WhatIsMyPurpose

WhatIsMyPurpose

Nov 19, 2020
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I've been lurking on these forums for a few months and decided to finally make an account. Not gonna lie, I'm fairly buzzed right now and thought I'd share something on my mind as an introduction of sorts. I am pretty quiet both on and off the internet, so it usually takes a couple drinks to get my thoughts on paper.

I think what attracted me to this forum in particular is not only your guys' kindness and authenticity, but particularly the fact that people discuss CTB and their emotions about the subject without a filter. Most of the time on the internet whenever CTB comes up, the kneejerk reaction is to just post hotline phone numbers. Although I appreciate the gesture, it gets tiring when that's all you see; and sadly, I can't help but think it's disingenuous when people just post hotlines. It kinda feels like the regular people out there don't really understand what we're going through.

I was thinking about this commonly used quote today: "[CTB] is a permanent solution to a temporary problem." Well, that argument doesn't really make any sense when your life is a continuum of overlapping temporary problems! My thinking is like "why not just end the cycle of problems with CTB?"

My entire life has been a series of temporary problems and yearning for the greener grass on the other side. Then, regardless of whether or not I get there, more problems come up, and often times they're worse than the ones I had before. It feels like I'm not really cut out for what life has in store for us.

Anyway. Good to be here.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Pen>Sword, it's_all_a_game, SuicideAwaits and 16 others
Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
The whole "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem" shtick is based on a big assumption. These people don't know shit about me or my problems. They act as if this saying is applicable to someone terminally ill as it is about some emo teenager.

Reactions: Pen>Sword, it's_all_a_game, Metalhead and 12 others
_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
"Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem"

Ah yes. A quote among many quotes that sound so condescending and invalidating.
Bravo to anyone who says this, you just used a popular way to make the suicidal feel even sh*ttier about their lives!

In other news, welcome to one of hell's pitstops, OP. (Seriously though, I love the people here)

Reactions: Metalhead, TheLostCause, Lostandlooking and 7 others
PointlessStruggle

PointlessStruggle

Wretch
Oct 28, 2020
The whole "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem" shtick is based on a big assumption. These people don't know shit about me or my problems. They act as if this saying is applicable to someone terminally ill as it is about some emo teenager.
Yeah the people like this just come off as patronizing to me

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Metalhead, DivineMedicus and 4 others
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
You can tell that anyone who genuinely says that quote has no idea what they're talking about. Don't respect them at all.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Metalhead, Lostandlooking and 7 others
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I definitely don't believe that suicide is always a permanent solution to a "temporary" problem. In my personal situation, my problems fall far beyond the realm of temporary. I was abused and neglected from the young age of 6, causing my personality to fragment into different pieces and my young brain to not develop as it should have had I not experienced trauma during my formative years.

Abuse in childhood can and does rewire the brain in extremely negative ways and sets a person up for an increased risk of mental illness plus a wide array of physical health problems in adulthood. By my teenage years, I'd been diagnosed with depression and anxiety with OCD. I know many other members on here suffer similar fates.

Before then, at age 11, I was self harming and talking about suicide. Years later as an adult, I'm in therapy now for PTSD on top of the other mental illnesses I've had to endure. Don't even get me started on my autism and how it shapes every aspect of my life as well.

My problems are certainly not temporary- I've suffered continuously for 17 years; I see no reason to believe that my symptoms and pain will magically dissipate with the passage of time.

Sadly, some problems are not temporary, despite what pro-life rhetoric tries to condition us to believe. Even my therapist says that my flashbacks, self-fragmentation, self-worth issues, and negative trauma-based thought processes will never fully vanish; they've morphed into a permanent fixture of my psyche. In other words, permanent damage. Such is the case for some people.

Now, permanent damage doesn't negate the possibility of profound growth and transformation, of course. But, the prospect of continuing to walk a path of immense suffering and anguish for the possibility of learning to "cope" with the damage and pain may not seem worth the hassle to a lot of people. It certainly doesn't feel worthwhile to me most of the time. Hearing my problems written off as "temporary" frustrates me to no end.

I know this drifted into a long rant, but I have a lot of thoughts on this topic :)) :)) Thanks for opening up this dialogue

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, SuicideAwaits, Metalhead and 9 others
NodusTollens

NodusTollens

Nov 17, 2020
My entire life has been a series of temporary problems and yearning for the greener grass on the other side. Then, regardless of whether or not I get there, more problems come up, and often times they're worse than the ones I had before. It feels like I'm not really cut out for what life has in store for us.

Welcome, we're a lovely band of misfits here.:ahhha:

I share your sentiment about feeling like you're not cut out for this life. Things just keep getting harder & harder, it's exhausting.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Metalhead, Weary Soul and 5 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
My problem is permanent, so a permanent solution seems logical.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, SuicideAwaits, chrisbate7 and 13 others
StringPuppet

StringPuppet

Lost
Oct 5, 2020
I tend to like permanent solutions and dislike temporary problems so pro-lifers aren't helping when they say that , at least not in the way they think they are

Reactions: SuicideAwaits, Metalhead, Lostandlooking and 2 others
color_me_gone

color_me_gone

Sun is rising
Dec 27, 2018
You will not find a nicer group of people anywhere else in the internet.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, SuicideAwaits, Metalhead and 4 others
Aeathelina

Aeathelina

Little Homeless Girl
Feb 5, 2020
It irks me because the issues that are pushing me to suicide aren't temporary unless I hit the fucking lotto or get a sugar daddy. Some issues are too much and not everyone is strong enough to overcome them or have access to proper resources.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Metalhead, Lostandlooking and 4 others
I

I want to end it

Arcanist
Apr 29, 2018
Permanent solutions are needed for temporary problems, otherwise the problems keep resurfacing and end up becoming permanent problems.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Metalhead, Lostandlooking and 1 other person
FatalSystemError591

FatalSystemError591

{He/They}
Oct 12, 2020
20201113 071234 someone said this in another thread, I cropped it to send it to someone outside of this forum so I didn't include where it was from.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, SuicideAwaits, color_me_gone and 5 others
illbeinthegarage

illbeinthegarage

funs fun but who needs it
Jun 14, 2020
hello fellow rick and morty related user

Deleted member 23774

Deleted member 23774

Nov 14, 2020
I definitely don't believe that suicide is always a permanent solution to a "temporary" problem. In my personal situation, my problems fall far beyond the realm of temporary. I was abused and neglected from the young age of 6, causing my personality to fragment into different pieces and my young brain to not develop as it should have had I not experienced trauma during my formative years.

Abuse in childhood can and does rewire the brain in extremely negative ways and sets a person up for an increased risk of mental illness plus a wide array of physical health problems in adulthood. By my teenage years, I'd been diagnosed with depression and anxiety with OCD. I know many other members on here suffer similar fates.

Before then, at age 11, I was self harming and talking about suicide. Years later as an adult, I'm in therapy now for PTSD on top of the other mental illnesses I've had to endure. Don't even get me started on my autism and how it shapes every aspect of my life as well.

My problems are certainly not temporary- I've suffered continuously for 17 years; I see no reason to believe that my symptoms and pain will magically dissipate with the passage of time.

Sadly, some problems are not temporary, despite what pro-life rhetoric tries to condition us to believe. Even my therapist says that my flashbacks, self-fragmentation, self-worth issues, and negative trauma-based thought processes will never fully vanish; they've morphed into a permanent fixture of my psyche. In other words, permanent damage. Such is the case for some people.

Now, permanent damage doesn't negate the possibility of profound growth and transformation, of course. But, the prospect of continuing to walk a path of immense suffering and anguish for the possibility of learning to "cope" with the damage and pain may not seem worth the hassle to a lot of people. It certainly doesn't feel worthwhile to me most of the time. Hearing my problems written off as "temporary" frustrates me to no end.

I know this drifted into a long rant, but I have a lot of thoughts on this topic :)) :)) Thanks for opening up this dialogue
What you said totally resonates with me. I've been through my own personal hell since childhood.

• Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Metalhead and muffin222
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
What you said totally resonates with me. I've been through my own personal hell since childhood.

I'm so sorry. No child deserves to be mistreated, neglected, and unloved to the extent that it causes this type of damage. But, it happens so often and the perpetrators go unpunished

• Aww..
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, SuicideAwaits, Metalhead and 1 other person
F

fly away

It’s enough
Oct 28, 2020
Hi, new here...have been lurking and finally got up the nerve to post. The phrase "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem" is taught to most crisis and hotline counselors in the US. As someone who has been scared, depressed and suicidal from the age of 11 (I'm now 59), I've heard that line over and over. At one point in my life, I worked as a Suicide Hotline Counselor. During training, I tried to discuss how invalidating that line is to someone desperate enough to call in, but the staff just didn't get it. If you haven't felt the hopelessness and desperation of wanting to CTB, you just can't relate. If my 48 yrs of hell is only temporary, when is it considered permanent? Needless to say, I didn't last long as a Crisis Counselor.
Just wanted to say how glad I am to have stumbled onto this site, so helpful and needed :smiling:

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, color_me_gone, FatalSystemError591 and 2 others
cytokinestorm

cytokinestorm

Apr 19, 2020
I'm 50 now and I've been suicidal since I was 14. If I'd have had the opportunity to take a painless and none frightening way out I'd have taken it long ago.

My life hasn't improved since I was 14 and I've had more than enough many times over. Has living been worth the pain? No. People who try to tell others they have to keep on living are sadistic as far as I'm concerned.

• Aww..
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, SuicideAwaits, fly away and 1 other person
CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
"Suicide is .....temporary....blah, blah."

me: "I'm cutting my losses."

It's a low effort post but I think I wrote something that might be of value last week.
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/thre...-a-temporary-problem.53554/page-3#post-977466

I'm sorry. Just burnt out.

Just for future reference.... Does this topic come up once a week or something? Can this question just be directed to an editorial or something? Thanks in advance.