• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

FutureHanger

FutureHanger

fml
Dec 9, 2023
First off how do I actually DO hyperventilation? Also when practicing what should I expect? When doing CTBing should I keep my mouth and nose shut before jumping into the body of water?

Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
First off how do I actually DO hyperventilation?
By definition, hyperventilation is rapid or deep breathing. Higher depth and rate of breaths produce stronger effect.
Also when practicing what should I expect?
Possible perceptions are described in Wikipedia. Hyperventilation reduces the amount of CO2 in the blood and the lungs, that lets you hold breath without having urge to breathe longer than usually. Ideally, you can pass out without feeling urge to breathe, but you may need many cycles of hyperventilation followed by breath-holding to achieve blackout without feeling suffocation.

Some people can pass out directly from hyperventilation, but this should not be your goal, because you'd most likely wake up a few seconds later.
When doing CTBing should I keep my mouth and nose shut before jumping into the body of water?
Yes.

FutureHanger

FutureHanger

fml
Dec 9, 2023
By definition, hyperventilation is rapid or deep breathing. Higher depth and rate of breaths produce stronger effect
I've tried it before it hasn't worked is there like a video i could follow to know what rate to go at?
Possible perceptions are described in Wikipedia. Hyperventilation reduces the amount of CO2 in the blood and the lungs, that lets you hold breath without having urge to breathe longer than usually. Ideally, you can pass out without feeling urge to breathe, but you may need many cycles of hyperventilation followed by breath-holding to achieve blackout without feeling suffocation.

Some people can pass out directly from hyperventilation, but this should not be your goal, because you'd most likely wake up a few seconds later.
I'd just like to know how long blackout lasts during practice, would less than 10 mins be realistic?
And that last line confusing so you saying i should hyperventilate then hold breath?

Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
I've tried it before it hasn't worked
Did you measure the time of longest bearable breath-holding with and without hyperventilation?
is there like a video i could follow to know what rate to go at?
Just try to breathe deeply as fast as you can. 1 iteration of inhaling and exhaling per second should be sufficient.
I'd just like to know how long blackout lasts during practice, would less than 10 mins be realistic?
If you do it underwater, the blackout will be permanent. Otherwise, you'll probably wake up in half a minute.
And that last line confusing so you saying i should hyperventilate then hold breath?
That's how the method is supposed to work. You run out of oxygen during breath-holding and pass out. Hyperventilation only delays urge to breathe.

Reactions: FutureHanger
FutureHanger

FutureHanger

fml
Dec 9, 2023
Did you measure the time of longest bearable breath-holding with and without hyperventilation?
No i was expecting to passout
If you do it underwater, the blackout will be permanent. Otherwise, you'll probably wake up in half a minute.
Oh good to know
That's how the method is supposed to work. You run out of oxygen during breath-holding and pass out. Hyperventilation only delays urge to breathe.
Okay and how long should I hyperventilate before holding breath, half a minute be fine? and after that should I try hold my breath for like 2 mins? Is blacking out the same thing as being unconscious?

Just try to breathe deeply as fast as you can. 1 iteration of inhaling and exhaling per second should be sufficient.

I hyperventilated at a rate that was like 1 breath and a half to 3 quarters per second since I was just doing it as fast as I can for like 6 seconds then tried to hold it for 2 mins but only got to a minute and a half what should I do next time

Last edited:
Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
No i was expecting to passout
From hyperventilation? That's pointless. You wouldn't benefit from loss of consciousness induced by low CO2 level, because CO2 will be accumulated again and then you'll wake up. You need to achieve loss of consciousness induced by low oxygen level, rather than low CO2 level.
Okay and how long should I hyperventilate before holding breath
I'd do it for 1 - 2 minutes before the first breath-holding and for random intervals between 5 seconds and 2 minutes before subsequent breath-holds. Maybe there is a more optimal tactics, I haven't researched this method thoroughly.
and after that should I try hold my breath for like 2 mins?
Hold your breath as long as you can.
Is blacking out the same thing as being unconscious?
Yes. You'll probably feel lightheadedness shortly before losing consciousness. I've reached lightheadedness without waiting for full blackout once, it required probably more than 20 cycles of hyperventilation and breath-holding performed one by one. This method is far from being easy and quick.
but only got to a minute and a half what should I do next time
I think, you won't achieve a noticeable progress without being able to hold your breath for at least 3 minutes.

L

losing hope

Arcanist
Apr 27, 2022
Purely for educational purposes I found this; https://www.wimhofmethod.com/what-is-shallow-water-blackout

& This vid;

Does anyone know if smoking affects your ability to hyperventilate / undertake this method?

After reading that first link, presumably it might mean you have more CO2 in your blood already (from the smoking) & since the breath reflex relies on detection of CO2 in the bloodstream, so you will need to bring CO2 more down to below baseline. Than the average person, so it will take longer to do SWB?

Also why isn't this method discussed more given how apparently simple it seems?

Last edited:
Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
Also why isn't this method discussed more given how apparently simple it seems?
It's nearly as simple as making fire with a stone. If you can afford at least some cheapest asphyxiant (for $3 - $10), then you can cause fainting from gas asphyxiation before drowning. It's way more easy and quick.

Reactions: losing hope
L

losing hope

Arcanist
Apr 27, 2022
Intoxicated

Intoxicated

M
Nov 16, 2023
What cheap asphyxiation methods were you thinking?
There are cheap keyboard cleaners with liquefied gases (1,1-difluoroethane, 1,1,1-trifluoroethane, 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane, propane, butane, isobutane) and cans with liquefied butane for butane torches. When inhaled, such gases can displace oxygen from the lungs causing rapid fainting (I can show examples in PM).

Reactions: sash and losing hope
FutureHanger

FutureHanger

fml
Dec 9, 2023
From hyperventilation? That's pointless. You wouldn't benefit from loss of consciousness induced by low CO2 level, because CO2 will be accumulated again and then you'll wake up. You need to achieve loss of consciousness induced by low oxygen level, rather than low CO2 level.
I thought hyperventilation reduced oxygen? if not then how do i reduce it without increasing CO2 levels
Hold your breath as long as you can.
Ok I'll try that out see how it goes
Yes. You'll probably feel lightheadedness shortly before losing consciousness. I've reached lightheadedness without waiting for full blackout once, it required probably more than 20 cycles of hyperventilation and breath-holding performed one by one. This method is far from being easy and quick.
Alright at least I know what to expect
I think, you won't achieve a noticeable progress without being able to hold your breath for at least 3 minutes.
Ok