Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
A theory of everything (TOE or ToE), final theory, ultimate theory, or master theory is a hypothetical, singular, all-encompassing, coherent theoretical framework of physics that fully explains and links together all physical aspects of the universe.

Some examples of attempts at ToEs:
  • Garrett Lisi's An Exceptionally Simple Theory of Everything, based on E8, a mathematical structure​
  • Stephen Wolfram's fundamental theory of physics, based on cellular automata and graph theory​
  • Eric Weinstein's theory of Geometric Unity
  • Max Tegmark's Mathematical Universe Hypothesis (MUH)
  • String Theory
  • Loop Quantum Gravity
None of these theories have yet been shown to be adequate to fully account for reality as we observe it.

While not typically considered a ToE, Superdeterminism is another approach in physics, an idea that was and still is dismissed by many, but has seen some revival thanks to physicists including Sabine Hossenfelder, Gerard 't Hooft (a Nobel laureate), and Tim Palmer. These individuals have suggested that there may be deterministic processes underlying quantum mechanics (QM), and that the probabilistic nature of QM is a sign of its incompleteness, rather than being a sign that the universe is fundamentally probabilistic. I really like this idea. I'm fond of Einstein's words "God does not play dice with the universe".

Do you have any favoured ideas about the ultimate nature of reality?​

Reactions: Lostandlooking, BottomlessPit, Ame and 5 others
Callie Arcale

Callie Arcale

It’s a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing
Feb 10, 2021
Considering only 5% of the universe is made up of what we call ordinary matter and energy, and the rest 95% is stuff we can't detect directly, I think we're a long way from coming up with a theory of everything.

I wish I had been born a couple of hundred years later, though. Imagine all the discoveries that will be made in the future!

What really hurts my mind is the idea that universes arise spontaneously out of nothing, according to quantum physics.

All this pain and suffering... out of nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ame and Superdeterminist
BeyondGoodNEvil

BeyondGoodNEvil

Jun 22, 2020
I feel like even if we do learn the nature of our reality it aint gonna change anything
i do think the universe runs of predetermined path tough the questions remains why tough.

Reactions: Ame and Superdeterminist
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
I feel like even if we do learn the nature of our reality it aint gonna change anything

Sentient beings suffer & die & the universe is indifferent to that fact. Everything else is irrelevant to me

Reactions: Journeytoletgo and Superdeterminist
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
i do think the universe runs of predetermined path tough the questions remains why tough.
I think something should change, I mean generally speaking it seems that we are able to make larger changes to the world as we gain more information. So if we can get a theory that predicts the universe well, it should give us some greater power in influencing what happens, so that we can reduce the things we don't like happening and increase the things we do like. I do also think that it's all predestined, I think that inevitably there has to be a fundamental thing at the base of reality, that just is, without reason.

Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Considering only 5% of the universe is made up of what we call ordinary matter and energy, and the rest 95% is stuff we can't detect directly, I think we're a long way from coming up with a theory of everything.

I wish I had been born a couple of hundred years later, though. Imagine all the discoveries that will be made in the future!

What really hurts my mind is the idea that universes arise spontaneously out of nothing, according to quantum physics.

All this pain and suffering... out of nothing.
The "how can someone come from nothing?" question is a classic. It's one of life's biggest questions for sure. I heard someone suggesting that there was never nothing, there is something eternal at the foundation of reality, beyond time. And I now I'm on board with that idea. Now, does that 'eternal something' have a mind? This seems to be the the distinction between theism and naturalism.

Reactions: Callie Arcale
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
Theory of everything is impossible due to incompleteness theorems and the other related ones like halting problem. Humans are such an arrogant species.

The universe is arbitrarily large and humans are arbitrarily small. Even if they continue researching and discovering new things, this is an endless loop because:

The universe is arbitrarily large and that means it acts as infinite input, the process of understanding, verifying, researching, etc infinite input is endless.

Humans are not always advancing and there is always a probability of deteriorating. That means even if we assume there is a consistent method of research and advancement, its practically not consistent. The world as we see it is actually slowly advancing and has a lot of problems. Wars, disasters, pandemics, politics and more prevents the advancement and the research and can even make things go backwards.

The death of human beings and the extinction of the species is actually inevitable. That means whatever result humans get is futile. Immortality is impossible because it actually needs to check arbitrarily large amount of space and time to prove that death will not happen.

Think about it, its not complicated to understand. The universe is large and if someone wants to prove a universal rule, they need to check and verify the whole universe.

If we want to know if a theory is true of false, there are two possibilities as a result. Its either true or false. If we try to check the whole universe to see if it's either true or false, that's exactly what Entscheidungsproblem is. Which is actually impossible.

If someone says it's always an approximation, then its not universal. Furthermore, the process of getting more accurate approximation is an endless loop also.

Reactions: Callie Arcale