N

niki wonoto

Student
Oct 10, 2019
There is no meaning of life. We just exist, and die. And life goes on, and on, and on. For million, billion of years, etc etc etc.

We are just a speck of dust in the vast universe, in the grand scheme of things.

Of course, 90% (or 99%?) of people (human beings) will always try to find or give 'meaning/purpose' in their own insignificant lives, because the reason is simple: it's survival instinct. Human beings (people) will (usually) try to keep living, keep surviving, no matter what. It's evolutionary. It's in human nature.
Even if it means people (humans) will create anything as their toxic positivity & optimism bias, especially in today's world/era.
But it all still doesn't make it true.
It's just delusions, illusions, fantasy, wishful-thinking, & human's futile hope, wishes, imaginations, dreams, expectations, theories, etc etc etc
But it's not the harsh reality/truth/facts, because people don't want to hear the harsh reality/truth/fact. People only want to hear good things only (most people), even if it's in their own denial, ignorance, blind faith, naivety, simple-mindedness, & stupidity.

There is no meaning of life.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: sserafim, CTB Dream, Twntysix and 10 others
C

conarc

Experienced
Aug 8, 2023
Simply true.

Reactions: sserafim, CTB Dream, pthnrdnojvsc and 2 others
C

cph

Oct 17, 2021
I feel like a lot of people do live lives of purpose, I for one do not understand these people. SI is a bitch. Everyone in my family and friend group live lifes of purpose.

Reactions: sserafim and Homo erectus
C

conarc

Experienced
Aug 8, 2023
I feel like a lot of people do live lives of purpose, I for one do not understand these people. SI is a bitch. Everyone in my family and friend group live lifes of purpose.
Once easy suicide is available for everyone, people will stop with this useless live.

Reactions: sserafim, CTB Dream and Homo erectus
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Such a thing as existence could never be meaningful, it's just a futile cycle of senseless suffering and cruelty, existence is just a horrific mistake that just disturbed the peace of nothingness, it serves no purpose other than just being a way to inflict harm onto existing beings so unnecessarily.

I feel like humans only question "what is the meaning of life" as unlike animals they have the ability to be conscious and aware, many of them find it hard to accept that they are simply slowly decaying in this meaningless existence destined for nothing and nowhere, they are just waiting for death to erase all they knew.

To me it's quite comforting how existence is completely meaningless, it's comforting to think that all will be lost to death someday and forgotten about, only death can bring me relief, and once we lose consciousness, that is it for us, we are gone and finally there will be peace.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim, CTB Dream, Homo erectus and 3 others
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
But every parent thinks their child is going to be the one that makes a difference in this world lol. Such a delusional species we are.

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim, CTB Dream, Homo erectus and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Sometimes I think it's just about taking the path of least resistance. Unless pretty nasty stuff happens in their life- you have to wonder whether the majority of people even consider suicide- for a prolonged period anyhow. So- if killing themselves isn't even a consideration for them- for whatever reason- they are left with trying to live.

We don't actually know what the meaning of life is. Granted- there may not be one but equally, there's nothing to prohibit someone from deciding on their own meaning. Put it this way- someone who lives for their children, or their job, or hobbies or to help others don't need approval from others that their life is worthwhile- so long as they feel it- that's enough.

I think the majority of people don't enjoy feeling depressed. I imagine feelings around hopelessness and futility lead to depression- so- they try to avoid them where they can.

Who's right at the end of the day? No one knows. I guess I find it kind of curious though that nihilists sometimes seem to wear their outlook as a badge of honour. They know the truth. They understand the futility of reality. But- then what? They can't change it. If they can't kill themselves, they're stuck here in their mental torture chamber. I don't know- maybe the normies are delusional but- who's living the more peaceful life? It's not to say that I think nihilism is all bad. I think it can stop someone from acting like a mug and being taken advantage of. I think cynicism can sometimes protect us in this world which seems hell bent on exploiting everyone. Still- sometimes I have to wonder what it's like to just not consider suicide as an option. Then- I imagine I might try and make myself have a more positive outlook.

DEATH IS FREEDOM

DEATH IS FREEDOM

Death is the solution to unsolvable problems.
Sep 13, 2023
I agree - life is meaningless. Only survival instinct keeps life alive - and for what reason? Everything is limited in time and everything will die. Time changes everything. Time destroys everything. I am completely meaningless among 8 billion people.

Reactions: sserafim, Homo erectus, conarc and 2 others
anhedonicNfoggy

anhedonicNfoggy

i don’t know
Aug 7, 2023
There is no meaning of life. We just exist, and die. And life goes on, and on, and on. For million, billion of years, etc etc etc.

We are just a speck of dust in the vast universe, in the grand scheme of things.

Of course, 90% (or 99%?) of people (human beings) will always try to find or give 'meaning/purpose' in their own insignificant lives, because the reason is simple: it's survival instinct. Human beings (people) will (usually) try to keep living, keep surviving, no matter what. It's evolutionary. It's in human nature.
Even if it means people (humans) will create anything as their toxic positivity & optimism bias, especially in today's world/era.
But it all still doesn't make it true.
It's just delusions, illusions, fantasy, wishful-thinking, & human's futile hope, wishes, imaginations, dreams, expectations, theories, etc etc etc
But it's not the harsh reality/truth/facts, because people don't want to hear the harsh reality/truth/fact. People only want to hear good things only (most people), even if it's in their own denial, ignorance, blind faith, naivety, simple-mindedness, & stupidity.

There is no meaning of life.
But I think to regular people, it doesn't matter if they have an actual worthwhile impact to the world. I don't either and don't think it's possible anyways given all the shit in this world. But at least they can enjoy the journey. For me, I just want to fast forward

vitbar

vitbar

Escaped Lunatic
Jun 4, 2023
Honestly I draw comfort from being a mote in god's eye. I like things that strike awe and give a sense of scale. My problems don't seem so much.

I can't personally be sure it is meaningless. I don't seem to have access to any certainty in either direction.

Also if everything is meaningless what does that fact matter? It too is meaningless. Why force a value judgement on it?

Reactions: Homo erectus
Tobacco

Tobacco

Efilist. Possible promortalist.
Jan 14, 2023
It's so sad that not even everyone can have local meaning as described by David Benatar.

Universal meaning is like a God given mission and that you are a very important piece of this creation.

Local meaning is like being a doctor or a mother.

He says he doesn't believe in universal meaning but we can have local meaning. I feel pretty destroyed by the fact that I'm only a replaceable gear in this economic machine.

CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Injury damage disabl hard talk no argu make fun et
Sep 17, 2022
Yea life all nonsns 0 mean nomore, all flow rndm no choice ppl prtnd life ok ignore all awfl ,yea ppl want avoid truth make illusn life, v awfl life v awfl species, now see me injury damage nobod care nobod know all ignore all prtnd nothin, rly life awfl nonsns all make pain affr

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: conarc, annointed_towers and pthnrdnojvsc
snowcloud9

snowcloud9

I’m Cold
Sep 9, 2023
Have you read into absurdism? I'm don't like nihilism, but I like the perspective of absurdism, which is similar.

Reactions: sserafim
S

Suspect_Device

Student
Jul 10, 2022
There's 8 billion people on the planet. Nothing matters. I could find comfort in that at one point but now that physical pain and chronic illness has entered the picture for me that comfort is gone and everyday is horrible.