N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am not sure whether I ever posted such a thread hopefully not.

Here I will list some:

I think for being educated, reflective and self-aware it is essential to know some ways how our brain can deceive our perception.

1. Confirmation bias: The tendency to search for, interpret, and remember information in a way that confirms one's preconceptions

2. Hindsight bias: The inclination to see past events as more predictable than they actually were

3. Negativity bias: The tendency to give more weight to negative experiences over positive ones

4. Availability heuristic: The tendency to overestimate the likelihood of events based on how easily they come to mind

5. Anchoring bias: The tendency to rely too heavily on the first piece of information encountered when making decisions

6. Bandwagon effect: The tendency to do or believe things because many other people do or believe the same

7. Sunk cost fallacy: The inclination to continue investing time, money, or effort into something because of what has already been invested

8. Self-serving bias: The tendency to attribute positive outcomes to oneself and negative outcomes to external factors

9. Fundamental attribution error: The inclination to overemphasize dispositional (internal) explanations for others' behavior and underemphasize situational (external) explanations

10. Illusory superiority: The tendency for individuals to overestimate their own abilities and qualities relative to others.

11. Dunning-Kruger effect: The tendency for unskilled individuals to overestimate their abilities and skilled individuals to underestimate their abilities

12. Curse of knowledge: The difficulty in imagining what it's like not to know something that you already know

13. False consensus effect: The tendency to overestimate the extent to which others share our beliefs and behaviors

14. Illusion of control: The belief that one can control or influence outcomes that are actually determined by chance or outside factors

15. Mere exposure effect: The tendency to develop a preference for things simply because they are familiar

16. Reactance: The tendency to do the opposite of what someone asks you to do in order to maintain your freedom of choice .

17. Stereotyping: The act of assuming that individuals with certain characteristics possess specific traits or behaviors.

18. Status quo bias: The preference for things to remain the same, even if change would be beneficial.

19. In-group bias: The tendency to favor individuals within your own group over those outside of it.

20. Halo effect: The tendency to assume that people who possess one positive trait also possess other positive traits.

21. Bystander effect: The tendency to assume that someone else will take action in an emergency situation, leading to inaction

22. Endowment effect: The tendency to overvalue something simply because you own it

23. False uniqueness effect: The tendency to underestimate the extent to which others share our positive traits and abilities

24. Framing effect: The way information is presented can influence our decisions and judgments

25. Gambler's fallacy: The belief that past events influence the likelihood of future events, even when the two are unrelated

26. Just-world bias: The belief that people get what they deserve in life, leading to victim blaming and a lack of empathy for those who are suffering

27. Moral licensing: The tendency to feel justified in engaging in immoral behavior after doing something good

28. Outcome bias: The tendency to judge a decision based on its outcome rather than the quality of the decision-making process itself

29. Pareidolia: The tendency to perceive meaningful patterns or images in random or vague stimuli.

30. Semmelweis reflex: The tendency to reject new evidence or knowledge because it contradicts established norms, beliefs, or paradigms.

31. The ostrich effect: The tendency to avoid negative information and bury one's head in the sand like an ostrich

32. The planning fallacy: The tendency to underestimate the time and resources required to complete a task

33. The spotlight effect: The belief that others are paying more attention to us than they actually are

34. The IKEA effect: The tendency to overvalue things that we have put effort into creating or building

35. The illusory truth effect: The tendency to believe that information is true simply because we have heard it before.

Are some of the examples counterintuitive for you? Do you relate to some of them or do you have a diametrical experience with?

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Forever Sleep and ClownWorld2023
C

ClownWorld2023

Arcanist
Sep 18, 2023
You are right.

I think I'm victim to countless of the biases you mentioned here.

It's too difficult to think and function properly when suffering 24/7.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm guilty of a lot of those! šŸ˜¬. I guess they make it easier sometimes for us to manage the world by making assumptions but you're right- they can be pretty limiting and harmful. I guess- being aware of them as a coping mechanism can help.

I probably used to like the idea of 'Just-world' balance. Not so much in terms of people that suffer deserve it- that's mean. More in terms of karma. This hope that people who do terrible things will one day receive retribution magically. Life has taught me that one's bullshit.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223