Shinbu

Shinbu

Shiki
Nov 23, 2019
"As for AI, using algorithms to predict anyone's behavior can sound scary, especially the use of systems that attempt to label Facebook users as suicidal from their posts or others that gather data from users' smartphones. But Pestian believes that there's potential for AI to do much good in the area of suicide, as long as it's only used to support human decision-making, and humans don't delegate the decision making to machines."

"Pestian believes that there's potential for AI to do much good in the area of suicide, as long as it's only used to support human decision-making, and humans don't delegate the decision making to machines.

He has developed algorithms that work with what he calls sentiment data—acoustic, visual or language patterns that differ between the suicidal and non-suicidal. In a paper published in 2016 in the journal "Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior," he applied an algorithm to interviews with a sample of 379 people, some known to be suicidal, some diagnosed with mental illness but not suicidal, and a healthy control group. The algorithm used speech, facial expressions and body language to identify the suicidal group with 85 percent accuracy."

I don't use social media. I wouldn't be in trouble with this, but imagine if this AI expanded to google searches, and the AI phones 911 on you. That would suck. This is why I have my location setting disabled with Google, and I have my web & app activity disabled. I don't have a VPN, but I would recommend to get one, or just use tor if you can't. Duck Duck Go is a good alternative to Google.

For details on the article visit https://www.healthdatamanagement.co...ld-be-the-mortality-breakthrough-of-the-2020s

Tutorial on how to disable these Google settings visit https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/google-location-tracking-turn-off/amp

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Hmph!
Reactions: Nemeshisu, Finis Autem Spero, charlottewilts and 3 others
N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
There are such projects with quite remarkble results, but the truth is that no one will care and it all comes to money paid for "manipulation", witch actually very rarely works as promised. 4-5 year old kid in youtube will always have more influence than all kind of "AI's'" combined /fake news, fake profiles, likes, comments, twees, .../. Quality always beats quantity, even into this ocean of brainlessness.

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I don't like the fact that the article states that suicide should not be a choice and that it should be prevented at all costs. It ignores the fact that there are people who don't get better, don't wish to get better, and those who decide that even in the best scenarios for them, death is still preferable than life. It has a really pro-lifey tone to it.

God forbid that AI detects suicidal people and starts intervention even without the suicidal person knowing it. That could push certain people who are already on the edge, over the edge. It is really scary if that's the road that this AI technology is headed in. In regards to the decade 2020's, I don't see a good decade coming, more invasive measures into day to day life, more freedoms being trampled, more rights violated, wage gap increasing, social unrest, and the list goes on. These are just the macro level issues, not including personal, more local issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pupuce and Shinbu
Shinbu

Shinbu

Shiki
Nov 23, 2019
I don't like the fact that the article states that suicide should not be a choice and that it should be prevented at all costs. It ignores the fact that there are people who don't get better, don't wish to get better, and those who decide that even in the best scenarios for them, death is still preferable than life. It has a really pro-lifey tone to it.

God forbid that AI detects suicidal people and starts intervention even without the suicidal person knowing it. That could push certain people who are already on the edge, over the edge. It is really scary if that's the road that this AI technology is headed in. In regards to the decade 2020's, I don't see a good decade coming, more invasive measures into day to day life, more freedoms being trampled, more rights violated, wage gap increasing, social unrest, and the list goes on. These are just the macro level issues, not including personal, more local issues.
Also the climate change is going to be still an issue in the 2020s. I don't like the anti choice agenda either on that article. I appreciate your take on this article. I found your comment interesting.

WhiteEyes

WhiteEyes

always late
Jan 20, 2020
If AI ever got completed so it was a true Artificial Super Intelligence it would fix all my problems. So I'd be okay with this sort of AI if it was temporary and then became super intelligent fairly quickly and then either erased everything or made everything better.
If there is another AI winter and we are stuck with the same narrow stuff for a decade with it being used to fuck with each other that would be a nightmare. From what I understand the latter is likely.