Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Seriously. We have a major war in Europe and the Middle-East, right now, and wild storms like Hurricane Helene claiming hundreds of lives and destruction to homes, businesses and the environment. Which, a lot of scientists said that it was caused by global warming. I swear, humans, have fucked up this planet to almost apocalyptic destruction! What next the Zombie Apoloclypse or Purges happening all over the world. I used to think that preppers were over-prepared, but now I am starting to understand them more. Are we just doomed at this point or do you think things are still salvageable? What a time to be alive. Damn!

Ee

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Praying 4 a Miracle, Forever Sleep, wren-briar and 8 others
mango-meridian

mango-meridian

Apr 5, 2024
I definitely sometimes wish I could just watch what's happening in the world (for my own morbid curiosity's sake) but not have to participate in it.

Reactions: wren-briar, CatLvr and Lost Magic
geogaddi_676

geogaddi_676

Jul 12, 2023
The majority of climate scientists seem very concerned, as we are truly going into uncharted territory, while the world seems awash in ignorance and division. I plan on spending the day out in a forest tomorrow, with some good music and wine, some talks from people I love ,this will bring me peace and escape from it all, trying my best to enjoy the "good days" while I can. There are some interesting people on YT who discuss possible solutions to the Metacrisis, such as Daniel Schmactenberger, Nate Hagens, Peter Joseph etc, if you are someone who needs some hope that systemic changes are not only necessary, but possible. Personally it feels like we have left compounding issues too late, and huge catastrophic and likely irreversible changes are coming, but maybe I am just a doomer and focussing on the negatives. I find the more informed people are, the more worried and concerned they seem to be, so best to stay ignorant and just live life I guess.

Reactions: Praying 4 a Miracle, wren-briar, landslide2 and 1 other person
KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Paragon
Apr 15, 2024
I used to think that preppers were over-prepared, but now I am starting to understand them more.
The government in my country literally sent all residents here a letter on how to prep with basic things like flashlights, canned foods and cash in case of emergency, lol. I haven't read it... I want to NOT survive an emergency, lol.

• Yay!
Reactions: Praying 4 a Miracle, wren-briar, PurPurAstie and 2 others
EternalShore

EternalShore

Hardworking Lass who Dreams of Love~ šŸ’•āœØ
Jun 9, 2023
the last year where there was both a major war in the Middle East and Europe simultaneously was 1991 (or sooner if you consider Chechnya part of Europe) and considering that's when the Soviet Union fell, it was a pretty good year. Hurricanes happen every year. The only reason why we have less reports of them in the past is because we have less of everything in the past~
People blow up literally everything~ The January 6th storming suddenly became an insurrection, there's a big scare every time someone in Kansas or Mongolia gets the black death~ Nothing ever happens. Well, except that, considering you're here, society decides to screw you over~ That always happens~

Last edited:
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, InversedShadow and Lost Magic
landslide2

landslide2

Arcanist
May 6, 2024
The only positive trend seems to be birth rates plummeting globally.
The climate can only be addressed collectively, globally and the wealthiest who haven been driving us off the cliff still fight systemic changes, buying influence and thwarting change. Doesn't help that boomer politicians are in charge everywhere. They'll be dead as it gets worse and worse. The billionaires will be unaffected living in the castles they're building with moats. I'm amazed how many people still are climate denialists, the billionaires love these people.
AI uses an incredible amount of energy.

Reactions: wren-briar, Praying 4 a Miracle, Forever Sleep and 2 others
H

Hotsackage

Enlightened
Mar 11, 2019
These days we idolize elon musk, when it should be carl sagan.....

Reactions: wren-briar, Praying 4 a Miracle, ConstantPain and 2 others
P

pariah80

Aug 12, 2024
Are we just doomed at this point or do you think things are still salvageable?
I wouldn't hold my breath on things getting fixed anytime soon. There's hope, then there's lying to oneself.

Reactions: wren-briar, Praying 4 a Miracle and Lost Magic
Just_Another_Person

Just_Another_Person

Student
Sep 16, 2024
Lower the tone on the apocalyptic speech, you almost makes it sound like the world gonna end before the end of the year lol

First Israel vs Iran is not a major war/conflict, for it to be considered a major war it would need be between two or more of the most powerful countries. Neither are. If the USA get involved it most probably would be indirectly, like supplying weapons and other things, direct action against Iran wouldn't be a smart decision in the long plan.

Second, as I said previously, it need 2 of the most powerful countries to be considered a major conflict and while Russia is one, Ukraine isn't. Back when it started some people were paranoid it would start WW III, which it didn't and won't. Russia doesn't want all of Ukraine but half of it to act like a buffer zone between its territory and NATO. While a "definitive win" could take more than a decade from now, a cease-fire like South Korea and North Korea is more probable.

While Hurricane Helene killed a lot of people, saying it claimed hundreds of lives is exaggerated. The current death toll is around 130-175 (idk the official number but most of the news seems to report in that range) and if you include "future deaths" or "indirect deaths" it will be around 300, then I guess you could say it claimed hundreds of lives.

Environment however is a real issue that should be prioritized since some effects of global warming are happening before the expected date but there is still time to salvage the situation (even if we are in the water by the neck).

Reactions: wren-briar, Praying 4 a Miracle and PurPurAstie
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Lower the tone on the apocalyptic speech, you almost makes it sound like the world gonna end before the end of the year lol

First Israel vs Iran is not a major war/conflict, for it to be considered a major war it would need be between two or more of the most powerful countries. Neither are. If the USA get involved it most probably would be indirectly, like supplying weapons and other things, direct action against Iran wouldn't be a smart decision in the long plan.

Second, as I said previously, it need 2 of the most powerful countries to be considered a major conflict and while Russia is one, Ukraine isn't. Back when it started some people were paranoid it would start WW III, which it didn't and won't. Russia doesn't want all of Ukraine but half of it to act like a buffer zone between its territory and NATO. While a "definitive win" could take more than a decade from now, a cease-fire like South Korea and North Korea is more probable.

While Hurricane Helene killed a lot of people, saying it claimed hundreds of lives is exaggerated. The current death toll is around 130-175 (idk the official number but most of the news seems to report in that range) and if you include "future deaths" or "indirect deaths" it will be around 300, then I guess you could say it claimed hundreds of lives.

Environment however is a real issue that should be prioritized since some effects of global warming are happening before the expected date but there is still time to salvage the situation (even if we are in the water by the neck).
Well, As of January 23, 2024, the Doomsday Clock is still set at 90 seconds to midnight, the closest it has ever been to midnight since its creation in 1947. And while there is no offical death toll for Hurricane Helene, it will continue to rise as they find more bodies. It has said to be the worst natural disaster in modern times. And the shear scope of the damage, as you know, is devastating. While I admire your optimism, we still need it, I still stick to my views as we have failed as a species overall. And Nuclear war is a very real threat to the world and if it continues to expand, God knows were the road leads to. AI will most likely be abused by humans as well. I actually wrote an extensive post about all the problems in the world, entitled: Sick World. https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/sick-world.100713/
Which you can read and discuss if you like. I just wanted to stay more focused in this post on the latest goings on. Peace!

Last edited:
Reactions: wren-briar, Praying 4 a Miracle and landslide2
rih

rih

Aug 23, 2024
The only huge impact on the current world is climate change and the growing disparity between the working and upper class, everything else with natural disasters and wars are pretty on par with news over the last 30 or so years.

Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
The only huge impact on the current world is climate change and the growing disparity between the working and upper class, everything else with natural disasters and wars are pretty on par with news over the last 30 or so years.
Yeah, but who is causing climate change and the disparity and division between the rich and the poor? Self-entitled, greedy assholes with nothing better to do. I am sure they will try to fuck up Mars next as well. They may as well build a Death Star up there too

Reactions: wren-briar and landslide2
rih

rih

Aug 23, 2024
Yeah, but who is causing climate change and the disparity and division between the rich and the poor? Self-entitled, greedy assholes with nothing better to do. I am sure they will try to fuck up Mars next as well. They may as well build a Death Star up there too
I mean I don't need to google to assume the top contributing companies will be fossil fuel/finite resource companies (who also did the whole incentive for carbon footprint to try push us to do better rather than them)

Outrage is what keeps people complacent, news is just outage nowadays with the stipend of a little "feel good" at the end. There's really no point in keeping up with it unless you've a genuine interest in the event or a concern, or an interest in the political differences/situation

Reactions: wren-briar
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I mean I don't need to google to assume the top contributing companies will be fossil fuel/finite resource companies (who also did the whole incentive for carbon footprint to try push us to do better rather than them)

Outrage is what keeps people complacent, news is just outage nowadays with the stipend of a little "feel good" at the end. There's really no point in keeping up with it unless you've a genuine interest in the event or a concern, or an interest in the political differences/situation
Yep, and it keeps everybody divided and in their place. Good job we have a plethora of cute animal videos on YouTube (The Dodo channel is the best) to remind everybody that the earth still has creatures worth fighting for!

Reactions: wren-briar and landslide2
rih

rih

Aug 23, 2024
Yep, and it keeps everybody divided and in their place. Good job with have a plethora of cute animal videos on YouTube (The Dodo channel is good) to remind everybody that the earth still has creatures worth fighting for!
My favourite animals are Otters.
Adorable things

Reactions: wren-briar and Praying 4 a Miracle
F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023
I don't even care,let the motherfucker burn.

• Yay!
Reactions: wren-briar and Lost Magic
Just_Another_Person

Just_Another_Person

Student
Sep 16, 2024
Well, As of January 23, 2024, the Doomsday Clock is still set at 90 seconds to midnight, the closest it has ever been to midnight since its creation in 1947. And while there is no offical death toll for Hurricane Helene, it will continue to rise as they find more bodies. It has said to be the worst natural disaster in modern times. And the shear scope of the damage, as you know, is devastating. While I admire your optimism, we still need it, I still stick to my views as we have failed as a species overall. And Nuclear war is a very real threat to the world and if it continues to expand, God knows were the road leads to. AI will most likely be abused by humans as well. I actually wrote an extensive post about all the problems in the world, entitled: Sick World. https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/sick-world.100713/
Which you can read and discuss if you like. I just wanted to stay more focused in this post on the latest goings on. Peace!
While the Doomsday clock is is somewhat relevant, their methodology isn't clear and already received a lot of criticism either related to its accuracy or "objective". Also it has been more than a year since a movement was made and a lot of things happened. I don't have any idea where you got that Helene is said to be the worst natural disaster in modern times but it is far from it. The Haiti Earthquake for example killed at least 100,000 and if you mean just the USA, Huricanes Katrina and Maria for example, far passes the death toll caused (and will be caused) by Helen. Nuclear war is threat, but the MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) doctrine prevents it from actually happening, sure there will be countries like North Korea making threats and whatnot, but is basically impossible for it to really happen since everyone dies. Climate change is the worst threat to humanity (and other species) and should be addressed now, but there is still time (even if it is just 6-12 years).

I'm not an optimistic, I just don't agree with fear mongering.

Reactions: wren-briar
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
While the Doomsday clock is is somewhat relevant, their methodology isn't clear and already received a lot of criticism either related to its accuracy or "objective". Also it has been more than a year since a movement was made and a lot of things happened. I don't have any idea where you got that Helene is said to be the worst natural disaster in modern times but it is far from it. The Haiti Earthquake for example killed at least 100,000 and if you mean just the USA, Huricanes Katrina and Maria for example, far passes the death toll caused (and will be caused) by Helen. Nuclear war is threat, but the MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) doctrine prevents it from actually happening, sure there will be countries like North Korea making threats and whatnot, but is basically impossible for it to really happen since everyone dies. Climate change is the worst threat to humanity (and other species) and should be addressed now, but there is still time (even if it is just 6-12 years).

I'm not an optimistic, I just don't agree with fear mongering.
Well, call it what you like, but a spade is still a spade. I just opened my eyes to the stark horrors that mankind has created. I put on my They Live (if you have seen that movie) shades lol. Anyway, I don't blame you for wanting to create a more painterly picture. There is still a lot of beauty in the world, but humans are the biggest threat to the planet than any other species. At least that's the way I see it. Remember the old saying: the road to hell is paved with good intentions. People may want to do great things (and it varies from person to person what those things are) but their actions don't live up to their promises. World leaders are a prime example of that!

Last edited:
Reactions: wren-briar and Praying 4 a Miracle
landslide2

landslide2

Arcanist
May 6, 2024
Nuclear war is threat, but the MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction) doctrine prevents it from actually happening, sure there will be countries like North Korea making threats and whatnot, but is basically impossible for it to really happen since everyone dies.
If you have never watched it before, Fog of War is a documentary worth seeing.
Lesson #2 Rationality will not save us

Last edited:
Reactions: wren-briar, Praying 4 a Miracle and Lost Magic
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
If you have never watched it before, Fog of War is a documentary worth seeing.
Lesson #2 Rationality will not save us
Yes, very good documentary. Thanks for sharing! The Day After (1983) and the British version Threads (1984) are also good watches. They are more of a what if scenario but they did make a lot of people take notice, including world leaders, at the time.

Reactions: wren-briar, Praying 4 a Miracle and landslide2