𖣂𖣂𖣂.

𖣂𖣂𖣂.

𖣂
May 26, 2023
Are they just people you vent too or are they people that give you advice (or both)?

Holu

Holu

Hypomania go brrr
Apr 5, 2023
Whilst both is definitely the correct answer, in all honesty it depends on the therapist. Some of them seem like they couldn't care less of a shit and scarcely will talk to you at all, making them more for venting. Some and from my experience most will try to offer advice and problem solve, and should you exceed over like 20 sessions with no signs of progress they might choose to discontinue/abandon.

Again tho, it honestly depends on the therapist themselves. You can always ask for them to take a more existentialist or humanistic approach to your sessions if you feel like your more there for venting.

As with all shit that involves professionals, trend lightly around your words. Unless you wanna be involuntarily hospitalized, make sure they don't perceive you being in immediate danger.

Reactions: WhyWasIBorn
Upvote 0
W

Whistea

Jul 29, 2022
From how it was explained to me, it seems both are correct, but with a bigger focus on the latter. Let's be real here, just venting to people won't do you any good, if you have serious mental issues. Apparently you tell them their problems and they (should) have the knowledge to help you out with behavioral therapy, telling you what to do when you feel a certain way or analyze your feelings and emotions based on your circumstances and offer solutions that'll help deal with them.

Upvote 0
Alltheywanted

Alltheywanted

I'll just lay here and die
Mar 6, 2023
For me, it's both.
I vent to her everytime i go there and she always seems to care and gives me some advices. She's the only person that i openly talk with about my CTB plans, SH etc. She was the first one to diagnose me with autism and rn we're trying to teach me to distinguish my emotions.

Upvote 0
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
You'll find different approaches, but personally I don't think a therapist's role is to give advice. A friend or family member can give you advice, and that's great, but if advice is all you need, you're unlikely to end up in therapy. You'd simply follow the advice someone gives you. A bit of a funny coincidence, but I saw a tweet about this exact thing earlier, along with a scene from the HBO show In Treatment.
- Do you think that she would take your advice?
- She just wants me to give her love and... and... and support.
- But, if she were capable of receiving love and support she wouldn't be coming to you for them. That's her real problem, and until it's treated, she won't be able to take anyone's advice. And that's why she needs therapy.

Upvote 0