TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
When my time comes in the future, with regards to my CTB'ing, would writing a letter in support towards assisted suicide, death-with-dignity, and/or similar organizations showing my support for their cause, wishing them well, and also hoping that they can succeed in their cause in pushing for more states in legalization of death with dignity and assisted suicide laws be a good thing?

I know that their cause is not the exact same as what we have in terms of pro-choice, but there is certainly some overlap because they support the right and choice to die for the terminally ill. I know that they will likely have assisted suicide for the terminally ill legalized far before having voluntary euthanasia for the pro-choice people (people like us). I think it's one way to spread my wishes and maybe be heard a bit more after my passing. If this is an unsound idea, please let me know and explain your reasoning.

Reactions: GoodPersonEffed, itsamadworld and Jumper Geo
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
Does anyone have any thoughts on this idea, or would this be a moot task?

T

Thatdude

Life is temporary, death is permanent
Sep 26, 2019
Moot IMO. The problem isn't they are or aren't supporting us. Death is taboo. Then to top that off. Suicide is even more of a taboo subject.

Like the pot laws, I think the only way to change anything is by some states allowing assisted suicide to people who are not ill. Like in the USA there already is several states where it is legal if you're terminally ill and 6 months from dying. But no state has it legal outside of that.

I mean it would be hard to push for it because it is taboo, and beyond getting anyone to ok just a peaceful suicide. You have to get them to ok suicide at all.
I hate to say it, but I think the only way it can be allowed is to figure out abortion became legally a thing, and follow it its steps. Because IMO I think that is even more taboo, and somehow it is a thing.

Reactions: autumnal and itsamadworld
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
Would it accomplish anything? I don't see how it could.

Would it be a nice gesture? Sure.

Should you do it? Only you can answer that question.

I think your time would be much better spent in writing a thorough essay on the right to self-determination and the abolishment of anti-suicide laws. If you do decide to CTB (which is solely your choice of course) try mailing it to as many newspapers/stations as possible, hopefully they'll pick up on the story.

I don't see how any kind of support towards death with dignity movements would further the goal of safeguarding everyone's right to a voluntary death, unless it would create a sort of slippery-slope effect but to my knowledge even the aforementioned organizations don't support the right to suicide for everyone.

Reactions: autumnal, itsamadworld, Jumper Geo and 1 other person
TAW122

TAW122

Aug 30, 2018
@Thatdude I think you have a good point, it may be decades (and even assuming that there is enough momentum and support to push for a voluntary euthanasia, at least in the US) before that happens. Yes, I am aware of how abortion became legal and even then it was a big struggle. Speaking of which, there has been some states already starting to rollback some provisions of pro-choice (abortion) laws, one state being the state of Alabama with their Heartbeat bill and Human Life Protection Act in 2019. So in short, if the issue of abortion is still contentious, then voluntary euthanasia would have many more decades to go and that's even assuming the best of circumstances.

@Jean Améry I think I may just refrain from doing that. I will certainly be writing a thorough essay/manifesto explaining the right to self-determination and abolishment of anti-suicide laws. I have already made a draft of mine, citing Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium laws with regards to assisted suicide and euthanasia. I have included Noa Pothoven and Aurelia Brouwers as case examples to illustrate how they were allowed to die with dignity and had they been in other countries such as Canada, US, or other jurisdictions, they may not have been able to go peacefully and would resort to other means which are undignified, brutal, and may cause collateral damage for others. I would also include Adam Maier-Clayton, an Canadian right-to-die activist as an example showing that sometimes there is no "help" and some people just can't be helped (or don't wish to helped simply because life just isn't worth it). He has suffered immensely and he criticized the Canadian Bill C-14 for being too narrow in scope, such that it prohibited those who are suffering from chronic mental illnesses (after long periods of time and many attempts to treat, cure to no avail) from being able to find a dignified, peaceful exit. Again, since this a rough draft, I am still able to modify and edit content before I publish it.

As for whether newspaper and newstations picking up on my story, I don't really know (and I wouldn't know after I CTB because I would be dead - unable to see the aftermath). I certainly wish to get my story and message out there in hopes that it would push us closer towards

Last edited:
Reactions: itsamadworld
T

Thatdude

Life is temporary, death is permanent
Sep 26, 2019
there has been some states already starting to rollback some provisions of pro-choice (abortion) laws.... voluntary euthanasia would have many more decades to go and that's even assuming the best of circumstances.

The interesting thing is, you don't need a 100% coverage. You just need access to it. But I think even if every state has coverage of this. It would be pretty hard to find access for a long bit because the people who legally should be able to do this (doctors) the majority don't want to. So even if it was legal tomorrow. I think the only thing that might make it spread like abortion clients is money. Short of that, it will be about a nightmare to find enough places that aren't overrun in demand or having people trying to stop you/burn down the place.

BTW if you note what is being rolled back. In most places it isn't the full law. It is how late someone can get it. Some have talked about fully rolling it back, but that is mostly because 1 side pushing for it to be to a point most won't agree with to start with (almost at birth)