bunintherug

bunintherug

husk of a girl
Jan 1, 2024
I've seen people say that you should never ctb on impulse, but i've never seen any thoughts in the other direction. Does anyone disagree with that?

I have DID, and while some of us are completely fine with ctbing, some of us aren't. However, I have BPD aswell, and during BPD episodes we all agree about it, but thus far restrain because we know we'll change our mind later. However, I know I'll still feel the same way again, probably within the next 12 hours, every time. I feel like it wouldn't be the worst to make a plan that I can set into motion when the impulse comes up during an episode. That's how I've done all my attempts in the past, except I didn't have a plan ready beforehand so I only OD'd and my family found me so it didn't work.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Redacted24, Forever Sleep and LoiteringClouds
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I wonder just how many people do suicide on impulse though. I find it unlikely many people have ideation for the first time and immediately commit. I reckon most have at least toyed with it in their mind- probably quite a bit before doing it. So- is it really impulsive? That person has already made the decision they are comfortable with the idea of suicide. It's just, they didn't act on it in that moment.

Anyone on here has bothered to make an account- probably to research methods I imagine and is now having discussions around the subject- so again- what makes something impulsive? To me- it suggests doing something without thinking about it too much.

As for the method though- that could well be impulsive. Personally- it's not something I would want to do impulsively but that's because my method would likely be SN and that takes preparation for best results. Plus, I want to get my affairs in order.

I can understand why people feel they may need to end up doing it impulsively to get over SI though. Still- many methods require preparation and planning so- again- I'd say they weren't truly impulsive.

In your circumstances, I can see why you'd maybe need to act quickly before an alter changes matters. I couldn't say whether that was good or bad really. I think we all have to decide on what we really want for ourselves. Some people can be of two minds about doing it with even a single core personality. A part of us can still be toying with hope. I guess it's something we all have to decide for ourselves ultimately. Sorry- I don't think that helped!

Reactions: bunintherug and Deleted member 65988
R

Redacted24

Might be Richard Cory... or not
Nov 20, 2023
The impulsive attempt is, I think, more prone to not succeed so whatever method you'd want to have handy should be reliable.
Weigh against the potential for survival in a less capable condition carefully.
Just my thought.

Reactions: bunintherug
tarococo

tarococo

professional procrastinator
Nov 27, 2023
My method is SN, so I couldn't act on impulse even if I wanted to without risking that something goes wrong (especially considering that I'd have to fast for at least 8 hours)
Since my SI made me fail my last attempt I find myself wishing I could just down the SN without all that preparation, but in general ctb on impulse is often prone to go wrong.
And I don't like the idea of making a decision this final while not being in a clear mindset (even tho you probably thought about it for quite a while when you already reached that point of having collected all your resources ect, just planning things is one thing. Actually leaving is a whole different story.)

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
I'm starting to think on impulse is probably the only way really.

Many of say we want to CTB but spend ages planning and preparing.

The real CTBs are generally someone has just used the suspension method and their gone.

I'm really starting to think and realise it's the SI that's the real problem, not any particular method.

dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
To me the best option is to have a plan ready and then wait for an impulse.
Of course, easier said than done but that way you're avoiding SI and bigger risk of failure.

bunintherug

bunintherug

husk of a girl
Jan 1, 2024
I've seen people say that you should never ctb on impulse, but i've never seen any thoughts in the other direction. Does anyone disagree with that?

I have DID, and while some of us are completely fine with ctbing, some of us aren't. However, I have BPD aswell, and during BPD episodes we all agree about it, but thus far restrain because we know we'll change our mind later. However, I know I'll still feel the same way again, probably within the next 12 hours, every time. I feel like it wouldn't be the worst to make a plan that I can set into motion when the impulse comes up during an episode. That's how I've done all my attempts in the past, except I didn't have a plan ready beforehand so I only OD'd and my family found me so it didn't work.
i want to clarify, when i talk about "impulse" by the way, I mean the actual doing, because of my specific disorders. i plan to jump off an overpass near my house, so if i had a bpd episode and then drank a bit, it'd be easy to ctb. i'd get all my other planning done, get my phone clear of whatever i need to, and then just wait for an episode, because especially lately i've been having a lot of episodes. so it wouldn't be too long that i'd have to go without what i don't want to be around after i ctb.
I wonder just how many people do suicide on impulse though. I find it unlikely many people have ideation for the first time and immediately commit. I reckon most have at least toyed with it in their mind- probably quite a bit before doing it. So- is it really impulsive? That person has already made the decision they are comfortable with the idea of suicide. It's just, they didn't act on it in that moment.

Anyone on here has bothered to make an account- probably to research methods I imagine and is now having discussions around the subject- so again- what makes something impulsive? To me- it suggests doing something without thinking about it too much.

As for the method though- that could well be impulsive. Personally- it's not something I would want to do impulsively but that's because my method would likely be SN and that takes preparation for best results. Plus, I want to get my affairs in order.

I can understand why people feel they may need to end up doing it impulsively to get over SI though. Still- many methods require preparation and planning so- again- I'd say they weren't truly impulsive.

In your circumstances, I can see why you'd maybe need to act quickly before an alter changes matters. I couldn't say whether that was good or bad really. I think we all have to decide on what we really want for ourselves. Some people can be of two minds about doing it with even a single core personality. A part of us can still be toying with hope. I guess it's something we all have to decide for ourselves ultimately. Sorry- I don't think that helped!
for us it's mostly just fomo, honestly. i've been in the mental health system since i was 11, so my whole life i've just been told to look forward to things. but i'm not even looking forward to them, i know i'm gonna be in pain the whole time, but i still don't want to miss them sometimes. i hate it

Last edited: