Anonymoususer1234

Anonymoususer1234

Experienced
Apr 13, 2023
I feel like not talking to other people makes me become more selfish and self absorbed. I only really think about myself because I only really spend time with myself. I don't do things for others because I don't have any others I could do things for.

I think being alone all the time brings with it selfishness as a side effect. I'm not saying that it's justified or that we should be selfish or whatever but I feel like there's a connection between being alone and behaving selfishly.

Has anybody else foud this true in their personal lives?

• Love
Reactions: Pluto, Adûnâi, CasTheFriendlyGhost and 1 other person
AInilam

AInilam

Student
Dec 17, 2023
No, if people wanted to reach out to talk or help, they could have. Nothing's stopping them. I guess in my case it's too little too late.

The word ''selfish'' gets thrown around here a lot I've noticed (especially today, weirdly enough) and it's kind of a sore spot. I always felt like a burden, I never asked for much, always tried to make myself small, was too shy to speak up--even if I were hurt or sick. Funnily enough, the moment I started speaking up, forming my own opinions and actually caring about my own happiness and peace of mind is when the world started to bear it's fangs. It's frustrating, that in a society that demands so much and gives so little back in return, that people still consider it selfish for wanting to exist without wanting to be fed off of.

I wish people would stop and think for a moment when they bring up this topic. I know of people who constantly work themselves to death, risking their lives to save others--and STILL have to struggle to get by everyday. They get nothing in return but a pat on the back. I watch them get the soul sucked out of them with every passing day till their reduced to nothing but a shell of their former selves, zombies. We were all dragged into this world kicking and screaming, and once we reach a certain age we get it ingrained in us that we have to give something back for this ''gift'' called life. It's bullshit. I'd rather be ''selfish'' and happy for a short while than a miserable, lifeless husk for the rest of my life.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Adûnâi and NowhereCabin
Krokodile

Krokodile

Nov 18, 2023
I am more selfish than I used to be, and I spend all my time alone, no friends, family, relatives, aquintances, anything. I used to see a psychologist on long intervals but that has also stopped.

Whether my increasing selfishness is related to being always alone I have no idea, but my experience does fit your theory.

• Love
Reactions: Adûnâi
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes- this is absolutely me. I'm not entirely selfish. I do still care about other people but I don't do anywhere near enough for them. I try to excuse myself from this saying- other people abandoned me first and my self imposed isolation is a defense mechanism to not be let down by people in future. Still, it's not a great quality.

• Love
SecretDissociation

SecretDissociation

Suicide enthusiast
Sep 11, 2022
I haven't found this true. Maybe because my whole life I've always been asked to do things and used? Or because I have a knack for caring for others (I wish to be a teacher). I have no friends but whoever I talk to I still think about being kind to them or just being human with them. Sometimes I don't talk to anyone for weeks and I do have some rage in my heart but its for myself. E.g Why can't I be outgoing? Why do I feel so down? I want to kill myself, etc.

I think instead, when being alone I think more about other people who are also lonely. I don't see myself growing self-absorbent.

• Love
Slow_Farewell

Slow_Farewell

Warlock
Dec 19, 2023
It's an interesting theory, for sure. For some people, like me, not talking to people is a direct result of trying to talk to people and just getting frustrated with them. My actions of not talking can then be construed as "selfish" (and it has happened), when in fact it's to preserve what little patience and sanity I have left.
It's like a case of someone steals bread because they are hungry. in this case they actually tried every legal, correct thing that society tells them to do but for some reason, they still weren't able to obtain funds to eat. in their eyes, they need to eat. but in society's, they should be arrested.

• Love
Reactions: Nofuture1234 and Adûnâi
Blackpepperpancake

Blackpepperpancake

Help me to breathe
Nov 22, 2023
Existing alone is selfish, but this word often use when someone wants something from other people, or when someone does not respond the way they want, I no longer care if someone called me selfish anymore. People are selfish creature in some aspects.

Reminds me when my mother asked me if I wanted to marry and have kids, my instant reply was Hell No, you can guess my mother's reaction 💀💀💀

• Love
Adûnâi

Adûnâi

Little Russian in-cel
Apr 25, 2020
I'd say, it's the opposite for me. I desperately want to feel useful to any cause or any worthy human. Loneliness begets simpery.

Even more, otherwise, I feel like a pig bred for the slaughter.