wistfulness

wistfulness

Nov 15, 2023
Hi does anyone have any tips for acquiring a gun, especially with a past hospitalization on their record? I'm over 18 and live in the U.S. but I think a background check would prevent anyone from selling me a firearm

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
You probably won't be able to. If you've had a history of mental illness, people aren't gonna approve of giving you a gun. Are you particularly determined about it being via firearm?

"No, individuals who have been involuntarily committed to a mental institution or have been declared mentally incompetent by a court are prohibited from purchasing firearms in the United States."

Reactions: wistfulness
Upvote 0
tinyghost

tinyghost

go home at dawn sleep in the sun
Sep 13, 2023
in my experience being 5150ed in california, you can either wait 5 years for the ban to lift or you can appeal it to a judge before then. i dont know what your best chances are at winning that hearing but you might look into it. every time they discharge me they explain it to me. it could be that each state is different.

Reactions: hikikomorizombie and wistfulness
Upvote 0
sleepy10

sleepy10

Nov 24, 2023
Literally all you have to do is click "no" when that question pops up the machine only looks for a criminal history so as long as you don't have anything on your record you're okay. They can't access medical history because that's a violation of HIPPA

Reactions: divinemistress36
Upvote 0
hikikomorizombie

hikikomorizombie

Ouch
Jan 15, 2024
i've also been involuntarily hospitalized, twice for me. afterwards the gun store guy said i could try & lie on my app to see what happens, but he didn't know what would. it's a federal law to not sell firearms to any1 w an involuntary hospitalization, so i didn't wanna take the risk of getting arrested & being stuck in a cell on top of everything else, lol. could always try it though.

from what ik, it's like the other poster said. u have to go through an arduous legal process to restore ur gun rights, which i couldn't afford. had to swallow the pill & prepare for a diff method ://

Upvote 0
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
If you're able then it's a possibility to drive to Texas, possibly Arizona or maybe other states that are closer where there are gun shows where they don't do any background checks. Of course the only problem is driving it across state lines and getting back home.

If you're savvy enough on how to search online and try to shop around you can find private dealers who 'most' of the time won't ask or require background checks.

Upvote 0