Eren

Eren

Si hablas español mándame un MP
Oct 27, 2018
Hypocrisy is something that bothers me a lot, although I am aware that we all are in some sense.

I propose to write in this thread anything that seems hypocritical to you.

For example, I find it hypocritical when someone says that the physical is not important but then they are really selective in that aspect.

Reactions: ocd is bad, Lorntroubles, TheSoulless and 2 others
Stavrogin

Stavrogin

If God not be, then this world dies with me
Jul 1, 2020
For example, I find it hypocritical when someone says that the physical is not important but then they are really selective in that aspect.

Yeah that's one of the big ones. It's natural to be as selective as you can in that aspect - everyone wants the best. Physical attractiveness and other signs of good health are what we're naturally drawn towards due to our instinct to reproduce and have the healthiest offspring. Ugliness and bad signs of health are things we instinctively wish to avoid. Of course everyone has to compromise, to one degree or another, but there are people who will remain at the bottom of the social hierarchy from cradle to grave. It's one of those harsh truths.

Reactions: ocd is bad, Eren and TheSoulless
nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
Obvious example:

I can't stand it when people claim to be compassionate and understanding about mental illness but then are like "what the Fuck is going on with you" as soon as you display a symptom they don't like or didn't expect.

• Love
Reactions: Sprite_Geist, Iwanttooffmyself, Tragoedia Vitae and 8 others
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
When people go
"My body, my choice"
Yet still say
"Suicide is horrible and selfish"

Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae, Bct, Sprite_Geist and 2 others
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
The world it loaded with hypocrisy tbh. I don't think it's a character flaw, more of a product of the fact that what people say when they think about things logically and what they do when emotions are involved tend to end up being different.

Reactions: ebt88, Tragoedia Vitae, Woodnote and 2 others
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
Humans unfortunately are bound by contradictions. To avoid the cognitive dissonance by those contradictions, they stop thinking and have double standards instead of thinking and seeing how life is inherently wrong. Add the toxicity to that and how humans like to pretend to be something different on the outside and hypocrisy is made which is something that fills the world.

• Love
Reactions: Sprite_Geist, Iwanttooffmyself, Tragoedia Vitae and 1 other person
F

FusRohDracarys

But what do I know
Mar 31, 2020
Well, there's the obvious "anti lockdown protests endanger everyone" and "BLM protests are not a threat to anyone"

But in general, it really irritates me when someone asks for honest and open opinions and then silences them when they realize it's a dissenting opinion. Not wanting to hear opposition is fine sometimes... I get it, arguing can be exhausting and validation can be nice. But be aware and make it clear you're looking for an echo chamber and hug box.

• Love
Reactions: Iwanttooffmyself, Tragoedia Vitae and Stavrogin
Eren

Eren

Oct 27, 2018
Yeah that's one of the big ones. It's natural to be as selective as you can in that aspect - everyone wants the best. Physical attractiveness and other signs of good health are what we're naturally drawn towards due to our instinct to reproduce and have the healthiest offspring. Ugliness and bad signs of health are things we instinctively wish to avoid. Of course everyone has to compromise, to one degree or another, but there are people who will remain at the bottom of the social hierarchy from cradle to grave. It's one of those harsh truths.

Yes, it is one of the most hypocritical things, very widespread, even people who say they do not care about the physique do care, it is natural.

Reactions: Stavrogin
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Some people don't even care about being hypocrites. They have standards for others they don't live by themselves. I can't stand it. It's sheer laziness. Or they project everything they're guilty of onto others which is an admission that they know they just don't care. Fine if they stop judging others so harshly but that's not the case. They hate it when other people do what they do they just think everyone else should change and not them. Who do they think they are is the question that springs to mind.

• Love
Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae and Eren
Eren

Eren

Oct 27, 2018
Some people don't even care about being hypocrites. They have standards for others they don't live by themselves. I can't stand it. It's sheer laziness. Or they project everything they're guilty of onto others which is an admission that they know they just don't care. Fine if they stop judging others so harshly but that's not the case. They hate it when other people do what they do they just think everyone else should change and not them. Who do they think they are is the question that springs to mind.

I see this behavior especially in people who give "moral lessons" to others. We are all really hypocrites at some point, but it's something I really detest.

Reactions: Mr2005 and TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
What I find hypocritical is why do pro-lifers (including religious ones) hate death so much and would do (just about) everything and anything to preserve life, even at the cost of that person's quality of life or their best interests (basically said person has no say over the pro-lifers). But on the same token, be very fervently supportive of the death penalty and/or advocating death for some heinous people. It is hypocritical because it's basically saying that death is always bad and life is always good, but death is good for certain situations. It's either death is bad and all kinds of death (including capital punishment) or death isn't necessarily bad. Pick a side and stick with it.

There are many other examples, but this is one of the biggest nuisances and common arguments that I hear a lot.

Reactions: Eren
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
What I find hypocritical is why do pro-lifers (including religious ones) hate death so much and would do (just about) everything and anything to preserve life, even at the cost of that person's quality of life or their best interests (basically said person has no say over the pro-lifers). But on the same token, be very fervently supportive of the death penalty and/or advocating death for some heinous people. It is hypocritical because it's basically saying that death is always bad and life is always good, but death is good for certain situations. It's either death is bad and all kinds of death (including capital punishment) or death isn't necessarily bad. Pick a side and stick with it.

There are many other examples, but this is one of the biggest nuisances and common arguments that I hear a lot.

Natalist prolifers are hypocritical. Not only they avoid death and support death penalty but support reproduction which will lead to an inevitable future death.

Reactions: Iwanttooffmyself and Eren
Eren

Eren

Oct 27, 2018

Exactly, they are only "pro-life" for what interests them.

Reactions: Mr2005
Iwanttooffmyself

Iwanttooffmyself

Are we human beings or government property?
Sep 6, 2019
I've had several people do this, and it's where it comes across as hypocritical and thoroughly incongruent. They say they believe in freedom of speech, then will turn around and tell me that certain speech should be banned and punishable as hate speech. Often when it's simply over something they only want one opinion on.

Reactions: Eren
Eren

Eren

Oct 27, 2018
I've had several people do this, and it's where it comes across as hypocritical and thoroughly incongruent. They say they believe in freedom of speech, then will turn around and tell me that certain speech should be banned and punishable as hate speech. Often when it's simply over something they only want one opinion on.

"Freedom of speech" is also a source of hypocrisy.

Eren

Eren

Oct 27, 2018
My father is a religious fanatic, basically where everything is sin, instead he does things that are immoral for practically anyone.

Warning: I am not saying that all religious people are like this.