raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
"Nietzsche believed that in a mass society modern 'man' cannot be genuinely happy. They are merely a herd incapable of lifting themselves above the law of animal evolution. It requires superhuman effort to live a satisfying and creative life in a modern industrial society." Superhuman effort? I cannot live like this I was so happy and I pushed my partner away because I couldn't forget the things he'd done in the past, I couldn't forget the past. I don't know how long I can go on imagining myself happy because there is no genuine happiness, everything is effort. I have lost effort and I see no light. I need dementia to forget him.

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim, Forever Sleep and LoiteringClouds
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
In my case I certainly see the whole idea of "happiness" in this cruel and futile existence as being delusional, I see it as such a tiresome burden to exist as a human in this world filled with endless suffering. But anyway I wish you the best.

Reactions: myusername890 and raindrops
Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
Most people find it genuine enough. It's not for everyone, nor is suicidal misery. To each their own.

Reactions: raindrops and Tears in Rain
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Maybe not constant happiness- no. I find these sorts of presumptions weird though. It's like telling someone laughing uncontrollably at a joke that it really isn't funny. It's like telling someone who adores the taste of chocolate that in fact- they are mistaken. How can one human decide what another human is feeling or, what they value?!! It's just as bad as someone saying- you shouldn't be unhappy. Nothing is worth you wanting to kill yourself over. It's down to our individual experience and perception of this world- surely?

Of course- you could of course argue whether it's likely someone will be all that happy in this world. Even whether it's morally ok to feel happy to be part of a system that exploits others while we are being exploited.

Still- as an issolated emotion, I think it's presumptious to invalidate what someone is feeling. It's like saying- ok everyone- the colour blue doesn't exist anymore. Stop seeing blue everyone! And if you think you have- you're f*cking crazy! Personally, I find nihilists just as single minded and intolerant as pro-lifers. It's a point of view- not a reality that everyone shares.

Emotions aren't exactly right or wrong- they are a reaction to a stimulus. They're not like a maths equation. Imagine if we were tested on whether we found a joke funny or whether we liked a certain scent or colour. Maybe we are now though in a way! With all these wannabe TikTokers and YouTubers becoming famous by reacting to things! Influencers or whatever- incase you aren't sure what to like maybe.

I'm sorry about your partner though but again- I think it's weird to say to someone who is having or had a genuine relationship that made them happy that- actually, that was all a delussion. You weren't really happy- even then. I just think it's weird for them to think they know other people's minds.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim, @siniy_cat, tiger b and 2 others
Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
"Nietzsche believed that in a mass society modern 'man' cannot be genuinely happy. They are merely a herd incapable of lifting themselves above the law of animal evolution. It requires superhuman effort to live a satisfying and creative life in a modern industrial society." Superhuman effort? I cannot live like this I was so happy and I pushed my partner away because I couldn't forget the things he'd done in the past, I couldn't forget the past. I don't know how long I can go on imagining myself happy because there is no genuine happiness, everything is effort. I have lost effort and I see no light. I need dementia to forget him.
There's no long-lasting, happily-ever-after happiness, but most people get enough experiences of happiness in their lives to keep them content enough to keep going. Constant distractions, constant pleasure-seeking. Always looking for the next thrill. Everyone's just going along to get along, repeating the same script day-in, day out. But they have enough moments of fun and happiness in their lives to keep them content.

Reactions: Orange Cat and raindrops
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
I disagree, I have had a lot of happiness in life and most people seem to love life.

However, I do believe people like us are beyond help, at least currently.

• Aww..
Reactions: raindrops
raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
There's no long-lasting, happily-ever-after happiness, but most people get enough experiences of happiness in their lives to keep them content enough to keep going. Constant distractions, constant pleasure-seeking. Always looking for the next thrill. Everyone's just going along to get along, repeating the same script day-in, day out. But they have enough moments of fun and happiness in their lives to keep them content.
Thank you for that, insightful. I go from feeling hopeful to hopeless. This made me feel hopeful. The effort to try keep happiness flowing scares me to death (literally)
I disagree, I have had a lot of happiness in life and most people seem to love life.

However, I do believe people like us are beyond help, at least currently
I just feel like if there was genuine happiness we wouldn't be dealing with this. Happiness is like the tide, it comes in, it goes back out again, I suppose. I look out my window and I see families walking by and I think to myself that is happiness that is what I want, personally. My ex partner's family is very happy and very normal, no trauma, no conflict. That's what I want. I'm the last person in my family with this last name as my mother took her father's name, everyone with this name is dead, honestly. Perhaps it is my destiny to be dead and never experience real happiness and a complete family. I must of been something awful in my life before this one. I feel I am beyond helping because even if I did feel happy/content then I'd feel regret. I hate feelings, emotions, whatever. I need a hug.

• Hugs
Reactions: Tears in Rain