tinymoon

tinymoon

Feb 6, 2023
While after years of isolation I'm making more concentrated efforts to make friends and have a significant other, it takes time and I still feel crushingly lonely on a day-to-day basis. Sometimes I feel so lonely, misunderstood, and unable to connect that I want to kill myself, but I want to give it more time before coming to such extreme conclusions. Does anyone have tips for how to combat loneliness?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Keto, alonely, aSilentVoice and 3 others
Viranamari

Viranamari

A Future Corpse
Feb 22, 2023
The first and most important step is to acknowledge your loneliness which I'm sure you already did. Secondly, if you use social media, you should learn to know when to engage and disengage from the online world as they might leave you inadequate, left out or lonely. I suggest finding volunteer opportunities like visiting an old age home to volunteer as it might leave you happier and less lonely. Or you might consider joining a group or club. Or even simple things like exercising, eating healthily or sleeping well can make you feel less lonely. Anyways, it's a good thing that you are putting in the effort to get better and I hope this helps. Loneliness is a rather common and negative feeling and I can't assure you my tips would help but it's worth a shot.

• Love
Reactions: N33dT0D13, aSilentVoice, tinymoon and 1 other person
Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
I hope sasu helps you feel a bit less lonely but it's true that it isn't the same as irl companionship. Whatever efforts you are making irl, don't be discouraged.

• Love
Reactions: N33dT0D13, aSilentVoice, tinymoon and 2 others
guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
it sounds like you're feeling lonely despite having irl socializing? do you feel lonely all the time or just when you're alone or just certain times/late at night?

my loneliness is p much due to not having anyone in my life irl, so idk if the things I find helpful will be helpful for you but my pet helps me a lot. that's a big responsibility though so might not be the best idea if you're not planning on sticking around. I had to leave fb bc it was making me feel left out and lonely big time. I've been socializing here instead bc ppl don't just ignore me, plus it's strangers so if they did ignore me, it wouldn't hurt my feelings lolsob. Therapy helps me, I feel like I'm free to vent about things that overwhelm the few friends who still occasionally talk to me. I do have to be careful what I tell a therapist though.

And I've been doing rituals lately to contact my ancestors, talking to them and getting help with decisions. I can tell them anything so in some ways it's better than therapy for me. if this is something that appeals to you (or anyone reading) and you have anyone close to you who has passed, a candle and something that makes you feel close to them, a picture, an item that used to belong to them, their ashes, etc. will do. Anything you associate with them. I suggest having additional things like their favorite music, tv show, food, flower, or scent in the environment if you can as well. Focus on them while you light the candle and continue to focus on them and just talk. The first time I did it, it felt a little silly and I didn't know what to say but things were really bad for me. All I said was "I need help" and I just sat there quietly feeling their presence. a week later I got something in the mail that was incredibly helpful and has kept me holding on to hope ever since. I can't promise that will be anyone else's experience. I really didn't go into it hoping to receive anything other than their company. Since then I've been able to open up a lot more and not feel so silly talking to them.

I hope you find something that helps you feel less alone <3

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: alonely, tinymoon and H.O.Xan
dunwitit

dunwitit

Im really tired and I want to go home.
Mar 26, 2023
Maybe a pet? My dog has been with me for 10 yrs. She is definitely my best friend.
I also think volunteering is a great idea.

• Love
Reactions: aSilentVoice and tinymoon
Galileo3630

Galileo3630

Tsundere
Mar 22, 2023
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with loneliness, but it's great to hear that you're making an effort to improve your social connections. Building relationships can take time, but it's important to keep trying and not give up.

Here are some tips that may help combat loneliness:

1. Find a hobby or activity that you enjoy and join a group or club that shares your interests. This can help you meet like-minded people and make new friends.
  2. Volunteer in your community. Volunteering can give you a sense of purpose and help you connect with others who share your values and passions.
  3. Attend social events and gatherings, even if you feel nervous or uncomfortable. It's important to put yourself out there and be open to new experiences and opportunities.
  4. Connect with others online. There are many online communities and support groups that can provide a sense of connection and belonging.
  5. Practice self-care and focus on building a fulfilling life for yourself, even if you don't have a large social circle yet. Take care of your physical and mental health, pursue your passions, and focus on personal growth and development.
It's also important to remember that loneliness is a common experience, and it's okay to feel this way sometimes. It's important to be kind and compassionate to yourself, and to seek support and help if you need it. Consider talking to a therapist or counselor, who can provide you with tools and strategies to manage your feelings and build healthy relationships. Remember, you are not alone, and there is hope for a brighter future.

• Love
Reactions: aSilentVoice and tinymoon
tinymoon

tinymoon

Feb 6, 2023
The first and most important step is to acknowledge your loneliness which I'm sure you already did. Secondly, if you use social media, you should learn to know when to engage and disengage from the online world as they might leave you inadequate, left out or lonely. I suggest finding volunteer opportunities like visiting an old age home to volunteer as it might leave you happier and less lonely. Or you might consider joining a group or club. Or even simple things like exercising, eating healthily or sleeping well can make you feel less lonely. Anyways, it's a good thing that you are putting in the effort to get better and I hope this helps. Loneliness is a rather common and negative feeling and I can't assure you my tips would help but it's worth a shot.
Thank you for the response. Social media is an interesting case because it helps me feel more connected at times, but if I spend too much on it I start feeling more lonely. Seeing other people get along, or be more interesting and engaging people than me in some way, makes me feel inferior and isolated. I definitely need to work on it. I also think volunteering is a good idea, I can connect with people meaningfully and accomplish some good. I wish you well. <3
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with loneliness, but it's great to hear that you're making an effort to improve your social connections. Building relationships can take time, but it's important to keep trying and not give up.

Here are some tips that may help combat loneliness:

1. Find a hobby or activity that you enjoy and join a group or club that shares your interests. This can help you meet like-minded people and make new friends.
  2. Volunteer in your community. Volunteering can give you a sense of purpose and help you connect with others who share your values and passions.
  3. Attend social events and gatherings, even if you feel nervous or uncomfortable. It's important to put yourself out there and be open to new experiences and opportunities.
  4. Connect with others online. There are many online communities and support groups that can provide a sense of connection and belonging.
  5. Practice self-care and focus on building a fulfilling life for yourself, even if you don't have a large social circle yet. Take care of your physical and mental health, pursue your passions, and focus on personal growth and development.
It's also important to remember that loneliness is a common experience, and it's okay to feel this way sometimes. It's important to be kind and compassionate to yourself, and to seek support and help if you need it. Consider talking to a therapist or counselor, who can provide you with tools and strategies to manage your feelings and build healthy relationships. Remember, you are not alone, and there is hope for a brighter future.
These are all fantastic tips! I've been employing them mostly, so I think part of it is leaning more into it and also accepting that this will take time. I need to be more patient and present with my loneliness rather than trying to push it away. It will, with the right actions, hopefully alleviate with time. Thank you for your response and I wish you well. <3

Reactions: aSilentVoice
SpaceEngineer

SpaceEngineer

A Friend
Jun 29, 2023
Always here if you need to talk buddy, but In terms of suggestions I would have to say podcasts. There's most likely something you'll find interesting and it kinda fills the silence and removes the anxiety of being alone for me anyway. Always a plus when it's educational/intriguing too :)