wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
There's a scene in Return of the King that always gives me chills. Theoden is about to lead his army to fight the hordes of Mordor, and he makes this great speech, "A sword day! A red day, and the sun rises!!" Then he leads the Eorlingas in yelling the word "Death!" several times.

It literally just occurred to me that they were primarily wishing death upon their enemies. Eowyn and Merry just look traumatized because they're not expecting to survive. Like, "Oh, I guess the special on tap is death today. Okay, then. Death it is." I'd always just vaguely assumed the whole army was suicidal for some reason. I thought it was odd.

• Yay!
Reactions: BruhXDDDDD, katagiri83, lachrymost and 7 others
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
😂

• Yay!
Reactions: Source Energy, MellowAvenue and wait.what
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I assumed they knew they were vastly outnumbered and going to their deaths and so chose to go down swinging while yelling "death" as some kind of battle cry. Is that not accurate then? I took it as a ctb-thing as well tbh.

Reactions: makethepainstop and MellowAvenue
wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
I think it can be read that way. I was just wondering, why do they all want to die now? (They didn't, of course. That's just my ridiculous brain.)

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It's kind of scary how our brains can interpret things sometimes. I don't have a story about suicide but it is about death/ reincarnation- so here seems like a good thread to put it- sorry- hope I'm not derailing!

I went to Seville (Spain) once and had a tour around one of the churches. There was one particular sculpture that the guide said- 'If you ever wanted to return- you should touch.' She meant return to Seville but I thought she meant reincarnate! (Which was so stupid of me because it was a Catholic church) So I was like- 'Oh- no thanks!' Felt really bad afterwards- probably insulted her. Annoying as well because I loved Seville. I'd really like to go back! Stupid story but hey...😆

• Yay!
Reactions: katagiri83 and rationaltake
iamalreadydead

iamalreadydead

Student
Nov 25, 2022
this isnt totally related but I've had a similar experience, I always assumed that this one song by neutral milk hotel was about incest but it turns out I was wrong as hell. trauma warping our interpretations of shit is kind of hilarious

makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
I always thought, "Death be Damned!" would be a great battle cry.

sadmeltie

sadmeltie

Oct 16, 2022
Your right thats a epic battle cry lol