melkiy_chas_mnye

melkiy_chas_mnye

Dec 21, 2021
Hello everyone, the title of this topic will be the main elements mentioned

I was thinking of going to therapy, since there were people, encouraging me more and more to do it, and 'give it a try' at least.

But there is also this fear, since age of 12, for me.
And why? The reason was that I lived in a one-room apartment with my grandmother, who was ill with breast cancer and Parkinson's, and due to the complications, she needed my child and tween self for assistance, while also isolating me from almost everyone.

One time, I got a mental breakdown, but since I am from a country in Eastern Europe, used an outdated term as 'neurosis' towards me.
The doctors at the children's hospital came to a conclusion that they suspected i had clinical depression and schizophrenia.

Next time I was taken to a different children's hospital, with another mental breakdown and a suicide attempt (grandmother's prescription drugs, cutting, and suffocating altogether)
I was with a 39 degree in Celsius fever, and then said I had signs of bipolar disorder, a nice lady doctor asked if I wanted to stay for a few extra days, for further evaluation, I was scared of my education and job opportunities being ripped off since that early, and I said no.

The school psychologist worked with me as well, but suspected me in slight signs of autism and ADHD.
The social worker in school suspected me in depression.
My 14 and 15 year old was too embarrassed and ashamed to seek further help and I never spoke to any of them again, after the primary school graduation.
My family used to discourage me from any therapy and help seeking, saying they would make me a drug addict, and 'numb'.
Years passed, did more research, and now deciding whether it will be a good idea or not.
But I wanted to also ask others: Does a neurodivergence, mental illness restrict or 'expell' from college and university education?

codedarchaeologist

codedarchaeologist

everybody ends up where the river meets the sea
Jan 21, 2023
I mean, I can't speak for everywhere in the world, but in my experience of getting an ADHD diagnosis in college, it's been a (maybe literal) lifesaver. Colleges usually have systems in place where you can get special allowances, like extra exam time or lienience on essay due dates, for a doctor's recommendations. Then the treatment itself has been unbelievably helpful. If you made a venn diagram of the days ive taken my adhd meds and the days ive been able to work on projects, the circles would just be completely on top of each other. I would not pass my classes without this diagnosis.

CrystalR

CrystalR

“Where civil blood makes Civil hands unclean”
Feb 25, 2023
First off, it's a shame that you never got the help you deserved, but it's great you're willing to try again. As for your concerns about schooling I have no idea about western schools, but schools here in fuzhou have extremely strict limitations, And if you are unable to pass the (高考)-eastern equivalent to ACT/SAT in the states and the GMAT elsewhere, schools will not accept you. They did have me take a competence test but I believe that is only standard in fujian province. Sorry if I didn't help.

thx1138

thx1138

Student
Jun 28, 2019
I don't know about the specific country you are in, but seeking treatment should not make it harder for you to go to college or find employment. There is no way for college/work to see your full medical records. Unless you somehow volunteer this information on your own. Only your doctor(s) can see this record, I think. And even if you decide to tell the university, they still shouldn't be able to "expell" you for that. Perhaps the best would be to go to the university administration and ask what their policy regarding mental illness is. Maybe they can even give you some accommodations. I come from a very, very similar situation. I can give you more info if you want to DM me. I hope you find the help you need.