LucifersIntrovert

LucifersIntrovert

Buried Alive
Sep 10, 2023
Yesterday in my law class we always start off the class with "Current events or questions" and currently in California 4 sheriff officers have taken their lives all within a month. Nothing has been disclosed in why or how they did it, but that's not the point. My professor then went on to say that "Suicide is the cowards way out, and we have plenty of resources for the mentally ill". I get it we are in college and adults I fully understand that part and agree we have resources but people can only take so much stress, and believe they only have one option, shit I mean I feel like I only have one option if my law career doesn't go to plan because then I'd be another fuck up my family can put me down for. But either way do yall think teachers should and or be allowed to talk about suicide to their students? I just found it interesting that he shared his thoughts on it because usually teachers and professors aren't allowed to talk about controversial things due to persuasion.

Reactions: sserafim, Seered Doom, Forever Sleep and 1 other person
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
nobody ask to be born and nobody is obliged to stay alive
everything is meaningless. It all falls away when you die, time and space become pointless and end when you end. In an existential manner everyone is dead when you die, so why care?

The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.

• Love
Reactions: King Ashoka, Beyond_Repair, sserafim and 1 other person
DarkFriend.

DarkFriend.

Neverending Suffering
May 1, 2022
Sure. They should be allowed to say their piece. But you should be allowed to say yours too. Some think suicide is cowardly, and others might think it courageous. Some people out there think it's mentally ill for someone to want to leave this place... yet we here feel like it's mentally ill to NOT want to! Hahahaha!!

It's all meaningless though. The opinions. But yes I do indeed hate the censorship this country has come to. My my you can't say anything these days... I say let a person think out loud every now and then, no matter how stupid it may sound! 😉

Oh but then people get so offended when you show them how stupid they are. So do take care to avoid that. Unless of course that's what you're going for. In that case, I say just let it all out. Let everyone know that suicide is COOL, okay... and like super hard to pull off, because of the whole survival instinct thing... ugh why did I have to be born here. 😫

Reactions: LucifersIntrovert
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think tutors should talk to their students about it- absolutely but not in the way that guy did! Students can feel under a lot of pressure. Some could well be feeling depressed and/or suicidal themselves. Granted- tutors aren't therapists but they should care about their students. They could well be that students first port of call. They should make it clear they are available to give that support if needed. If needs be- they could then refer the student on to college therapists etc. but they ought to be kind and supportive.

That guy just shamed and isolated anyone who might be feeling suicidal. Plus- these idiots don't seem to get it that that kind of talk doesn't much endear them to us. If they really want us to stick around for people like them- they ought to try showing some compassion! That kind of talk just confirms our suspicions that this world is full of cold hearted bastards only concerned with their own needs. The 'only the fittest (or rather- most ruthless) survive.' Well- you know what? That kind of talk makes me think- Why would I want to stick around to be around people like you? You can have this world. You're welcome to it. Continue to pat yourself on the back. You've navigated through this shit storm. Well done. How many people did you trample over to get where you are?

One day, I suspect all that will be left on this rock are socio/psychopaths and narcissists. Because- they're the only types that will be able to thrive with where this race is heading. It kind of pleases me picturing them all fighting one another and having no 'weaker' specimens to pick on.

That may be unfair to this guy though. Maybe he's the opposite. Maybe he's very socially orientated and wouldn't want to hurt his loved ones but still- that was so insensitive to say. He should try doing that job. There are very high suicide rates in law enforcement generally. No wonder really. Imagine what they have to deal with? Plus- so many people hate them. They put their lives on the line to do their job and people hate them for it. That guy should try and think a little deeper. I hope he's not teaching defence attorney law. He doesn't seem to have much compassion.

Reactions: Darkover
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Yesterday in my law class we always start off the class with "Current events or questions" and currently in California 4 sheriff officers have taken their lives all within a month. Nothing has been disclosed in why or how they did it, but that's not the point. My professor then went on to say that "Suicide is the cowards way out, and we have plenty of resources for the mentally ill". I get it we are in college and adults I fully understand that part and agree we have resources but people can only take so much stress, and believe they only have one option, shit I mean I feel like I only have one option if my law career doesn't go to plan because then I'd be another fuck up my family can put me down for. But either way do yall think teachers should and or be allowed to talk about suicide to their students? I just found it interesting that he shared his thoughts on it because usually teachers and professors aren't allowed to talk about controversial things due to persuasion.

Ur profssr cld b remindd tht thy r an authry on law - nt suicde

Jst bcse thy r prfssr in 1 subjct ds nt mke evrythng tht thy sy crrct

Cld evn cmplain if wn2 bcse commnts lke tht wll caus suicdl ppl in thr clss t/ fl wrse

Reactions: Meditation guide, Foreverix and tiger b
staplestable

staplestable

Oct 25, 2023
i think it is a cowards way out and the choice weak willed people make. still not stopping me from doing it though.

• Hmph!
Reactions: Meditation guide
IDoNotExist

IDoNotExist

Apr 28, 2023
nobody ask to be born and nobody is obliged to stay alive
everything is meaningless. It all falls away when you die, time and space become pointless and end when you end. In an existential manner everyone is dead when you die, so why care?

The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.
the first paragraph.... You framed my exact thoughts perfectly. *Dramatic gasp*. ARE U STALKING ME?! *another dramatic gasp*.

Reactions: Darkover
icari

icari

Oct 24, 2023
I never understood why people say suicide is the cowards way out when the one thing that most people fear more than anything is death

• Love
Reactions: corazon, tiger b, sserafim and 1 other person
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
and currently in California 4 sheriff officers have taken their lives all within a month. Nothing has been disclosed in why or how they did it, but that's not the point. My professor then went on to say that "Suicide is the cowards way out, and we have plenty of resources for the mentally ill"
Because its not like in certain professions like law enforcement seeking mental health help is very stigmatized and could end one's career. And it's not like mental health treatment are 100% effective and aren't capable of turning everyone into a shiny happy person.

Coward? One given individual can't possibly experience every single challenge, hardship, disability, or ailment that could befall a person. So why speak about things you have no knowledge of? If people want to value tenacity for tenacity's sake, that is their prerogative but they shouldn't act like that is a universal standard we all should go by.
i think it is a cowards way out and the choice weak willed people make. still not stopping me from doing it though.
I can't exactly "will" my disability away, can I?
I never understood why people say suicide is the cowards way out when the one thing that most people fear more than anything is death
When people say suicide is the coward"s way out they aren't referring to the physical execution of the act. They think it's cowardly because we should all just accept and deal with our perpetual agony and face our problems instead of opting out. Why? Because we just should. Even if we didn't choose to be brought here and be forced to experience this unforgiving reality often with problems that literally are tied up with our entrance in the world (congenital). It's plenty admirable if people want to persist and deal with their shit. But it's not a one-size-fit-all solution and people who spout that shit do not understand that we are all not the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 65988, sserafim and WeDontKnowTheFuture
Outsidelessness

Outsidelessness

Zero is immense
Feb 13, 2023
My thoughts about that are like my thoughts on D.A.R.E.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Pro-life people who are insulting towards those who choose to die should never be allowed to talk about suicide no matter what. People like those described in the original post are just so ignorant and clearly lacking in any awareness and compassion.

Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
People who hide behind platitudes like "Suicide is the most selfish act," or "Suicide is the coward's way out," are just responding emotionally and can't be bothered to put any amount of rational thought into the matter.

It's a polarizing topic, and people often respond only with emotion. As much as I dislike police, I don't regard them as cowards. I would think a law professor might know better, but a human's a human.

Reactions: Deleted member 65988 and sserafim
tiger b

tiger b

AI without the I
Oct 24, 2023
I think it's very unprofessional coming from the professor, definitely.

Reactions: sserafim
Seered Doom

Seered Doom

A nihilist going through an unrelinquished Hell
Sep 9, 2023
I'm at a loss for words

D

Deleted member 65988

How ridiculous of your professor to make the assertion that because we have all these "resources" to help people, still opting to ctb is the cowards way out. I'd like it for people to please stop with the constant lies that it's the cowards way out because if it were such then we'd be seeing worldwide numbers on suicide quadruple every year because coward in this context implies "easy way out" when we all know that it's far from that. People fear death more than anything and so when continuing to live becomes too hard to the point where the option to ctb is preferred then I really don't think you could be called coward in anyway for that. Opinions like this stunt the ability to have a conversation about suicide openly. Everyone has their breaking point, some more than others and we see that on this forum from time to time when we've found out that a user is no longer with us and I don't mean just their account deactivated but they are really gone which is tragic enough as it is but at the end of the day, we can't have any progressive talks about suicide even if it's in the right place for teachers/lecturers to address it to students because of things said like this, it's negative and not constructive whatsoever.

I've seen comments from people even state that suicide is for losers, which again, demonstrates the general attitude towards suicide in society, it's insensitive and cold in reaction to where people who do want to talk about it will not be given the time to do so. If our "resources" were actually working then we'd be seeing a significant drop in suicides, not an increase because maybe some realize that this world is a crappy place where wars, disease, powerful and influential narcissistic scumbags in government don't care for the common man so long as they pay their taxes like a good little compliant slaves in a system is just not worth the trouble to go through the effort of seeing it through till the end which is death by old age I suppose and I personally wouldn't blame them myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: sserafim
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
Suicide is the brave person's way out. The coward's way out is knowing it's best to end your life due to unbearable suffering which will only get worse, but being too scared to do it.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Suicide is the brave person's way out. The coward's way out is knowing it's best to end your life due to unbearable suffering which will only get worse, but being too scared to do it.

Endng own lfe = mst frghtnng thng ft mny ppl t/ d/

= undrstndble t/ b 2 frghtnd t/ fllw thru & imo tht = ok

Am nt sre = helpfl t/ cll ppl on eithr sde cowrds bcse th/ whle stuatn = an ovrwhlmng 1 fr mny

ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I agree and I'll admit that I'm actually a coward

Reactions: Meditation guide