I

IcyBat

Sep 24, 2020
Doesn't even have to be inmates on SW, I've also heard a story about a guy who saved on some liquid (some sort of cleaning stuff / acid) for 2 years (!!!). According to the story, he did commit suicide successfully then.

I wonder if the people who decide that prison inmates can't commit suicide or the guards who watch them on SW ever regret doing that or think about the suffering it's inducing.

I'm pretty low atm, because I realized that hanging myself is way more difficult than I thought, but still the thought of prison inmates on SW is one of the cruelest things I can imagine.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Life is pointless, nerve, Meditation guide and 7 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
Should just let them suicide. I would suicide if confined like that, but yeah SW in prison or anywhere is torture.

Reactions: Life is pointless, Meditation guide, Stick and 5 others
I

IcyBat

Sep 24, 2020
Yesterday I was thinking about the possible combination of forced feeding and fixed bed. Can't even try starving to death then anymore.

Why are people so stupid (those who administer suicide watch)? They could end up in this situation themselves.

The devil is laughing, humans are creating hell without any need to assist.

Reactions: Life is pointless, AJ., Broken Chimera and 6 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
That's what makes the mental health system so terrifying, and why a lot of us refuse to seek help.

Reactions: Life is pointless, whywere, AJ. and 4 others
I

IcyBat

Sep 24, 2020
Wdym? The "professional help", people tell me to seek, doesn't help? /s

• Love
Reactions: JGT1 and demuic
Lilacmoon

Lilacmoon

Beautiful moon, take me away.
Sep 23, 2020
Was in a ward once. Never again.

• Hugs
Reactions: Life is pointless, ghostspace, Ghost2211 and 1 other person
I

IcyBat

Sep 24, 2020
Was in a ward once. Never again.
Last time I was in a ward I luckily got out after 1 night. I had extreme anger inside of me when I was there, thought about killing the people who work there.

I've also been not so lucky before and spend one month in a closed ward...

Somehow there is hope that they could hit a lucky shot with the right medication for me, but I think that is just an illusion.

• Love
Reactions: Lilacmoon
O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
You can make an argument that if you allow suicide in prison, it means that one can just go on a murder spree, get taken in then kill themselves so they don't have to experience justice or consequences for the action. The whole point of prison is a deterrent because the experience is so horrible. If you just say "you are free to commit any horrible deed you wish, then you can leave after you get to prison" it's pretty much just anarchy and anyone can do anything they want to.

At the same time, there are people who, I don't know, had 15g of marijuana and got five years in prison. I can understand how unfair and how painful that would be, all because you just wanted to do something that could cause consensual harm to yourself. There are also absolutely people in prison who have not committed a crime and a prosecutor had enough shoddy evidence to convince the judge of a lie... i cannot imagine how hard that would be. I would not want to take away the only escape for those who have been wrongfully convicted.

As with everything in our world, everything is f***** up and hurts innocents because you always have to account for evil people who might take advantage of any generous or compassionate policy.

Reactions: Caspers and Stick
Stick

Stick

Experienced
Aug 31, 2020
You can make an argument that if you allow suicide in prison, it means that one can just go on a murder spree, get taken in then kill themselves so they don't have to experience justice or consequences for the action. The whole point of prison is a deterrent because the experience is so horrible. If you just say "you are free to commit any horrible deed you wish, then you can leave after you get to prison" it's pretty much just anarchy and anyone can do anything they want to.

At the same time, there are people who, I don't know, had 15g of marijuana and got five years in prison. I can understand how unfair and how painful that would be, all because you just wanted to do something that could cause consensual harm to yourself. There are also absolutely people in prison who have not committed a crime and a prosecutor had enough shoddy evidence to convince the judge of a lie... i cannot imagine how hard that would be. I would not want to take away the only escape for those who have been wrongfully convicted.

As with everything in our world, everything is f***** up and hurts innocents because you always have to account for evil people who might take advantage of any generous or compassionate policy.
I was in full agreement with the OP in that SW for inmates was always bad, thinking that they are already removed from society why not let them just die instead of be punished, but I didn't think about the preventative side of prison.
I feel like, in an ideal world, SW would only be for heinous crimes that we absolutely do not want people to commit, like murder, in order to make sure they live out a punishment. I agree with you in that for lesser crimes, though, ctb should be an option.

Reactions: ophiastri
O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
I was in full agreement with the OP in that SW for inmates was always bad, thinking that they are already removed from society why not let them just die instead of be punished, but I didn't think about the preventative side of prison.
I feel like, in an ideal world, SW would only be for heinous crimes that we absolutely do not want people to commit, like murder, in order to make sure they live out a punishment. I agree with you in that for lesser crimes, though, ctb should be an option.

One thing that comes to mind is the case of Jeffrey Epstein. I don't know in his mind if he had planned to end himself if he got caught, but either way it seems as though he wasn't afraid enough of jail to not do the horrible things he did. If there was an adamant policy in all prisons with enough enforcement where no one ever is able to carry it out, perhaps Epstein would not have destroyed the lives of so many girls.

Despite my argument in my other post, prison still barely seems to be a deterrent for people (I don't know all the statistics or studies though). Criminals know, or at least should have enough of a brain to know, that there's an extremely high chance of them going to prison in which they could be raped, beaten, or abused by guards. People STILL commit crimes with that risk present and the vast majority never go through with attempting suicide, so the argument could be made that whether suicide can happen or not it may not even affect the rates of crime. If it won't change anything, perhaps it might be more moral to just lessen the human suffering if the outcome is inevitably the same no matter what.

Reactions: IcyBat and Stick
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
People STILL commit crimes with that risk present
He was another super billionaire who got away with everything his entire life and I'm sure it never occurred to him that he would ever get in any trouble. After all those young girls wouldn't tell and if they did they would be ignore. Take if from me, they would definitely be ignored by everyone if they told. I had something happen at that age and was told it was my own fault for being there where it happened.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: ophiastri and whywere