Oct 24, 2021

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: LionsTigersAndBears, patheticpartner, ReallyTired and 9 others
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
Thank you for sharing. Sounds soothing and dark.

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner, motyxia and Wojaczek
deflationary

deflationary

Fussy exister. Living in the epilogue
Mar 11, 2020
Woah, nice coincidence, I actually randomly happened upon that track on YouTube once and I've loved it ever since.

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner, motyxia and Wojaczek
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
I beg to differ...

In a little while I'll be gone
The moment's already passed
Yeah, it's gone
And I'm not here
This isn't happening
I'm not here, I'm not here

Strobe lights and blown speakers
Fireworks and hurricanes
This isn't happening

• Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: patheticpartner, LastLoveLetter, Futile and 5 others
deflationary

deflationary

Mar 11, 2020
My pick:

Lyrics:

Waaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, raaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, uaaaaagggghhhhhhh, aaaaaagggggghhhhhhhh.

Who can be bothered with words in despair.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: patheticpartner, GenesAndEnvironment, LonelyBrazilian and 3 others
Shadowplay

Shadowplay

Average life non-enjoyer
Sep 11, 2021
My pick:

Lyrics:

Waaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, raaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh, uaaaaagggghhhhhhh, aaaaaagggggghhhhhhhh.

Who can be bothered with words in despair.

An amazing album - one of my fave Metal albums of all time. Shame it is not on Spotify. The breakdown in 'No One Can Be Called as a Man While He'll Die' is freakin sick. Only heavy band I can think of with better breakdowns is Converge. I don't listen to much Black Metal, but I love some Burzum in the right mood. In a way he is the opposite; all reptitition.

This is pretty sick! Definite post-rock kinda vibe with the reptition. I've been listening to a lot of Tim Hecker and Stars of the Lid of late, and this seems to blend in pretty well. You might wanna check those cats out if you're not familiar with them, and want to expand your horizons. I love gateway music - music that opens you up to other new and different kinds of music. Drty Beaches is a cool name too.

But in terms of pure despaire I do have to disagree:

Townes Van Zandt - 'Nothin''

[Verse 1]
Hey mama, when you leave, don't leave a thing behind
I don't want nothing, I can't use nothing
Take care into the hall and if you see my friends
Tell 'em I'm fine, not using nothing

[Verse 2]
Almost burned out my eyes and threw my ears down to the floor
I didn't see nothing, I didn't hear nothing
I stood there like a block of stone knowing all I had to know
And nothing more, man, that's nothing

[Verse 3]
'Cause, brothers, our troubles are locked in each others arms
And you better pray that they never find you
'Cause your back ain't strong enough for burdens double fold
They'd crush you down, down into nothing

[Verse 4]
Being born is going blind and bowing down a thousand times
To echoes strung on pure temptation
Sorrow and solitude, these are the precious things
And the only words that are worth remembering

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: patheticpartner, Depressed_Kettle, Wojaczek and 2 others
motyxia

motyxia

less than him
Oct 14, 2021
It's cool to see what others think despair sounds like, especially when I compare it to how they made me feel. OP's made me feel uneasy, hotelbeneathground's made me feel disconnected, deflationary's was soothing (saved it to my playlist btw @deflationary, thanks for sharing I liked it a lot).

For me it's "let me leave" by Biv. I think a lot of Biv's tracks or at least parts of a lot regardless of lyrics feel like despair to me. In a calming way though, like even though everything is hopeless at least Biv's music is here with me. His vocals & the effects he often adds to them really connect with me & I can't explain why. It only took 1 song of his (Kind of Blue) for him to become one of my all-time favourite musicians. But this one feels like despair the most to me. The song & the video connect with me deeply, again can't explain why but I really wish I could share how much it means to me. Lyrics in spoiler beneath the video.

Old soul
The best that I've known
Thankful for this
Body of bones
Body of bones
Body of

I couldn't say much
What's new when your life don't phase none
Only died in my mind, now I'm laced up
Deep space where I crush all the fake love
But I still run back to the same rush
To the same rush
To the same rush

They speak words of gifts too much
Maybe I don't wanna be the one
It's a curse, but mask it enough
I'd like to leave if we must

I'm not tryna live in old days
They say time heals, why the scarface
She can't feel it when my heart ache

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner and deflationary
E

ellieUK

Oct 22, 2021
Was ok for a bit, but too much the same for me

• Wow
  • Hugs
Reactions: patheticpartner and Wojaczek
LonelyBrazilian

LonelyBrazilian

Just a boring guy.
Oct 21, 2021
this whole album

• Love
Reactions: Atraxa and patheticpartner
deflationary

deflationary

Mar 11, 2020
An amazing album - one of my fave Metal albums of all time. Shame it is not on Spotify. The breakdown in 'No One Can Be Called as a Man While He'll Die' is freakin sick. Only heavy band I can think of with better breakdowns is Converge. I don't listen to much Black Metal, but I love some Burzum in the right mood. In a way he is the opposite; all reptitition.
Man, consider me in love with you from now on. :)) Absolutely agreed on all counts when it comes to Weakling. The whole album is just absurdly good. I do listen to quite a lot of black metal, but I'd still probs pick this album as my all time favorite of the genre. It's perfect all the way till the last song, which does occasionally test my patience a bit. I'd probably nominate "This Entire Fucking Battlefield" as the best song. The fucking... everything about it. It's so massive. But "No One Can Be Called as a Man" is incredibly too.

Burzum is nice too, even though I don't have the same level of emotional connection to the music. Obligatory "Varg is a dunce" message here.

What's a good Converge song? I've somehow never checked them out.

@motyxia, super glad you enjoyed the song so much! I can see where you're coming from when calling it soothing, even though it sounds a bit paradoxical considering how much of a racket the song makes. Interesting song choice of your own too, btw.

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner, motyxia and Shadowplay
Shadowplay

Shadowplay

Average life non-enjoyer
Sep 11, 2021
Man, consider me in love with you from now on. :)) Absolutely agreed on all counts when it comes to Weakling. The whole album is just absurdly good. I do listen to quite a lot of black metal, but I'd still probs pick this album as my all time favorite of the genre. It's perfect all the way till the last song, which does occasionally test my patience a bit. I'd probably nominate "This Entire Fucking Battlefield" as the best song. The fucking... everything about it. It's so massive. But "No One Can Be Called as a Man" is incredibly too.

Burzum is nice too, even though I don't have the same level of emotional connection to the music. Obligatory "Varg is a dunce" message here.

What's a good Converge song? I've somehow never checked them out.

@motyxia, super glad you enjoyed the song so much! I can see where you're coming from when calling it soothing, even though it sounds a bit paradoxical considering how much of a racket the song makes. Interesting song choice of your own too,people I o
Yeah a great album but difficult; I don't listen to it much, maybe go through a phase. The long arsed song lengths don't help. Black Metal with post rock ambition, or post rock song length at least.

Varg is a turkey; kinda just a meme at this point. I like the 'Lords of Chaos' movie no idea how true to the book it is. I love Varg as the pudgy nerd who took the joke a bit too seriously.

Converge track with breakdown 'Drop Out' which seems appropriate. 'Jane Doe' is their opus, but I don't put it on much; heavier than Weakling as there is little let up. If you want a heavy album you can give it a crack; someone who listens to Weakling would be one of the few people I would recommend it to.

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner and deflationary
UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020

Leave it to a Russian to show you the depths of despair.

• Love
Reactions: patheticpartner
GenesAndEnvironment

GenesAndEnvironment

Autistic loser
Jan 26, 2021
Pure suicide fuel:

• Yay!
Reactions: Leech, patheticpartner, ohangiedontyouweep and 1 other person
Enigmatic Sailor

Enigmatic Sailor

vicissitudes of fate...
Oct 29, 2021
@GenesAndEnvironment haha (I don't know how to quote).

• Hugs
R

ReallyTired

Oct 21, 2021
I like this song.

Last edited:
  • Love
Depressed_Kettle

Depressed_Kettle

Experienced
Apr 25, 2021

This is pretty sick! Definite post-rock kinda vibe with the reptition. I've been listening to a lot of Tim Hecker and Stars of the Lid of late, and this seems to blend in pretty well. You might wanna check those cats out if you're not familiar with them, and want to expand your horizons. I love gateway music - music that opens you up to other new and different kinds of music. Drty Beaches is a cool name too.

But in terms of pure despaire I do have to disagree:

Townes Van Zandt - 'Nothin''

[Verse 1]
Hey mama, when you leave, don't leave a thing behind
I don't want nothing, I can't use nothing
Take care into the hall and if you see my friends
Tell 'em I'm fine, not using nothing

[Verse 2]
Almost burned out my eyes and threw my ears down to the floor
I didn't see nothing, I didn't hear nothing
I stood there like a block of stone knowing all I had to know
And nothing more, man, that's nothing

[Verse 3]
'Cause, brothers, our troubles are locked in each others arms
And you better pray that they never find you
'Cause your back ain't strong enough for burdens double fold
They'd crush you down, down into nothing

[Verse 4]
Being born is going blind and bowing down a thousand times
To echoes strung on pure temptation
Sorrow and solitude, these are the precious things
And the only words that are worth remembering

That song is great, I also like another song by him called "Waiting around to die"

• Love
Reactions: Shadowplay, deflationary and patheticpartner
Luchs

Luchs

kristallene Bergluft über verfallener Gruft
Aug 20, 2019
I have to disagree.

It is an amazing song, just the mental image of being a Gaul that is sitting behind the walls of Alesia, waiting for the final battle against the vastly stronger Roman army that will decide the future of their people, it gives me goosebumps.

Reactions: deflationary
deflationary

deflationary

Mar 11, 2020
I have to disagree.

It is an amazing song, just the mental image of being a Gaul that is sitting behind the walls of Alesia, waiting for the final battle against the vastly stronger Roman army that will decide the future of their people, it gives me goosebumps.

Rome is great! I had listened to this album but didn't remember this specific song. It's a great one.

My choice for a Rome song that's best at conveying despair would be this: