HyenaRadio

HyenaRadio

Very troubled
Apr 5, 2023
So I've been going to therapy for about about two months and it was pretty okay, things were going well. I also thought they took my insurance which was perfect. But now I realize that they don't and now I'm down $200 dollars out of nowhere. Now I only have $8 in my bank account to pay for everything else I need for the rest of the month! Apart of me feels like they mislead me on the expenses on purpose.
I have no clue what to do. I kinda like therapy and I thought it helped a little. But I can't pay $100 a month for it. No therapy and no money is going to drive me crazy.

• Hugs
Reactions: Caramelized, chloramine, LivideLamb and 4 others
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
So I've been going to therapy for about about two months and it was pretty okay, things were going well. I also thought they took my insurance which was perfect. But now I realize that they don't and now I'm down $200 dollars out of nowhere. Now I only have $8 in my bank account to pay for everything else I need for the rest of the month! Apart of me feels like they mislead me on the expenses on purpose.
I have no clue what to do. I kinda like therapy and I thought it helped a little. But I can't pay $100 a month for it. No therapy and no money is going to drive me crazy.
Its best never to take things for granted. "I thought they took my insurance" is not as good as "I checked whether they will take my insurance and the answer was [...whatever it was ...]". However, that doesn't help with your immediate problem. One way to get what we can loosely call "therapy" is to find a forum for people who are in a similar situation to yourself. You don't say why you wanted therapy, so I can't be more specific. Other people in your situation will be able to give you advice, it won't cost you anything, and it may even be better than advice from a professional therapist because they will know what they are talking about since they have lived it themselves. Good luck.

Reactions: HyenaRadio
Untimely

Untimely

Student
Apr 21, 2023
i get it. i feel like it is mainly a scam to try to get money out of desperate people, but i still try to use it anyways

AshClouds

AshClouds

In time I started growing inward.
Apr 10, 2023
Insurance only covers doctors that are in their network. You should call your insurance company and see which doctors they cover. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they're covering the one you have, os you might have to switch to a new therapist whether or not you'd want to stay with your current one.

Tapir

Tapir

Tapirus pinchaque
Feb 12, 2022
You may have already thought of these things but just in case - some things you can try are

1) If you felt like you possibly could, you could tell your therapist that you found the treatment helpful but that your insurance does not cover it and ask if it was possible for them to see you at a lower cost. That might not be possible for them, but it never hurts to ask, especially if you've found a therapist that was helpful.

2) If you're in the US, you can also call your insurance and see if they accept your therapist as an out of network provider. It really varies but sometimes you (or your therapist) can do the paperwork and the insurance company will pay for some of it.

If you need to find another provider, as other folks have mentioned, you can call your insurance and ask for a list of in network providers to be sure you get someone in network. The insurance company can also verify if there is a co-pay or anything else you have to pay to see that therapist.

3) Twice in my life I have had very little extra money or no health insurance (or both, yay America!) and I have seen a doctoral student at a university. These are folks training to be psychologists and many of them have masters' degrees and years of experience being a therapist under someone else's license. The sessions are observed on a remote camera or the student's notes are reviewed by their instructor who is a professor. Sometimes these arrangements only last a certain number of weeks (8 or 12) but I saw someone for the 9 months of their program.

I hope that you can find something that works for you.

Reactions: TiredOrbit