depthss

depthss

wikihow
Dec 12, 2023
life is just all about distractions and the illusion of purpose. i hate having to just try and find things that dont matter to try and make myself feel a bit better. i dont know how non suicidal people can do it, no matter what they do with their lives, no matter how good everything is, its all exactly the same in the end. i almost wish i was religious, just so i could convince myself that its not just gonna be nothing like everyone else, and that if i act better, ill get to go to some type of paradise.
but i dont believe in anything like that at all, i used to force it when i was younger, but it didnt work, so it all just fell apart. now, everyday is just trying to find distractions until im in a posisition where i can ctb, and thats all life ever really is

• Hugs
Reactions: LifeQuitter, ebg, skyflame and 8 others
geogaddi_676

geogaddi_676

Jul 12, 2023
agreed, and if you don't like the distractions available and the mandatory slaving away you have to do to gain those distractions, you're labelled as depressed. Its easy to feel guilty for playing video games and just killing time with entertainment and technology, but I try and tell myself that these things are the end result of hundreds of years of progress and smart people inventing and thinking about stuff, I at least try and enjoy them even though like everything else it just gets tired and samey after a while. We are lucky to have them when you compare the options that our ancestors had, even if most new things just feel like more of the same regurgitated plots and ideas, although you could also argue they were more ignorant and had other things to occupy there time, didn't have time to think about how depressed they were. I do feel like our culture is stagnant and warped at the moment so I end up reaching back to earlier times, although i'm finding less and less things give me interest in everything as I get older, but I'm lucky in that I do have some things left than still interest me. Life does just seem like killing time until you die, that's why people have children to give there lives meaning, but then you're just passing the same problems on and they will likely grow up to deal with the same existential angst and meaningless than comes with life. There are normies out there who do genuinely find meaning in the mundane and enjoy everything that life has to offer,I guess they are the ones most likely to breed more,not sure. Paradise would be great, but depends on who's idea of paradise it is, what if its someone like Kim Jung Un's idea and you are forced to worship him as a God for eternity, I prefer the idea of nonexistence, I literally can't wait to die most days,give me void.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: davidtorez, alienfreak, tinyboxer and 1 other person
Marco77

Marco77

À ma manière 🪦
Aug 18, 2024
This ordeal won't last forever.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, davidtorez and geogaddi_676
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think for the majority of people, distraction is in fact what helps them get through a more basic reality that- if they don't acquire money- usually through earning it (if they don't qualify for benefits,) they'll becone destitute, starve, freeze and suffer terribly. I think people just keep going as best they can to try and prevent their lives getting so much worse. Distraction helps them do that I suppose. That way, they don't get enough time to dwell on what the meaning of it all is. Some also realise that these questions don't have answers and, thinking about them makes them miserable, so they avoid them. That or, they truly get spellbound by their distractions I suppose. Or, they trap themselves into responsible tasks like having and raising children.

Reactions: davidtorez and geogaddi_676
alienfreak

alienfreak

Sep 25, 2024
The meaninglessness is fine when you're healthy and have a good life. it can even be seen as lifting away anxiety since you don't have to worry so much about things that don't matter. If I had a clear sense of meaning i would be anxious about achieving it. It is freeing for there to be no meaning since there are less constraints on what you should do. In the good parts of my life i thought it a good thing that there was no meaning.

However, if you don't/can't enjoy anything, then there's no reason to go on. Meaning could justify persisting in an unhappy life... but without meaning, you have to be happy or there's no way to justify going onward. So it is a problem for me when i am unhappy.

One way i can think of to justify going on is to try to make other people happy even if you have given up on finding happiness for yourself, e.g. "i should try to not kill myself because my ex would blame himself and it would traumatise him forever"

It seems like normal people dont even think about it though, or have weird, shallow, incoherent views on meaning that aren't fleshed out, so I don't comprehend how most people really see it.

Last edited:
WildAtHeart

WildAtHeart

tired
Oct 1, 2024
Life is meaningless in the sense humans are so insignificant in the grand scheme of everything. Also meaningless in the sense of we are eaten up and spat out by the few at the top of the social food chain. Big business owners and politicians who hate the working class due to their believed elitism. Causes the majority to be dissatisfied with the state of things and just fuels the idea of meaningless of life.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I personally also see it as all ultimately pointless, to me existing truly is such a futile burden that I never would have chosen and never wished for. But anyway I wish you the best.

Reactions: geogaddi_676 and davidtorez
davidtorez

davidtorez

Arcanist
Mar 8, 2024
Hamster on a hamster wheel. That's pretty much it. At least a hamster can't sit there and ponder about how meaningless it's purpose and actions are

Reactions: geogaddi_676 and pthnrdnojvsc
skyflame

skyflame

Oct 1, 2024
Same. Forcing yourself to like things, to care about things and be like everyone else, which I don't want to be. And I hate myself for trying so hard.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc and geogaddi_676