RevolutionaryRed

RevolutionaryRed

Apr 8, 2018
After I failed my suicide attempt earlier this year, I went to the hospital. I was there for about 5 days and I was told I could go back home( I'm damn near homeless btw) or I can be committed to a mental facility that'll last about 7 months or so. The latter is looking more appealing now. I mean, I'm not in a hospital now, I'm at home and I'm miserable. I'm 22, no job and not in school. Been looking for work for a while but literally cant find any job, my mom wants me out. All I do Is lay at home being miserable, broke and passively suicidal. I miss being actively suicidal, at least with that , I'd have the motivation to kms

Have you guys been committed? Do you think I should do it ?

Reactions: RM5998, IG959, Deutschv2 and 5 others
Made4TV

Made4TV

A hopeless hope junkie
Sep 17, 2018
For me it would depend on what the program was like. Would you be getting therapy do you know?

Reactions: RM5998, IG959, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
Made4TV

Made4TV

A hopeless hope junkie
Sep 17, 2018
And yes I've been in the hospital quite a few times. Some really did help me. Never been in over 5 weeks though.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Made4TV

Made4TV

A hopeless hope junkie
Sep 17, 2018
I certainly don't want to be pro-life over pro-choice but some folks have found help that has changed their life. I'd probably check it out...

Reactions: Deutschv2, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and throwaway123
J

Jon

Student
Oct 1, 2018
From what I've read about getting committed is that you're out after a few days, though that could be they had been suicide attempts and they wanted out, and under EU law I don't believe they can be kept against their will for more more than three days unless they are deemed a threat to others, though don't quote me on that. I saw that you're American and process may be different over there.

Just read you could be there for seven months, which is lucky. Just remember you'll need to come out sooner or later and moving back into your mum's house could prove tricky. Having no money when you want to die does further complicate the situation as the number of options you have are limited, and you won't even have money to buy some pain killers.

I would either go to the clinic, or alternatively just keep trying the job-hunting, any job will do. Both would possibly introduce you to decent people who could help you, the former would be trained professions who may even be able to help you find work or accommodation, the latter would give you money and you'll feel at least you're of some worth and there's always good people around. You'll recognise the good people as generally they are quite quiet and reserved, and you may need to initiate small talk. There's no place I've ever worked in that has been made up solely of idiots, there are always at least one or two kind people.

If you opt for the clinic, which from the outset seems the better option, then continue to job hunt and make it absolutely clear to the nurse that you are desperate to get on your feet and working. She may be able to find you work while you're staying at the clinic.

Being broke and unemployed with a mum who wants you out are external situations that I fully appreciate must be difficult, but remember they are external. And I do believe many external situations can be fixed, especially when you're young, though it's not guaranteed. Even though you wouldn't be able to take your life in the clinic it does give you time to get treatment, and with any luck, a job and finances. Then you can take things from there...

Reactions: Samuel, RM5998 and weedoge
Swisher

Swisher

Black as coal
Sep 9, 2018
After I failed my suicide attempt earlier this year, I went to the hospital. I was there for about 5 days and I was told I could go back home( I'm damn near homeless btw) or I can be committed to a mental facility that'll last about 7 months or so. The latter is looking more appealing now. I mean, I'm not in a hospital now, I'm at home and I'm miserable. I'm 22, no job and not in school. Been looking for work for a while but literally cant find any job, my mom wants me out. All I do Is lay at home being miserable, broke and passively suicidal. I miss being actively suicidal, at least with that , I'd have the motivation to kms

I begged my doctor, " Please put me in! Please put me in! Three meals a day. Watching TV all day and hang out! I'm so sick. Please!!!!" She said, " This will be wrong for you. You'll hate it. It's a lockdown...you'll hate it. Do you want to go"?! I had lost too much weight. So, I was eating like a pig to gain weight....when I got the flu. Nine days of flu. I needed help to eat, to rest, to exercise. I wanted help. THREE DAYS OF HELL... THE MOST MIND- NUMBING BOREDOM. We discussed everything before I went in: EXERCISE, FOOD, SLEEP. I Was screamed at everyday all day. No orientation. Could stand- up no longer than 15 seconds at a time = NO EXERCISE. They said they may change my medication- I remember saying, "That's fine. You know what your doing. It's not like you'll kill me*". They changed my medication by cutting it in half. My blood pressure went up to 150/95 ( my BP...usually 104/68-) Sleep?! Not one second did I sleep!! *I had a stroke at an extremely young age after that. Hmmm? Food= lost 3 more pounds. They lied. It was hideous!!! If you go somewhere, make sure there is a line of people trying to get in!! No joke! Nooooooo. I hope whatever you do, it's right for you. If there are multiple programs and you do this voluntarily, check these places out! ( smaller the better...if you've got a variety and there is no waiting list for some lovely place with a pool and water- slide! (Some Drug rehabs have much more therapy and some are really nice). Sorry. Blah. Blah. I refuse to say I'm am addict. I just can't lose my pain- control. Op-ed!

Reactions: lv-gras, DeathBecomesMe and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Caustic Cardinals

Caustic Cardinals

Enlightened
Sep 1, 2018
Failed my driver's test again. I have to drive illegally to practice for the fucking test and I failed by a fucking hair it is so frustrating that after the exam I kicked a living shit out of my car and now it's dented and uglier than before and I almost ended up going to the hospital but then I remembered I have a giant bag of weed. Fuck the hospital I'm never going back to the hospital!

Reactions: wxtyubidi7y, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Swisher
Swisher

Swisher

Black as coal
Sep 9, 2018
Failed my driver's test again. I have to drive illegally to practice for the fucking test and I failed by a fucking hair it is so frustrating that after the exam I kicked a living shit out of my car and now it's dented and uglier than before and I almost ended up going to the hospital but then I remembered I have a giant bag of weed. Fuck the hospital I'm never going back to the hospital!
Haha! Good choice. BEING IT TO ME.

Reactions: Caustic Cardinals and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
From what I've read about getting committed is that you're out after a few days, though that could be they had been suicide attempts and they wanted out, and under EU law I don't believe they can be kept against their will for more more than three days unless they are deemed a threat to others, though don't quote me on that. I saw that you're American and process may be different over there.

Just read you could be there for seven months, which is lucky. Just remember you'll need to come out sooner or later and moving back into your mum's house could prove tricky. Having no money when you want to die does further complicate the situation as the number of options you have are limited, and you won't even have money to buy some pain killers.

I would either go to the clinic, or alternatively just keep trying the job-hunting, any job will do. Both would possibly introduce you to decent people who could help you, the former would be trained professions who may even be able to help you find work or accommodation, the latter would give you money and you'll feel at least you're of some worth and there's always good people around. You'll recognise the good people as generally they are quite quiet and reserved, and you may need to initiate small talk. There's no place I've ever worked in that has been made up solely of idiots, there are always at least one or two kind people.

If you opt for the clinic, which from the outset seems the better option, then continue to job hunt and make it absolutely clear to the nurse that you are desperate to get on your feet and working. She may be able to find you work while you're staying at the clinic.

Being broke and unemployed with a mum who wants you out are external situations that I fully appreciate must be difficult, but remember they are external. And I do believe many external situations can be fixed, especially when you're young, though it's not guaranteed. Even though you wouldn't be able to take your life in the clinic it does give you time to get treatment, and with any luck, a job and finances. Then you can take things from there...
Just my experience, my first stay in a hospital was for 77 days exactly. I was under 18 and I think this might have been a factor, like idk I had more hope and so they made more effort? I recall the risk of institutionalisation being brought up and I think it actually happened partially, so yes being aware of having to come out at some point is a pretty important thing. It affected me so much that for the next 5 years I actually saw hospital as a positive place to relax and have fun and cause trouble with no responsibilities, worries or backlash.

I was so wrong and my second stay was basically hell, they neglected and nigh-on abused me and the other patients. I think they saw my file and assumed all my issues were down to drugs and saw me as scum.

I think part of the reason I lost hope eventually is because I realised I can't rely on other people my entire life and I don't want to live such a life, even though I think it is what would be required.

I begged my doctor, " Please put me in! Please put me in! Three meals a day. Watching TV all day and hang out! I'm so sick. Please!!!!" She said, " This will be wrong for you. You'll hate it. It's a lockdown...you'll hate it. Do you want to go"?! I had lost too much weight. So, I was eating like a pig to gain weight....when I got the flu. Nine days of flu. I needed help to eat, to rest, to exercise. I wanted help. THREE DAYS OF HELL... THE MOST MIND- NUMBING BOREDOM. We discussed everything before I went in: EXERCISE, FOOD, SLEEP. I Was screamed at everyday all day. No orientation. Could stand- up no longer than 15 seconds at a time = NO EXERCISE. They said they may change my medication- I remember saying, "That's fine. You know what your doing. It's not like you'll kill me*". They changed my medication by cutting it in half. My blood pressure went up to 150/95 ( my BP...usually 104/68-) Sleep?! Not one second did I sleep!! *I had a stroke at an extremely young age after that. Hmmm? Food= lost 3 more pounds. They lied. It was hideous!!! If you go somewhere, make sure there is a line of people trying to get in!! No joke! Nooooooo. I hope whatever you do, it's right for you. If there are multiple programs and you do this voluntarily, check these places out! ( smaller the better...if you've got a variety and there is no waiting list for some lovely place with a pool and water- slide! (Some Drug rehabs have much more therapy and some are really nice). Sorry. Blah. Blah. I refuse to say I'm am addict. I just can't lose my pain- control. Op-ed!
I think it's hit an miss honestly, the good facility I was in is one of the oldest mental health facilities in the UK and then the hellish one was a small local place. Don't know if my age had something to do with it, fuck I never really figured out why they were so awful there.

Reactions: Deutschv2, lv-gras, Swisher and 1 other person
M

MistakesHappen

Escapologist
Aug 29, 2018
Just my experience, my first stay in a hospital was for 77 days exactly. I was under 18 and I think this might have been a factor, like idk I had more hope and so they made more effort? I recall the risk of institutionalisation being brought up and I think it actually happened partially, so yes being aware of having to come out at some point is a pretty important thing. It affected me so much that for the next 5 years I actually saw hospital as a positive place to relax and have fun and cause trouble with no responsibilities, worries or backlash.

I was so wrong and my second stay was basically hell, they neglected and nigh-on abused me and the other patients. I think they saw my file and assumed all my issues were down to drugs and saw me as scum.

I think part of the reason I lost hope eventually is because I realised I can't rely on other people my entire life and I don't want to live such a life, even though I think it is what would be required.

I think it's hit an miss honestly, the good facility I was in is one of the oldest mental health facilities in the UK and then the hellish one was a small local place. Don't know if my age had something to do with it, fuck I never really figured out why they were so awful there.

If i can ask, what did you do there? In your first hospitalization

Reactions: lv-gras
Swisher

Swisher

Black as coal
Sep 9, 2018

Watched it, felt it, get it. Horrible.
Btw, drug addiction is not a disease*...they would NEVER treat cancer patients with such condescension, and disrespect (*btw, that would be sarcasm). Makes me sick.

& if your info got out to other patients, W,...that's infuriating

Reactions: Deutschv2, lv-gras, weedoge and 1 other person
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Watched it, felt it, get it. Horrible.
Btw, drug addiction is not a disease*...they would NEVER treat cancer patients with such condescension, and disrespect (*btw, that would be sarcasm). Makes me sick.

& if your info got out to other patients, W,...that's infuriating
<3 honestly I knew immediately how I was being treated and I think maybe they thought I was more "out of it" than I really was. They mstve known I'd taken a large dose of benzos or something and assumed I wouldn't remember. I remember and also kept a diary while I was there so I could write up all the details.

I wanted to fight against them before I die but I cant, I'm hoping a mention if it in my note along with my description of what happened there might prompt a change in at least that one place. Trust me you wouldn't believe half of the shit that happened there, I know I wouldn't and even a year and a half later it makes me sick to think about and I relive it every few weeks while I'm trying to sleep n stuff.

Reactions: Deutschv2, Swisher, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Honestly don't feel particularly hurt or hard done to anymore, just shocked and bewildered at how different reality is from what i expected

Reactions: Swisher and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
I

itsallover

Arcanist
Jun 29, 2018
If they put you in a long term state hospital then they'll eventually find you housing. If I was healthy I would do that and forget working. It's not longer an option for me to go back there because of my condition. I'd rather die than go back in there.

Reactions: lv-gras, Swisher and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
If they put you in a long term state hospital then they'll eventually find you housing. If I was healthy I would do that and forget working. It's not longer an option for me to go back there because of my condition. I'd rather die than go back in there.
but what would that housing be like? You're right, at least in the UK they wouldn't discharge me until I had somewhere to live and so found me somewhere, it was nothing long term and didn't work out.

Reactions: lv-gras, Swisher and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
J

Jaded

Student
Sep 8, 2018
, I know I wouldn't and even a year and a half later it makes me sick to think about and I relive it every few weeks while I'm trying to sleep n stuff.
That's totally sickening. A lot of them seem woefully inadequate. How long were you in the 2nd one ?

Reactions: weedoge and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Swisher

Swisher

Black as coal
Sep 9, 2018
<3 honestly I knew immediately how I was being treated and I think maybe they thought I was more "out of it" than I really was. They mstve known I'd taken a large dose of benzos or something and assumed I wouldn't remember. I remember and also kept a diary while I was there so I could write up all the details.

I wanted to fight against them before I die but I cant, I'm hoping a mention if it in my note along with my description of what happened there might prompt a change in at least that one place. Trust me you wouldn't believe half of the shit that happened there, I know I wouldn't and even a year and a half later it makes me sick to think about and I relive it every few weeks while I'm trying to sleep n stuff.
I get that too! If I could sleep...I haven't for five days.....I wake up, realize it's all really happened and happening and cry. Time to go. My God. Time to go.

I

itsallover

Arcanist
Jun 29, 2018
but what would that housing be like? You're right, at least in the UK they wouldn't discharge me until I had somewhere to live and so found me somewhere, it was nothing long term and didn't work out.
In the states they find you permanent housing but it's usually in the ghetto. I had a friend who did that and his roommate was completely off the wall

Reactions: Lizzie S., lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
In the states they find you permanent housing but it's usually in the ghetto. I had a friend who did that and his roommate was completely off the wall
Heheh.. yup, I've lived in many places like that. I never lived in a city so it's not exactly the same but in a large town I lived on the worst estate with a nutty flatmate. Like, really nutty.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Swisher
T

Time2Go?

Oct 3, 2018

I have been in the psych ward several times. I don't know how it is in other countries, but in the States they also use the psych ward as a place to stick people with drug/alcohol problems. I understand why they do it, a lot of people (including me) use substances to self medicate a psychological issue, but having only psych issues (now) I do sometimes find it frustrating. The programs tend to be geared toward recovery from substances and less toward psychological health. The first time I went in, the shrink told me that because I was sober I could attend the Whatever Anonymous meetings and help other people. I was thinking that I am barely hanging on by a thread and this jack ass wants me to help other people.

Sometimes the hospital does help. Sometimes not. A hospital that offers behavioral health classes, talk therapy as well as medication is always preferable to one solution alone. Not only can the classes be helpful but they also help pass the time. There is a whole lot of nothing to do in the psych ward. Also some hospitals offer ECT (electric shocks to the brain). Some people find these helpful and have even gone on to lead productive lives. During one of my stays I met a lady who came in every six weeks for three days to receive ECT's. She had been receiving them for six years. She worked, had friends, a relationship, and happiness in her life. She told me if it wasn't for the ECT's, she would have voluntarily departed this life yeas ago. However my friend (one and only) had six ECT's in 2006. He suffered some brain damage. It took him six months to learn to drive again. Before the ECT's, he was an Electrical Engineer with an EE degree. After, due to short term memory loss, he was holding up greeting signs in an airport. He was able to do that for two years and then he couldn't even do that. He had to apply for Disability. He was approved in six weeks. Four years ago he was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. After tons of tests, the neurologist told him it was from damage done by the ECT's.

If someone is suicidal they may think that they have nothing to lose by being admitted, and for the most part that's true. However I was a raging alcoholic for over twenty years and then I quit. I don't know how it happened, but I did not suffer any liver damage even after all those years of extreme abuse. But one year on the psych meds they gave me (which only made me lethargic and lazy) I had serious liver damage. As in the example of myself and my friend, sometimes there is more to lose than just a heartbeat and brain waves.

If someone is going in for three hots and a cot then there are other factors to consider. What are the beds like (one hospital I was in the beds were literally almost as hard as the bare ground), how is the food? Bad food for a couple days or even a week or two can be tolerated, but several months is another story. The last stay I had was only a week, but I lost almost ten pounds because I COULD NOT eat the food. I am not picky, but the taste of the food literally made me nauseous.

Best of luck, Mattie

Reactions: Deutschv2, weedoge and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Duqu

Duqu

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Aug 27, 2018
If it's "committed" like literally for 7 months I'm assuming that makes it involuntary? Because you usually aren't using the term "committed" unless you are involuntary. Voluntary you can leave any time so long as you sign some form saying you're not a danger to yourself or others (getting them out of legal trouble in case you are).

I was in the ER trying to get into a place but no one had a bed. My therapist called and said the only way I could go in was to go to this one hospital that's like an hour away from my mom who is the only one who could bring me things/visit and I'd have to go in involuntary. Which made NO SENSE since I was clearly voluntary as I had voluntarily checked myself into ER. Anyway. I refused. Which turned out to be good (I didn't have my cell phone) but believe it or not you can look up psych unit recommendations (or lack thereof) on google with stars...the place they wanted me to go to had 1.2 stars, about 25 ratings of 1 star and reviews of people saying it was dirty, bugs, terrible staff, no therapy, just sitting in a room doing nothing all day long. And I'd have been stuck because I would have been involuntary (have to be "released" or go to court to be allowed out).

No thanks.

N

Nik

Oct 4, 2018
They do discharge with no fixed abode. It happened to me, they paid for a taxi to my local council to present myself as homeless.

Reactions: lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
They do discharge with no fixed abode. It happened to me, they paid for a taxi to my local council to present myself as homeless.
Ah yeah I forgot, I was on an adolescent ward so I guess that's why. Not sure why I expected services to be reasonable in any way at all, sorry that happened to you.

Reactions: lv-gras and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
N

Nik

Oct 4, 2018
Ah yeah I forgot, I was on an adolescent ward so I guess that's why. Not sure why I expected services to be reasonable in any way at all, sorry that happened to you.
Not your fault. Thank you.

Reactions: lv-gras, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and weedoge
Made4TV

Made4TV

A hopeless hope junkie
Sep 17, 2018
Out of curiosity, what happened then? I'm from the US so this is a bit of a foreign idea (councils) I think...

Reactions: lv-gras and weedoge
N

Nik

Oct 4, 2018
Out of curiosity, what happened then? I'm from the US so this is a bit of a foreign idea (councils) I think...
I'm in temporary housing. Possibly soon to be homeless as the council may decide that my situation is intentional and therefore they don't have a duty of care. It's a rinse and repeat too many times.

RevolutionaryRed

RevolutionaryRed

Apr 8, 2018
If it's "committed" like literally for 7 months I'm assuming that makes it involuntary? Because you usually aren't using the term "committed" unless you are involuntary. Voluntary you can leave any time so long as you sign some form saying you're not a danger to yourself or others (getting them out of legal trouble in case you are).

I was in the ER trying to get into a place but no one had a bed. My therapist called and said the only way I could go in was to go to this one hospital that's like an hour away from my mom who is the only one who could bring me things/visit and I'd have to go in involuntary. Which made NO SENSE since I was clearly voluntary as I had voluntarily checked myself into ER. Anyway. I refused. Which turned out to be good (I didn't have my cell phone) but believe it or not you can look up psych unit recommendations (or lack thereof) on google with stars...the place they wanted me to go to had 1.2 stars, about 25 ratings of 1 star and reviews of people saying it was dirty, bugs, terrible staff, no therapy, just sitting in a room doing nothing all day long. And I'd have been stuck because I would have been involuntary (have to be "released" or go to court to be allowed out).

No thanks.
Idk if its involuntary or not. After my attempt, I was in a psychiatric hospital and and a worker from the county came up and said I have 2 choices , either follow rules (they assign me a case worker, etc) or I'll be involuntarily committed and sent away for 7 months. I guess I answered my own question lol.

Duqu

Duqu

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
Aug 27, 2018
Idk if its involuntary or not. After my attempt, I was in a psychiatric hospital and and a worker from the county came up and said I have 2 choices , either follow rules (they assign me a case worker, etc) or I'll be involuntarily committed and sent away for 7 months. I guess I answered my own question lol.

Is it the same place you were at? Did you at least semi-LIKE it there? Like, was it clean, were you treated nicely, was the food edible, etc...if it's a different place, google it. Seriously.

RevolutionaryRed

RevolutionaryRed

Apr 8, 2018
Is it the same place you were at? Did you at least semi-LIKE it there? Like, was it clean, were you treated nicely, was the food edible, etc...if it's a different place, google it. Seriously.
The place I was at was temporary . Idk where they would take me , but they made it certain that it's far away from here