GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
I've seen suicide from several angles. I had a boyfriend in high school commit suicide with no warning or warning signs. I've had friends with suicidal ideation. I myself am rationally considering suicide and have already attempted. And of course, I've been a member of this forum, for far longer than I intended or anticipated.

We often hear people say, "If only I had known, I could have done something," or we hear of (or have) parents or other loved ones who do everything to try to get the person to get help, and become hypervigilant to try to prevent a suicide attempt. In my experience as well as study, these words and actions represent a false belief that we can control others' experiences and actions, and they give us a false sense of power; in other words, it is codependence.

Several years ago, I got free of some of my own codependent patterns. I learned and internalized that I can't control others, they're going to do what they're going to do. I can have conversations with them, I can share my point of view, I can try to influence, but I can also listen, pay attention to what I'm hearing, and if I still choose to attempt to influence, it is ultimately up to them what to do with it. What they do is up to them whether I attempt to influence them or not.

This was tested when I had a friend who self-harmed and also had suicidal ideation. We would have coffee and smoke together. She would disclose her problems, her motivations for self-harm and how she did it, and her plans for suicide. We were part of the same community, and I would see how she sometimes used her self-harm as a way to communicate her displeasure with someone and to try to influence the actions of others according to her wishes. Instead of shaming her, I listened. I sometimes presented alternative perspectives, but I knew she'd had these issues and relationships long before I came along, and they were outside of my control, as we were separate, autonomous people. I was able to not get enmeshed with her issues or with her. I just listened, I showed compassion, and I always knew that if it was more than I could handle, I could make the choice to take a break from or disengage from the relationship. This was new for me, and I really enjoyed the freedom of not getting enmeshed. I enjoyed our connection that was free of my wants for her but rather gave her the space to figure out for herself what she wanted and what was best for her. She also was doing everything she could to feel better, trying different methods, seeing a therapist, even ordered a book I suggested. She didn't like the way she felt or what she was doing to cope, such as cutting and brandishing the cuts, and she valued her relationships, there simply was more than she had the resources to manage.

When she told me about her suicide plan, I listened, I asked questions when something about it didn't seem doable, and I allowed her the space to figure things out for herself. She really, genuinely appreciated my listening. There was no stress between us. I wasn't her suicide cheerleader, and it wasn't a regular topic of conversation, I was just a genuine friend. After I left the community but was still on Facebook, I found out she did ECT as a last-ditch effort, and for her, it worked (I've met others for whom it had horrific long-term effects, and in fact checked in with this friend about her choice to do it, and then in spite of my fears for her, sat back and gave her the space to decide for herself what was best). I don't know for how long, I eventually left Facebook and completely disconnected from everyone in that community, but the last I heard, she no longer had suicidal ideation and overall felt much better.

I've also known women who have been on the receiving end of domestic violence. A couple of years ago, I heard a couple in my apartment building having a fight, the woman was being aggressed against, and as I passed outside the door, the man hit the woman. The whole exchange was so charged and so violent. Normally, I would call the police, but I was stunned. We often hear about fight-or-flight, but it's actually fight, flight, or freeze, and I froze. I didn't know what to do about it. I was not my normal, assertive, know-what-to-do self. It shook me to the core. I did not call the police, and that bothered me for a long time, that there was something I could have done, and I didn't.

Then I read Boundaries, and the authors said something that really resonated with my having known other victims of severe domestic violence. The authors likened escaping it to a baby bird getting out of its shell: it's really difficult, not all have the strength to get, and not all survive it, but if someone intervenes and does it for them, they do not survive. In the same way, it's really difficult for a victim to get out of an abusive situation, but oftentimes, if someone rescues them, they will either return to the abuser or their next relationship will be abusive, continuing the cycle. It's hard to get out, and they may not make it in spite of trying, but they have to be motivated to seek and go to support, such as calling a DV hotline, making plans to escape, going to a shelter or to a friend, etc. Many people who experience domestic violence will not cooperate with police, will not press charges, will drop charges, or for various reasons will continue with the abuser once they return from having been detained. I realized that if I called the police after what I witnessed, there is a good chance it may not have made a difference, or made things worse. As often happens, even if the man had been arrested, he could have come back and become even worse, perhaps killing her. It happens quite often. She needed to seek intervention herself, and seek the means to get out of the situation for herself. Unless she empowered herself to take action on her own behalf and opened doors for herself like the baby bird opening a hole in its shell, odds are she'd not succeed in getting free. This isn't mental gymnastics on my part to feel better, the whole thing still feels like shit, but this also makes sense. As violent as he was, he might have gotten worse if I'd attempted to influence the situation.

I believe it is the same with someone who needs to heal. I see with my own parents that they are not capable of facing what happened to them in childhood, and they are not capable of admitting the emotional and physical violence perpetrated against me growing up. I tried to tell them, to show them, and to help our family heal, but they did not seek healing themselves, let alone pursue it. Many people here on the forum seek and pursue healing but still do not attain it, and I had a close friend who experienced the same and it was heartbreaking. Many here don't want to seek or pursue it and that is their choice and their right, regardless of how I or anyone else feels about it. With regard to my parents, I learned what one therapist calls the three C's for staying out of codependence: I didn't cause it, I can't control it, and I can't cure it. I intuitively used this with my friend who self-harmed and had suicidal ideation and a plan. I use it on the forum. And I remember the baby bird analogy. None of this is easy, and it takes effort for me to hold back and not seek to impose my will and wants, but it's rational.

What is irrational is thinking I can cure or control another's situation, or them. To think otherwise is crazy-making, and I think the loved ones of those who experience suicidality make themselves and the one they love crazy by trying to enforce a cure and by trying to control. That's codependence, not love. Love is accepting. Sometimes acceptance means detaching from the person if one can't manage their issues. Self-acceptance and self-love are just as important, otherwise one doesn't have sufficent inner resources to accept, love, and support another.

As an afterthought, for anyone reading this who is having a difficult time with a loved one's mental health challenges, with their suicidality, or with their suicide that's already occurred, I want you to know that you have my compassion. I can't make things better, but maybe in reading this, you found tools that can help you stop the crazy-making cycles of non-acceptance so that you can better manage what is beyond your control. If you think you may have caused the other person's issues, I hope you'll seek and pursue help for yourself to get free of patterns of other-control, including violence and oppression, without leaning on that person for support. If you think you caused it but were not abusive, controlling, violent, or oppressive, then I hope you can find support for codependency so that you do not carry a burden that isn't yours. I sincerely wish for your well-being and freedom from suffering. Would that I had the power to bring that to every human. The best I can do is share these tools: the analogy of the baby bird breaking free of its shell, and the three C's.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: CrescendoChiller, Ulisses, I screwed up and 4 others
glittergore

glittergore

the sea, the sea
Jun 16, 2020
This made me think of the concept of codependency in a more nuanced way. From this perspective, codependency is so pervasive in human relationships that it's accepted. You're right, though; it's unhealthy for both parties involved. I will definitely have to keep this in mind moving forward so I can cultivate better relationships.

• Love
Reactions: GoodPersonEffed
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
This made me think of the concept of codependency in a more nuanced way. From this perspective, codependency is so pervasive in human relationships that it's accepted. You're right, though; it's unhealthy for both parties involved. I will definitely have to keep this in mind moving forward so I can cultivate better relationships.

I think if everyone in the world knew how to recognize and respect boundaries and autonomy/separateness, and were motivated to do so, a huge portion of human problems would be solved.

Reactions: glittergore
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
if everyone in the world knew how to recognize and respect boundaries and autonomy/separateness

I don't know that this could ever be achieved because of how humans are wired.
Humans naturally try to invade and capture others' spaces, if not physically then psychologically and volitionally.
Diminishing the viewpoints and experiences and desires of the other so that the self/ego can capture more of the mental space left behind. It's about power, although most of the time there isn't any intentional malevolence involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
feast or famine

feast or famine

Tell Patient Zero he can have his rib back.
Jun 15, 2020
Then I read Boundaries, and the authors said something that really resonated with my having known other victims of severe domestic violence. The authors likened escaping it to a baby bird getting out of its shell: it's really difficult, not all have the strength to get, and not all survive it, but if someone intervenes and does it for them, they do not survive. In the same way, it's really difficult for a victim to get out of an abusive situation, but oftentimes, if someone rescues them, they will either return to the abuser or their next relationship will be abusive, continuing the cycle. It's hard to get out, and they may not make it in spite of trying, but they have to be motivated to seek and go to support, such as calling a DV hotline, making plans to escape, going to a shelter or to a friend, etc. Many people who experience domestic violence will not cooperate with police, will not press charges, will drop charges, or for various reasons will continue with the abuser once they return from having been detained. I realized that if I called the police after what I witnessed, there is a good chance it may not have made a difference, or made things worse. As often happens, even if the man had been arrested, he could have come back and become even worse, perhaps killing her. It happens quite often. She needed to seek intervention herself, and seek the means to get out of the situation for herself. Unless she empowered herself to take action on her own behalf and opened doors for herself like the baby bird opening a hole in its shell, odds are she'd not succeed in getting free. This isn't mental gymnastics on my part to feel better, the whole thing still feels like shit, but this also makes sense. As violent as he was, he might have gotten worse if I'd attempted to influence the situation.
This really resonated with me for a lot of reasons. I was in an abusive relationship with a narcissistic sociopath, and boy did my loved ones try their damnedest to get me out of that relationship. It was never any help. They acted out of love and I understood that then and I do now.

Abusive relationships are so nuanced (technically all relationships are in their own respective ways, but I think abusive relationships have a whole other layer of complexity), and the danger that can arise from someone leaving a relationship like that isn't easily understood by those who don't have some sort of understanding of such relationships or have never been in one themselves. Victims (or survivors, rather), oftentimes try to leave the relationship with their abuser several times before it's successful. That was definitely the case for me. I mean, this guy was literally threatening my life and I knew my life was in danger, but even so, I needed to be the one ready to leave and finally make a commitment to that. I eventually did and to be honest, I'm still healing big time.

History has a way of repeating itself and I do not have the capacity to ever be in a relationship similar to that one, if I even stick around here anyways. Even with the growth and healing I've done since then, I do not trust myself completely to not get caught up in a similar cycle which is why I try to utilize whatever resources available to keep me from ending up in such a dark abyss again. I am still currently in a dark abyss, but I guess my abusive ex is a lot less a part of that now, which I think is a good thing?

In any case, I'll have to look up Boundaries, although I don't quite know if that's written for those trapped in an abusive relationship, or those trying to help someone in an abusive relationship, or both? Thanks for the late night content, at least in my part of the world.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
@Whatajoke, thank you for sharing! I really appreciate it, and I'm so sorry that you went through all that and that you currently are in a dark place.

Boundaries is an all-around great book for helping one build and enforce their own boundaries. The authors don't give good advice about DV, don't even address narcissism, sociopathy, etc. I highly recommend the book In Sheep's Clothing, it goes well with a particular part of Boundaries, ways that people resist boundaries. Also, it will be more helpful for your particular situation.

Boundaries is a Christian book, but you can ignore the Christian stuff if that's not your thing, it's not mine, and the book is popular among non-Christians, it's got a lot of solid stuff in there.

In Sheep's Clothing is great, but if you're aware of covert manipulation, you might notice that the author himself has some manipulative traits. I watched him in a youtube interview with a woman named Meredith (Miller?) who does videos on narcissism and he pulled some subtle stuff on her. So it's interesting that the book has all this really great stuff on manipulation, yet what it taught me, combined with past experience with manipulators, helped me to recognize the author's crap, too! :pfff:

Wishing you the best for your continued healing!

• Love
Reactions: feast or famine
feast or famine

feast or famine

Tell Patient Zero he can have his rib back.
Jun 15, 2020
@Whatajoke, thank you for sharing! I really appreciate it, and I'm so sorry that you went through all that and that you currently are in a dark place.

Boundaries is an all-around great book for helping one build and enforce their own boundaries. The authors don't give good advice about DV, don't even address narcissism, sociopathy, etc. I highly recommend the book In Sheep's Clothing, it goes well with a particular part of Boundaries, ways that people resist boundaries. Also, it will be more helpful for your particular situation.

Boundaries is a Christian book, but you can ignore the Christian stuff if that's not your thing, it's not mine, and the book is popular among non-Christians, it's got a lot of solid stuff in there.

In Sheep's Clothing is great, but if you're aware of covert manipulation, you might notice that the author himself has some manipulative traits. I watched him in a youtube interview with a woman named Meredith (Miller?) who does videos on narcissism and he pulled some subtle stuff on her. So it's interesting that the book has all this really great stuff on manipulation, yet what it taught me, combined with past experience with manipulators, helped me to recognize the author's crap, too! :pfff:

Wishing you the best for your continued healing!
Boundaries sounds like it would be a good read and could provide a lot of useful insight. I'm not religious myself, but as long as there's not an overwhelming religious theme (which it sounds like there isn't), I can ignore that aspect of the book and give it a shot. I'll also have to put In Sheep's Clothing on my list. I've learned to sniff out those covert manipulators from a mile away, or maybe I'm just kidding myself. My ex was a covert narc and the manipulation tactics and skills he used was truly next level in a very insidious way. Why am I not surprised that the author of this book would have manipulative traits himself :pfff:. Who better to learn from, in all honesty.

And thank you for your kind words, I really appreciate that. Sometimes I feel like even our worst battles in life are trying to teach us something about ourselves, no matter the horror of them, but then I think, no...certain situations in life are just unfortunate and there's no philosophical/cryptic reason for why this is happening to me other than the universe bi*ch slapping me and reminding me who's in charge :pfff:. I have to look at this through a lens of humor, if nothing else! Thanks again for your kind words and book recommendations. Peace and love to you!

• Love
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
There is an extremely nice movie, whose name I don't remember. It is about a vegan whore killing her baby of starvation and having emotional incest with it and the police and courts supporting her. Anyways, the father is a fucking wimp obviously, he is not a man or human for breeding with that thing and going yes honey. The mother-in-law, however, is a sensible woman though her son's dick turned out not to work properly. She goes and kills that emotional incest, murdering vegan whore.

Why did I mention this? Because if that little boy had been left to grow up with his mama, and survived somehow with his puny, defective brain and emotional incest, he would never be a human being. He could possibly lure in, use, discard girls at mama's behest. And then everybody would be like 'oh but he cannot break out of mama's cunthole, but it is his choice and freedom :/ We can do nothing about it :/'

Granny did something about it, and it worked. She fuckling put a bullet in that whore's head. Baby is free and can eat other things than mama's cunt. Yay.
WTF?

Reactions: feast or famine and GoodPersonEffed
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019

I see, you want smurfy language: Mother-in-law killed abusive daughter-in-law and saved her grandson from abuse. That is how we can save people from abuse.

Not that anybody would, it is much nicer to eat kale, shit green and shit out of all holes at the same time and luuuuurrrvvvv everything, especially the abuser's asshole.

E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I see, you want smurfy language: Mother-in-law killed abusive daughter-in-law and saved her grandson from abuse. That is how we can save people from abuse.

Not that anybody would, it is much nicer to eat kale, shit green and shit out of all holes at the same time and luuuuurrrvvvv everything, especially the abuser's asshole.
Yes, I understood the message of the film, which you were trying to put across with the flowery metaphors.
Which seems to be...kill that which poses a problem to you?
I'm still recovering from the use of language and images. I wasn't expecting to read the marquis de sade all of a sudden.
A bit out of the blue after reading the OP's carefully worded post.
Funny I guess, in an ironic, sardonic, cynical kind of way. But horrific and disturbing.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: feast or famine, GoodPersonEffed, woxihuanni and 1 other person
Abgrundanziehung

Abgrundanziehung

or Abi for short
Jun 24, 2020
There is an extremely nice movie, whose name I don't remember. It is about a vegan whore killing her baby of starvation and having emotional incest with it and the police and courts supporting her. Anyways, the father is a fucking wimp obviously, he is not a man or human for breeding with that thing and going yes honey. The mother-in-law, however, is a sensible woman though her son's dick turned out not to work properly. She goes and kills that emotional incest, murdering vegan whore.

Why did I mention this? Because if that little boy had been left to grow up with his mama, and survived somehow with his puny, defective brain and emotional incest, he would never be a human being. He could possibly lure in, use, discard girls at mama's behest. And then everybody would be like 'oh but he cannot break out of mama's cunthole, but it is his choice and freedom :/ We can do nothing about it :/'

Granny did something about it, and it worked. She fuckling put a bullet in that whore's head. Baby is free and can eat other things than mama's cunt. Yay.
Hungry Hearts?

Reactions: woxihuanni
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
Hungry Hearts?

Yess! Thank you
Yes, I understood the message of the film, which you were trying to put across with the flowery metaphors.
Which seems to be...kill that which poses a problem to you?
I'm still recovering from the use of language and images. I wasn't expecting to read the marquis de sade all of a sudden.
A bit out of the blue after reading the OP's carefully worded post.
Funny I guess, in an ironic, sardonic, cynical kind of way. But horrific and disturbing.

If 'the problem they pose to you'' is that they are murdering someone, yes then we should murder them instead. I know it's not very buddhist, buddhist is when you go 'thank you for murdering me'. Oh, and sorry for the shock and disturbation. I am very disturbed because I have to die as opposed to suicidal.

Reactions: Abgrundanziehung
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
I am very disturbed because I have to die as opposed to suicidal.
What do you mean?
Why do you have to die?
"Hungry Hearts?"
"Yess! Thank you "

lol. I was expecting it to be some B-movie trash horror exploitation film.

Last edited:
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
What do you mean?
Why do you have to die?

"Yess! Thank you "

lol. I was expecting it to be some B-movie trash horror exploitation film.

Because somebody robbed me of everything and is pressuring me to die sooner than later. They did this because their owner told them to.

Yeah bit of a personal touch there :tongue: When you don't mince words, life reveals itself to be a trash horror exploitation film in general.

Reactions: esse_est_percipi
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Hey, don't be sad for me, I didn't mean to depress you. You are a very kind person :hug:
It just sounds like a terrible thing has been done to you. hugs.

• Hugs
Reactions: woxihuanni