months (April - June), despite the common belief that suicide rates peak during the cold and dark months of the winter season."

I've never really thought about the rates of suicide depending on the time of year or which season it is. I would've assumed winter/new year would've had the highest peak, but coincidentally we are allegedly in the midst of 'suicide season' right now, and I'm hoping to be gone before this week is over.

Do you find your suicidal tendencies are stronger at this time of year, or fairly even throughout the entire year?

Reactions: bad luck, Some1's_Wasted_Fetus and Ame
JustAMatterOfTime

JustAMatterOfTime

Fragile
Mar 21, 2021
Interesting always thought it was January just after Christmas and with dark cold weather.

Reactions: hfdepression30 and TooConscious
T

TooConscious

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2020
That's true for Scandinavian countries I know it definitely is in Iceland but I'm pretty sure it's winter, Christmas time for other western societies.
I really struggle in summer I find it harder to settle, wake up early with the sun, it's as if I become drained rather than energized.

Reactions: hfdepression30
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/suicide-in-spain.64242/#post-1195313

Reactions: bad luck, Alec and hfdepression30
hfdepression30

hfdepression30

Experienced
Mar 30, 2021
That's true for Scandinavian countries I know it definitely is in Iceland but I'm pretty sure it's winter, Christmas time for other western societies.
I really struggle in summer I find it harder to settle, wake up early with the sun, it's as if I become drained rather than energized.
I checked multiple sources for the USA and Europe, and all share the same findings that despite increases around winter and new year, the highest peak is in late spring and early summer

Reactions: Alec, Some1's_Wasted_Fetus, Ame and 1 other person
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
Im stunned it isnt around christmas time

Reactions: TooConscious and hfdepression30
lofticries

lofticries

obedear
Feb 27, 2021
More suicidal in the summer. The amount of people out and about makes my anxiety go through the roof. Winter is depressing but I feel comfortable knowing that everyone is mostly inside much of the day. Not to mention I get to walk around wearing the hood of my hoodie over my head without looking weird while being completely covered. I wouldn't mind Christmas if it meant I could be alone chilling at home and not forced to be with my dad's fam acting as if I'm normal while wanting to die at the same time.

I want to ctb at the very beginning of spring.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus, Lostandlooking, TooConscious and 1 other person
hfdepression30

hfdepression30

Experienced
Mar 30, 2021
Im stunned it isnt around christmas time
According to data, there are increases around Christmas and New Year, but overall late Spring seems to take the cake. There's a lot of conflicting reasons why it might be. I saw one which said how our hormones and biochemistry change during the Spring/Summer months which could lead to an increase of mania or impulsive behaviour. Allegedly people with bipolar disorder are at a higher risk.

• Wow
Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus, Ame and lofticries
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I understand why this trend would be this way as I hate the warmer weather. It makes me feel more ill and there is lots of unwanted noise from other people which makes me more depressed.
Maybe its also because in the winter bad weather prevents people from travelling to ctb locations such as cliffs etc.

Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus and hfdepression30
filtfarfar

filtfarfar

Apr 12, 2021
This sounds reasonable to me at least. The warm weather combined with more happy people outside makes me more depressed.

Reactions: FuneralCry and Ame
JustAMatterOfTime

JustAMatterOfTime

Fragile
Mar 21, 2021
I understand why this trend would be this way as I hate the warmer weather. It makes me feel more ill and there is lots of unwanted noise from other people which makes me more depressed.
Maybe its also because in the winter bad weather prevents people from travelling to ctb locations such as cliffs etc.
Me too I have to use an air conditioner or I feel all sticky and horrible and I live in England where it does not even get really hot. :'(:'(

Reactions: FuneralCry
RedHarlequin

RedHarlequin

Mage
Jul 8, 2018
Idk, it is something about the sunny weather and birds singing for me. Just makes me feel like ctb.

Reactions: FuneralCry
killedbypsychiatry

killedbypsychiatry

drugging kids is abuse
Jan 27, 2021
April - June
makes sense if you don't want to ruin major dates like Christmas, summer vacations, etc for your family

are stronger at this time of year, or fairly even throughout the entire year?
Yes for me it is during spring and summer because at least during winter the weather matches my mood and I don't feel as isolated for being home in bed all day. While during summer it's sunny and everyone is out having fun. It also causes grief of how I used to enjoy summer and now I can't.

• Aww..
Reactions: lofticries
S

Some1's_Wasted_Fetus

Student
Mar 20, 2021
Not surprised by this at all. I find myself more anxious during the summer months for some unexplainable reason. I sleep worse when the climate is warmer and I hate seeing people out and about having fun while I'm rotting at home

Reactions: Random, filtfarfar, lofticries and 2 others